38 Argilla Road

Architectural Description: 

Cape style - Bungalow

Historical Narrative: 

Interior pieces from Richardson School according to former owner Allard family (2-14-91)

This property was once owned by Ina L. White and obtained by Sidney P. White in 1939. The lot was part of an open field of nearly 20 acres that is now the Rose Glen Acres development built in 1973. The lot was divided off and sold to Andover contractor and builder Frederick K. Welch on May 3, 1965. The new home was built by Welch and sold to Alnon & Christine C. Allard on May 27, 1966. The Allards were told that some of the paneling used in the home was recycled from the interior of the former Richardson School that served the Frye Village District and Shawsheen Village from 1848-1924. The schoolhouse was located on Lowell St. next to Iceland Rd. and was closed when the Shawsheen School opened in October 1924. Richardson School remained empty but was occasionally used for functions and summer playground activities. The building was razed about 1964, the bell later used in the new Bancroft School tower.

The Allard family owned the property for 23 years.

Bibliography/References: 

Essex Northern Registry Deeds, Lawrence, MA
Maps #5249 - Apr. 26, 1965
#6888 - April 1973 - Rose Glen Acres
#6843 - June 1973 - 19.38 acre pasture.

Owners;
Ina L. White
Sidney P. White - Dec. 2, 1939 - b. 627 p. 370
Frederick K. Welch - May 3, 1965 - b. 1032 p. 470
Almon & Christine C. Allard - May 27, 1966 - b. 1061 p. 54
Christine C. Almon - Oct. 29, 1978 - b. 1357 p. 371
Robert L. & Kathleen Devaney - Feb. 19, 1987 - b. 2431 p. 46
Cygnet Realty Trust, Robert L. & Kathleen Devaney, TR - Nov. 22, 1999 - b. 5617 p. 251
Kenneth J. & Karen S. Wilson - June 26, 2001 - b. 6216 p. 263
Wilson Realty Trust, Kenneth J. & Karen S. Wilson, Tr. - Jan. 22, 2002 - b. 6629 p. 330

second parcel;
Ina L. White
Sidney P. White - Dec. 2, 1939 - b. 627 p. 370
Anastasios Kalogianis - Olympic Construction, Inc. - Sept. 13, 1973 - b. 1227 p. 653
Almon & Christine Allard, Helen J. and Elizabeth W. Allard - Jan. 7, 1974 - b. 1236 p. 419

Inventory Data:

StreetArgilla Rd
PlaceWest Parish - West Andover
Historic DistrictNot Applicable
Historic NameAlmon & Christine Allard house
Present Useresidence
Original Useresidence
Construction Date1965
SourceECRDS, ENRDL
Architectural StyleOther
Architect/BuilderFrederick K. Welch builder
Foundationconcrete
Wall/Trimcedar shingles/wood
Roofasphalt - gable
Conditionexcellent
Acreage0.807 acre
Settingresidential
Map and parcel93-4F
Recorded byBarbara Thibault, James S. Batchelder
OrganizationAndover Historical Society, Andover Preservation Commission
Date entered1991, 12/6/2015

Images: 

Map: