Style: Modified Cape style home with 1/2 story on second floor, Federal style door surround
Other features: bracketed vestibule
Original owner: Henry Pasho (1822 - 1890)
Themes: Agriculture, Architectural, Community development
Henry F. Pasho Jr. was born in Andover on Oct. 10, 1822 son of Henry F & Nancy Abbot Pasho. Henry Jr. was educated in the public schools and first entered the Ballardvale Woolen Mills, then owned by John Marland. A few years later he entered the employ of David Baker, working as a laborer on Baker's farm. About 1847 Henry Jr. then went to work for the Boston & Maine Railroad on the construction train building the new line to the city of Lawrence, and on the Manchester, NH. He eventually rose to the position as one of the most trusted engineers on the line. It has been state that Henry ran the first train over the line form Lawrence to Manchester. Henry retired from the railroad and live then quiet life of a farmer on Summer Street.
Henry married on April 26, 1846 to Frances Sarah Richardson b. Oct. 10, 1827 in Charlestown, MA, daughter of David & Eliza (Kingsbury) Richardson. Henry & Eliza had four children: George Henry b. July 15, 1849 - d. Dec. 18, 1918, Laura Frances b. July 13, 1854 - d. Apr. 12, 1910, Lizzie Abbott b. Nov. 7, 1857 - d. Apr. 4, 1929 and Joseph W. b. June 3, 1861 died Sept.12, 1873 at age 12.
Henry's wife Frances died of heart disease on Jan. 20, 1897. Henry had been afflicted by deafness for the last 15 years of his life and during that time his health began to fail. He died on July 26, 1904 at Lawrence General Hospital, after a fall at home in which he broke his hip. Henry Jr. was survived by town daughters; Mrs. Laura F. Clark, wife of Charles W. Clark and Mar. Lizzie A. Wilson, wife of Howell Wilson and one son George H. Pasho, an engineer on the southern division of the B & M. Railroad at the time of his father's death.
The property went to daughter Laura F. and her husband Charles. Laura died in 1910 and Charles inherited the property. With the death of Charles the property was then sold at aution for $333.33 to John J. Driscoll on May 2, 1921. In the 1920 Andover Valuation schedule Henry Pasho was taxed for his house at 36 Summer Street and 2 1/2 acres of land. As he had died in 1904, this presumably meant his heirs. He farmed at 11 Summer Street in 1888 Directory, which by 1901 Directory had been re-numbered to 36 ).
This is due to sale of lots in 1900 when Nathaniel Whittier estate was broken up and sold individually. Pasho's farm in 1906 extended across the street all the way to Chestnut St. A street was cut up through the middle of that property and Pasho Street named after him. Pasho Street was laid out and then accepted by town in 1924 ( Bessie Goldsmith pg. 79). Henry F. Pasho and family members are interred at Spring Grove Cemetery.
Lizzie Wilson's interest in the property was then quit claimed in 1921 when the estate of Charles Wilson was sold off by Arthur P. Chickering the Administrator to John J. Driscoll. With Driscolls' death Mary F. Collins inherits the property by 1971. Collins sold to Infop Realty Trust; Salvatore J. & Elaine E. DeSalvo, trustees on 19 Jan 1973.
DeSalvo was a contractor in Andover and later became the Building Inspector for the town.
Lewis C. & Mary Jane Trumbore then purchased the property on Apr. 5, 1973 and owned for 12 years. Trumbore began restoration on the home.
Charles E. & Verne N. Friese were the next owners on Oct. 15, 1985 and held the property eight years then selling to Roger R. & Janet C. Bentley on Aug. 9, 1993.
John C. & Christine J. Baldwin purchased the home on Aug. 23, 2002. Christine Baldwin continues as owner of record in 2016
Added by Barbara Thibault (24 Jan 1991):
Visual analysis: Greek Revival style (1820 - 1860); not on 1830 map, deed copies in owner's possession record 1844 sale between Thomas C. Foster and Henry F. Pasho Jr.. No marriage record in VR for Henry F. Jr., son of Henry F & Nancy Abbot Pasho (m. 1821)
Chimney location indicate heat by wood burning stove, popular circa 1830. 1884 map shows 2 barns on Summer Street belonging to Pasho. North side barn may have been space converted to kitchen wing & studio bedroom. South side barn may be barn reportedly moved across the street when attached to east end of house.
The connecting barn was demolished ca. 1985 and replaced by a structure similarly connected & sited. Beams from a Vermont barn were used in new interior spaces (family room, bedroom & bathrooms) and new external siding in board and batten style.
Essex County Registry Deeds, Salem, MA
Essex Northern Registry Deeds, Lawrence, MA
Goldsmith, Bessie; "Townswoman's Andover" , 1964, pg. 79
Andover Townsman, May 4, 1900
Thomas C. Foster - 1840
Henry F. Pasho Jr.- May 10, 1844 - b. 343 leaf 230
Henry F. Pasho Jr. estate, died July 26, 1904 heirs
Laura F. (Pasho) Clark, wife of Charles W. Clark -
Laura F. (Pasho) Clark estate, Charles W. Clark heir
Charles W. Clark estate, Arthur P. Chickering Adm. - 1921 - Probate
John J. Driscoll - May 2, 1921 - b. 438 p. 191
John J. Driscoll estate, hier Mary F. Collins - will probate
Infop Realty Trust, Salvatore J. & Elaine E. DeSalvo - Jan. 6, 1973 - b. 1210 p. 766
Lewis C. & Mary Jane Trumbore - Apr. 5, 1973 - b. 1215 p. 474
Charles E. & Verne N. Friese - Oct. 15, 1985 - b. 2060 p. 280
Roger R. & Janet C. Bentley - Aug. 9, 1993 - b. 3805 p. 256
John C. & Christine J. Baldwin - Aug. 23, 2002 - b. 7035 p. 105
Christine J. Baldwin - Feb. 6, 2004 - b. 8555 p. 71
|Place||Andover Center District|
|Historic District||Not Applicable|
|Historic Name||Pasho, Henry House|
|Construction Date||ca. 1840|
|Source||ECRDS, ENRDL, style-njs|
|Architectural Style||Greek Revival|
|Roof||asphalt - gable|
|Outbuildings / Secondary Structures||board & batten barn|
|Major Alterations||remodeled (1973); sidelights replaced, original barn razed and replaced by current ell addition.|
|Demolition Details||1984 - 1985 - barn razed and new addition replaced same size and dimensions|
|Acreage||0.735 acre; lot size: 39,990 sq. ft.; approx. frontage: 110'|
|Map and parcel||21-64|
|Recorded by||Stack/Mofford, James S. Batchelder|
|Organization||Andover Preservation Commission|
|Date entered||1975-1977, 4/9/2016|