Federal style, center entrance farmhouse
originally built with "Central " chimney, off center; 9 rooms; double hung sash; 7 fireplaces, 2 brick ovens; (one had capacity for 75 pies)
Original owner: Capt. Stephen Abbot
Themes: aboriginal, architectural, agricultural, community development, exploration/settlement
This home was originally located at 45 Ballardvale Road and was moved to this location by Michael Ristuccia to save the home from demolition. This home and property became the catalyst for Andover's Special Dimensional Permit process for saving historic properties.
Once on an original land grant from King George III, the Abbot farm originally extended from the Reading Road (Main St) to Woburn Street and was in the Abbot family for nine generations to pre 1920's. There were extensive flax fields and houses were built with lumber from the farm. The present house, was built in 1825 and was the third one on the farm.
The first house sheltered Acadians. Jonathan Abbot had built a second house across the road in 1756; twenty-two Acadians from Nova Scotia were brought to Andover. The families of Jacques and Charles Esbert stayed in the first house, then vacant, of Johathan Abbot. These were the first Roman Catholics and foreigners in Puritan Andover and they were not received with enthusiasm. However, their diligence soon won them friends here and when they moved on to settle in Springfield, they were missed.
Asa Sheldon, a Wilmington farmer wrote of being hired out to work for Capt. Stephen Abbot in the spring of 1811.
Evelyn and Henry Jenkins were later owners in 1940's. Mrs. Jenkins found religious artifact in her garden, probably brought from Europe, 1743 (by French Canadians?). Indian relics also unearthed here with spring of water, indicating site of Indian village.
Major Alterations January 2002: removal of central chimney and summer kitchen in basement associated with moving the building; Owner Michael Ristuccia restored both during renovation; completed 2006. The home sat on the corner of Ballardvale & Sunset Rock Road. The new owners of the property had no interest in restoring the period home. It was hoped at that time that the home could be moved just west of its original location by sub-dividing the property. The land was just a few hundred square feet shy of creating two conforming lots, and the project was denied.
Michael Ristuccia, an Andover native and contractor, purchased the home, dismantled the center bay of the house and moved it in two sections to his property on South Main Street. Ristuccia lived in and restored the Holt house next door at 373 South Main.
Moved Details 2/24/2002
Acreage on Ballardvale Rd prior to move; 1.4 acres; approx. frontage Sunset Rock 235', Ballardvale Rd. 320'
The house address was first listed at 10 Belnap Drive, then officially changed to 375 South Main Street to reflect the street that the front facade of the residence faced.
Preservation Deed – Aug. 31, 2004 rec. Dec. 2, 2005 b. 9922 p. 94-105 Ando Realty Trust; Sharon Ristuccia Trustee – Map #14725 Mar.25, 2004 Lot A - Michael Ristuccia - July 27, 2004 b. 10860 p. 292.
Essex County Registry Deeds, Salem, MA
Essex Northern Registry Deeds, Lawrence, MA
Andover Historical Society files
Goldsmith, Bessie: Historic Houses of Andover, 1946
Bailey, Sarah Loring: Historical Sketches of Andover, 1880
Life of Asa G. Sheldon, Wilmington Farmer, Wilmington Mass. 1959
Goldsmith, Bessie: "The Acadians in Andover", Fair and Warmer, Oct.1927 and Townswoman's Andover, 1964
See map plan # 14725 - lot A - March 25, 2004
(Preservation Deed – Aug. 31, 2004 rec. Dec. 2, 2005 b. 9922 p. 94-105 Ando Realty Trust; Sharon Ristuccia Trustee – Map #14725 Mar.25, 2004 Lot A - Michael Ristuccia July 27, 2004 b. 10860 p. 292)
Ando Realty Trust, Sharon Ristuccia & Michelle Ristuccia - June 27, 1997 - b. 5140 p. 19
Ando Realty Trust, Michelle Ristuccia Tr. - Sept. 19, 2002 - b. 7097 p. 333 - trustee
Ando Realty Trust, Michael Ristuccia - Feb. 14, 2006 - b. 10042 p. 85
Ando Realty Trust, Michael Ristuccia - July 24, 2007 - b. 10860 p. 292
Richard W. & May E. Lyman, III - Sept. 15, 2008 - b. 11313 p. 293
|Street||South Main St|
|Historic District||Not Applicable|
|Historic Name||Stephen Abbot House|
|Source||ERDS, ENRDL, AHS file, njs, style|
|Roof||asphalt - gable|
|Outbuildings / Secondary Structures||Barn like ell addition and garage 2006|
|Major Alterations||2006 - 2007 moved from 45 Ballardvale Road. 1/2002 removal of central chimney and summer kitchen associated with moving the building. Owner to restore both during renovation, scheduled 2004-05.|
|Move Details||Feb. 24, 2002 moved from 45 Ballardvale Rd.|
|Map and parcel||81-32C|
|Recorded by||Stack/Mofford, K. Herman, James Batchelder|
|Organization||Andover Preservation Commission|
|Date entered||1975-77, July 2003, 4/15/2015|