The is a modern business structure with gable end facing west toward the convergence of Brook and Essex Streets. The brick facade and widows is a nod to the St. Augustine's Church directly across the street. The building is clad in traditional wood clapboards with a red cedar shingle roof. It was designed to blend with the existing homes on Brook St.
This property was once owned by Jacob Carlton in the 1850s and was sold to Herman Abbott Jr. in Aug. 10, 1854. There was however a deed restriction "sold with express condition that no building of any description shall ever be put there on" Abbott sold to William J. Millett who took a mortgage from Ben & Nancy Tyler in Jan. 1866. The property was inherited by his wife Martha Millett and then their children after her death. It would appear the Millet built a home on the property or moved one to it, regardless of the deed restriction. Elizabeth Millett purchased the property with buildings from her siblings and Millett grandchildren in 1894 and 1895. The house was on the site then.
Elizabeth sold to John H. Casey of Boston in Oct. 10, 1899. Casey held the property for fifteen years but before selling had the heirs of Jacob Carlton release the property restriction in Dec. 1915. The Carlton family consisted of Georgina N (Carlton) Freeman, her daughters Mary D. Freedman & Constance (Freeman) Hackett, Georgina's uncle Horace F. Carlton and Frank T Carlton her father both sons of Jacob Carlton. As Jacob was deceased the heirs removed the building restriction.
Casey sold the property to Bridget O'Brien on June 28, 1916. Bridget held the property nearly 25 years before her death. Michael J. Lynch was her executor of the estate in Aug. 1940. He purchased the property from the estate and then placed the deed in in his and wife Eva names. In 1945 the property went to Harold & Rose Derbyshire. Harold died ia year later on Nov. 30,1946. Rose later remarried John L. MacInnis and transferred the deed through Myrtle T. Haywood on Aug. 19, 1960 John L. & Rose M. MacInnis and Mary A. Derbyshire. They then sold to Andover realtor John J. Hewitt and wife Margaret in June 1964. The house was a two family at this time when Hewitt opened his real estate office in the house.
In July 1984 Hewitt sold the property to Donald & Barbara Richmond. Richmond raze the house in 1985 and built the current professional office building on the lot. The building was sold in August 1996 to Independent Living Corp. who had offices at 21 Central St. in Andover. They are the owners in 2014.
Present owner Hewitt, John and Margaret (1964).
Present use John Hewitt Realtor office (2 family)
Later owner MacInnis, John L. and Rose M. & Derbyshire 8/25/60.
Themes - Architectural and Community development.
Essex County Registry Deeds, Salem, MA
Essex Northern Registry Deeds, Lawrence, MA
Jacob Carlton - 1850s land
Herman Abbott Jr. - Aug. 10, 1854 - b. 499 leaf. 33 - Salem Deeds - with restriction
William P. Millet - June 27, 1866 - b. 697 leaf. 128 - mtg. from Nancy Tyler
Martha M. Millet - by will of husband William
Martha M. Millet Estate to heirs - 1890s - land with buildings
Elizabeth M. Millet - April 5, 1894 - b. 138 p. 485 & 486, quit claimed by; - land with buildings
Frank Millet, Sidney Millet, George Millet, - Feb. 5, 1895 - b. 138 p. 486, quit claimed
Thomas J. Babcock & Emily (Millet) Babcock, wife of James, and Edward Burtt & Martha Burtt, quit claimed
John H. Casey - Oct. 10, 1899 - b. 173 p. 98 - land with buildings
Georgina N. (Carlton) Freeman and heirs - Dec. 17, 1915 - b. 361 p. 549 - release of restriction of Jacob Carlton 1854
Bridget O'Brien - June 28, 1916 - b. 365 p. 435
Bridget O'Brien Estate - Michael J. Lynch Extr. - Aug. 28, 1940 - Probate #197183
Michael J. Lynch - Sept. 24, 1940 - b. 634 p.131
Anna Greeley - Sept. 24, 1940 - b. 634 p.132 - deed transfer
Michael J. & Eva I. Lynch - Sept. 24, 1940 - b. 634 p.133
Harold M. & Rose C. Derbyshire - Apr. 24, 1940 - b. 672 p. 149
Rose C. Derbyshire, by will Harold died Nov. 20, 1946
Rose M. MacInnis (aka Rose C. Derbyshire) Aug. 19, 1960 - b. 921 p. 269
John J. & Margaret Hewitt - June 11, 1964 - b. 1011 p. 243
Donald & Barbara Richmond - July 16, 1984 - b. 1837 p. 174
Independent Living Corp. - Aug. 1, 1996 - b. 4563 p. 29
|Historic District||Not Applicable|
|Present Use||Professional / Commercial|
|Original Use||Professional / Commercial|
|Roof||wood cedar shingle|
|Major Alterations||Original Millett house razed 1985|
|Acreage||less than one acre; 11,500 sq. ft. with approximate frontage on Essex 170' and on Brook 205'|
|Map and parcel||55-56|
|Recorded by||Stack/Mofford, James Batchelder|
|Organization||Andover Preservation Commission|
|Date entered||1975-77, updated 3/2014|