38 Maple Avenue

Architectural Description: 

Queen Anne style, mixed use of clapboards and cedar shingles define each story with fish scale shingles defining the boarder add visual interest to the facade. Unique entry porch design, decorative pediment, aligned roof pitch supported by two columns are balanced by a corbel on the opposite side projecting corner.
Arched attic window.

Historical Narrative: 

This property was originally #22 Maple St. when built and re-numbered #38 in 1928.

Maple Ave. was once a 17 acre parcel of land that was owned by Samuel G. Valpey who purchased the home at 60 Elm Street for $6600 on Feb. 17, 1855. The Maple Ave parcel of 17 acres 26 rods was purchased at auction by John H. Flint for $858.12 on June 16, 1866. Andover Advertiser (AA) Oct. 23, 1874 – John H. Flint is at work on a new avenue leading through his land from Elm Street to Carmel lane. AA - July 23, 1875 - Maple St. opened; description of 1st house, a brick one on Flint's land.
This property was purchased from John H. Flint by Adam Clark Richardson on Dec. 8, 1876. Adam built and lived in the home next door at #36 Maple Ave. Adam, a carpenter, would later build three more income producing houses on his lot, this house being the first on the north side yard. The house was built about prior to 1900 and appears on the 1906 map of Andover at #22 Maple Ave., as does the two family house directly behind this at #38 - #38-A.

The 1900 census lists Olive Holt age 59, widow and her daughter Ella L. age 39 renting #22. Two boarders; Charlotte Bushfield age 47, a rubber worker at Tyer Rubber Co. and Mabel G. Carley age 21 a teacher of 5th & 6th grade at Indian Ridge School on Cuba St.

The properties remained in Adam’s ownership until his death in 1933. His nephew John W. Richardson inherited the estate, sub-divided the properties and began to sell off each property.

Mary “Mae” Ellen Valentine, wife of Franklin S. Valentine purchased this home on July 30, 1935. Mae, was born in Andover on June 6, 1866, daughter of William & Mary (McCusker) Trulan. Her father was also a carpenter. Mae married on April 27, 1897 at Free Church to Franklin Stevens Valentine b. July 29, 1872 in Melrose, son of Charles & Emma (Ford) Valentine. Franklin was a clerk at the M. T. Holt grocery store in the basement of the Baptist Church. Mae and Franklin had one daughter Florence Irene born Feb. 24, 1899. The Valentine’s would own for 21 years. Franklin died Feb. 13, 1949 and Mae died in 1955 and their daughter Florence was heir and conservator of her mother’s estate. The property was then sold to John M. Jr. & Anna V. Greenhow on Jan. 25, 1956.


38 Maple Ave (formerly #22) 38-153 – 0.099 a 4305 sq. ft. [22½ in rear]
Essex County Registry Deeds, Salem, MA
Essex Northern Registry Deeds, Lawrence, MA
Map plan #962

John H. Flint - June 16, 1866 rec. 7/26/1866 - b. 707 leaf 267 - 17 acres – [Maple Ave]
Adam Clark Richardson – Dec. 8, 1876 rec. 7/24/1877 – b. 47 p. 161
Adam Clark Richardson estate died Sept. 11, 1933
John W. Richardson – heir by will probate #177147
Mary E. Valentine, wife of Franklin S. – July 30, 1935 – b. 592 p. 371
Mary E. Valentine estate, Florence I. Collins, Csvr. – Jan. 11, 1956 – Probate
John M. Jr. & Anna V. Greenhow – Jan. 25, 1956 – b. 828 p. 110
John M. Greenhow Jr. estate, Anna V. Greenhow – d. Feb. 27, 1982
Greenhow Realty Trust, Pamela A. Fazio, Tr. – Appr. 9, 2002 – b. 6795 p. 319
Eric A. Nalefski & Astrid S. Clarke – June 29, 2005 – b. 9602 p. 129
Jennifer Staton – Sept. 9, 2011 – b. 12,608 p. 342
Christopher C. & Sabrina J. Whitt - July 16, 2016 – b. 14721 p. 65

Inventory Data:

StreetMaple Av
PlaceAndover Center District
Historic DistrictAndover Historic Building Survey
Historic NameA. C. Richardson - Mary E. Valentine House
Present Useresidence
Original Useresidence
Construction Datecirca 1895 - 1897
SourceERDS, NERDL, style,
Architectural StyleQueen Anne
Architect/BuilderAdam Clark Richardson
Foundationstone & granite
Acreage0.099 a. - 4305 sq. ft.
Map and parcel38-154
Recorded byW. Frontiero, James S. Batchelder
OrganizationAndover Preservation Commission
Date entered28 Feb 1980, 10/31/2019