Queen Anne style
Themes: architectural, community development
Washington Ave. was constructed in 1889 and named on the Centennial of George Washington’s visit to Andover in 1789. Constructed over farm land of Charles O. Cummings, house lots were then sold off to residents and developers. By 1906 eighteen new homes had been built. Interesting to note that five new owners, Tyler, Lewis, Gray, Stiles and Caldwell were House Carpenters and Cummings and Wardwell were developers at each end of the avenue.
Aug. 30, 1889 Andover Townsman p. 4 - The new street, Washington Ave. is progressing rapidly, and from all appearances it is likely to be a good piece of road. The ledge at the Elm Street end had been blasted sufficiently, and the men are now engaged cutting down the ground above the grad and filling in the lower places. Quite a piece stretching from Summer Street is ready for the finishing touches.
October 25, 1889 AT – The new street Washington Ave. is beginning to look like a very good piece of road. The top dressing of red spring gravel is being put on.
Nov. 1, 1889 p.1 AT Commissioner Hayward has finished putting the top coat of Red Spring gravel on Washington Ave. and one sidewalk has been made the entire length
This property was once owned by Mary T. Bodwell who sold to George W. Stiles, who lived at #34 Washington Ave on Jan 6, 1897. Stiles, a house builder divided the parcel into three house lots creating #36, #38, and #40 Washington Ave. Stiles built the homes then rented until selling them.
Stiles rented this home for about 20 years. The 1900 census lists Nathan Emery, b. Feb. 1875 in Canada, worked for Tyer Rubber Co. in the molding dept. Nathan emigrated in 1891. Nathan married in 1898 to Lena E. b. May 1877 in Canada, immigrated in 1880. A two year old cousin Lala B. Rand b. Oct. 1897 in Maine is in the Emery’s care.
George Stiles sold the property to Sophia Bouleau on Sept. 30, 1920. Sophia was born Sept. 29, 1885 in Prince Edward Island, Canada, dau. of Patrick & Elizabeth (Hagen) Malone. Sophia was the middle child of nine siblings. She emigrated in 1902. Sophia married in Andover on Dec. 5, 1909 to Joseph Beaulieu (Bouleau) b. 1876 in Canada son of Gendon & Vergeni (Longlors) Beaulieu. Joseph was a Barber, listed as Hairdresser in the Musgrove Building. Joseph & Sophia had one son Joseph Augustine b. 1913 in Andover. Sadly Joseph Sr. died in 1926 and Sophia sold their home and moved to an apartment at 29 Main St.
Constance & Harry Meadowcroft purchased the house on Aug. 4, 1928. Harry Meadowcroft was born May 19, 1888 in Milnrow, Lancashire, England, son of Richard & Ann (Shepard) Meadowcroft. His family immigrated to Massachusetts in 1890, settled in Lawrence where his father was a machinist. Harry first worked in the woolen mills as a Drawer, then became a machinist in Lawrence. He later worked for J. H. Horne & Sons Company. Harry married on Dec. 24, 1912 in Lawrence to Constance Hollinghurst b. May 6, 1889 in Glasgow, Scotland, dau. of Alfred & Martha (Duddell) Hollinghurst. Constance was a bookkeeper at a woolen mill. Harry & Constance had two sons, Robert b. 1914 and Harry Jr. b. 1916.
Harry was a member of the Mason lodge in Lawrence and attended the Episcopal Church in Lawrence. Harry died of heart failure on May 2, 1951. Constance then sold the home on July 13, 1951 to Daniel A. & Mary L. Murphy, ending 24 years of ownership.
Essex Northern Registry Deeds, Lawrence, MA
Mary T. Bodwell - land
George W. Stiles - Jan 6, 1897 - b. 152 p. 261- lot of land #36 #38 #40
Sophia Bouleau - Sept. 30, 1920 - b. 431 p. 275
Constance & Harry Meadowcroft- Aug. 4, 1928 - b. 541 p. 131
Harry Meadowcroft estate, heir Constance Meadowcroft - May 2, 1951
Daniel A. & Mary L. Murphy - July 13, 1951 - b. 752 p. 181 - mtg.
Daniel A. Murphy estate, heir Mary L. Murphy
Mary L. Murphy life estate
Washington Ave Andover Realty Trust, Dennis C. & Daniel W. Murphy Trs.- Mar. 11, 1991 - b. 3327 p. 289/296
Jeremy Cyrier & Gia Rosenberg - Mar. 1, 2010 - b. 11958 p. 205
|Place||Andover Center District|
|Historic District||Andover Historic Building Survey|
|Historic Name||Bouleau – Meadowcroft House|
|Construction Date||1897 - 1898|
|Source||ECRDS, ENRDL, style-njs|
|Architectural Style||Queen Anne|
|Architect/Builder||George W. Stiles builder|
|Roof||asphalt - gable|
|Outbuildings / Secondary Structures||garage|
|Major Alterations||rear addition,|
|Map and parcel||21-101|
|Recorded by||Stack/Mofford, James S. Batchelder|
|Organization||Andover Preservation Commission|
|Date entered||1975-1977, 4/12/2016, 1/30/2020|