The home was originally built as a hip roofed one story ranch home in 1946-47. The addition of the two stall garage with bedrooms above was built in 1963.
Boston Road has had several names through the years including, Old County Rd (1915), Foster’s Pond Rd. 1930-1935, Old Boston Road and then Boston Rd. by 1937. Deeds can be confusing at first and street directories misleading as we now have a County Rd and Foster’s Pond Rd adjoining Boston Rd. What appears as a move to another street is actually a street name change. Andover Valuation Schedule add to the issue by listing the road as Main St. This area is in the South District in the Valuation lists and within the Scotland School District from 1785-1902. Only one house is listed on the road in 1906 at #5. With development came an influx of French Canadians who purchased lots on Boston Rd. It was sometimes referred to as “Frenchville” by locals.
This property was once owned by Rufus Caldwell and was part of his 75 acre farm. His house was located east of Boston Rd. between So. Main St. His estate was auctioned off after his death in October 1891. The property was purchased by Brooks F. Holt for $1500. Brooks F. home was on South Main St. and he was an Ice Dealer in town. Brooks later sold his business and began selling off parcels of the former Caldwell farm.
Fred Richards purchased the one acre lot on Boston Rd on April 20, 1916 from Brookes F. Holt. The lot extended to the corner of County Rd. In 1946 the property was subdivided into four lots. Fred had built the small cottage at 33 Boston Rd listed as a camp in 1920 and late his home at 39 Boston Rd. The two center lots between the properties were sold to Francis J. Richards as one lot #2 in 1946. Fred and wife Angelina sold the cottage to George Bernard, in Nov. 1946. George was married to Fred's sister Rose Richards.
Fred Richards sold this lot #2 to Francis J. Richards on Nov. 2, 1946. Francis then built the home on the property. Fred sold his home at 39 Boston Rd. to George J. & Laura Richards on Sept. 22, 1948. John F. & Marguerite M Cavanaugh purchased the home at 37 Boston Rd. on Aug. 10, 1950 and lived here four years.
Paul S. & Anna M. Martellucci bought the property on June 25, 1954. They would transform the single story ranch home into the split level home in 1963 with the addition of the two car garage and two bedrooms above. The Martellucci family owned the property for 58 years.
Essex County Registry Deeds, Salem, MA
Essex Northern Registry Deeds, Lawrence, MA
Map plan #2273 - Oct. 1946 - lot #2
Rufus Caldwell estate, Albert W. Caldwell Adm. - June 1, 1891 - Probate
Brooks F. Holt - Nov. 9, 1891 - b. 116 p. 41
Fred Richards - April 20, 1916 - b. 363 p. 174
Francis J. Richards, wife Eileen C - Nov. 2, 1946 - b. 691 p. 455
John F. & Marguerite M Cavanaugh - Aug. 10, 1950 - b. 740 p. 366
Paul S. & Anna M. Martellucci - June 25, 1954 bk. 793 pg. 473
Martellucci Realty Trust, Peter Martellucci , Peggie Ritzer Trs. - June 29, 2009 - b. 1675 p. 232
Jan P. & Bozena J. Niebudek - June 5, 2012 - b. 12973 p. 271
Niebudek Family Trust - Apr. 22, 2014 - b. 13828 p. 265
|Historic District||Not Applicable|
|Source||ERDS, NERDL, style,|
|Roof||gable , asphalt shingles|
|Major Alterations||2 Br & bath garage under 1-1-63|
|Acreage||0.334 acre,14,551 sq. ft., Approximate frontage 145'.|
|Map and parcel||83-55|
|Recorded by||James S. Batchelder|
|Organization||Andover Preservation Commission|
|Date entered||01/30/2006, 5/16/2018|