Cape Style home
This house and three identical homes were built by John Smith president of the Smith & Dove Co. Smith purchased the land at the corner of North Main, Lowell and Poor Streets on December 29,1841 in Frye Village. Today this area is the Wood Park and the private road on the west side of the park was the former route of Poor St. which joined No. Main near the current site of the Christian Science Church.
John Smith's Flax company needed housing for the operatives and their families, so he began construction to house them. The house was located on the corner of Lowell St. and Poor St, the NW corner of the Wood Park. The row of Cape Cottages were referred to as the Back Row houses.
Smith & Dove Manufacturing Co. was deeded the property by John Smith on July 1, 1864. By this period the company was shifting operations to Abbott Village (Dundee Park) but maintained production in Frye Village until 1890's. Smith & Dove then began divesting their property in Frye Village and sold much of their holdings to George H. Carlisle on May 31. 1907. Carlisle then sold off each home separately. This house was purchased by Robert W. & Catherine Taylor on Oct. 28, 1908.
Robert & Catherine Taylor would own this home for 41 years but in three different locations. The 37 Poor St. "Back Row" site was home from 1908 to 1922. William M. Wood, President of the American Woolen Co., had been purchasing property throughout Frye Village with a plan to build the model community Shawsheen Village. Construction began with the end of WW1 and nearly every structure in the center of Frye Village was moved or razed.
The Taylor house was moved in 1919 to #352 North Main St., now the location of the southern most end of the Aberdeen-Merchant's Building. Of the other three cottages, one is now located at 19 Balmoral St. and two are at 7 & 9 Canterbury St. Wood moved another house (Leith) to the SE corner of Windsor St. and built two new homes. In late 1921 plans were changed to build the Merchant's Building "The Aberdeen" at this location and the four houses were then moved in 1922 to Kenilworth St. on the east side of No. Main St. Taylor's home was sited on the corner facing No. Main at #385. Wood carried the cost of relocation of the homes.
Robert Wilson Taylor was born on Jan. 9, 1862 in Johnstone, Scotland, son of Daniel & Margaret (Steele) Taylor. Robert married about 1884 to Catherine Davis b. April 2, 1864 in Kilmarnock, Ayershire, Scotland. They had three children born in Scotland before immigrating to America in 1887. It appears that Robert came first and his wife and family followed shortly after. They first settled in Lawrence, Robert became a machinist in the Washington Mills. By 1897 the Taylors had moved to Andover and were renting the 37 Poor St. cottage. The 1900 census list them back in Lawrence, but they returned to Frye Village in 1901 now renting 33 Poor St. where they remained until purchasing #37.
The Taylor children; Jane L. b. May 1885, Margaret S. b. Sept. 1886, Daniel b. 1888 in Scotland d. 1888 in Lawrence, MA, Thomas D. b. Sept. 1893 and Robertina W. b. May 1, 1897. Daughter Jane work as a Doffer in the Wool mill, then married James J. Haphey. Margaret S. worked as a Reeler in the mill & married George Cilley. Son Thomas D. followed his father as a machinist. He married Ida Bosquet. Robintina W. married Arthur Jowett and for a few years sharred the home with her parents.
Catherine Taylor died on Aug. 10, 1951 at age 87 and Robert died on Feb. 6, 1959 age 97. Both are interred at Spring Grove Cemetery, Andover, MA as are other family members.
The Taylors sold their home to Thomas B. & Catherine Noyes on June 28, 1949.
Andover Townsman news items;
Oct. 31, 1919 – Frye Village - The cottages which stood on Poor Street are being moved up Lowell Street, near the sand pit. [7 & 9 Canterbury St.]
Sept. 8 1922 - Thomas & Ida Taylor of 352 North Main Street.
May 18, 1923 – Progress at Shawsheen
Mr. & Mrs. Taylor of No. Main St. are occupying the house at 10 Riverina Rd. during the
time their house is being moved. [1920 #37 Poor St., 1919-1923 #352 No. Main, 1926 - #385 No. Main
Essex County Registry Deeds, Salem, MA
Essex Northern Registry Deeds, Lawrence, MA
Andover Street Directories
Andover Maps, Frye Village 1852, 1872, 1888, 1906
Shawsheen Village Map 1922
Plan map #771 - b. 550 p. 231 - Nov. 1929
John Smith - Dec. 29, 1841 - b. 335 leaf 99 - Salem deed
Smith & Dove Manufacturing Co. - July 1, 1864 - b. 677 leaf 259
George H. Carlisle - May 31, 1907 - b. 250 p. 545 - Lawrence deed
Robert W. & Catherine Taylor - Oct. 28, 1908 - b. 266 p. 119
Robert W. & Catherine Taylor - Apr. 28, 1919 - b. 398 p. 484 - lot #7
William M. Wood - May 1919 - b. 398 p. 484 lot #7 on Poor St.
Robert W. & Catherine Taylor - Apr. 16, 1923 - b. 503 p. 190 - #352 No. Main
William M. Wood - Sept. 3, 1924 - b. 503 p. 190 - #252 No. Main
Robert W. & Catherine Taylor - Sept. 3, 1924 - b. 503 p. 190 - #385 No. Main
Thomas B. & Catherine Noyes - June 28, 1949 - b. 724 p. 279
William L. Poland & Jessie Poland - Dec. 1, 1961 - b. 949 p. 283
William L. Poland - June 9, 1963 - heir
Dorothy J. Feinman - Jan. 3, 1966 - b. 1052 p. 9
Stephen J. & Susan J. Gulo, Jr. - June 30, 1972 - b. 1196 p.347
Susan M. (Frost) Burke & Rita M. Haller - Sept. 1, 1972 - b. 1318 p. 154
Donald G. Holliday & Jeannie McCabe - June 28, 1996 - b. 4536 p. 171
Donald G. & Jeannie M. Holliday - Nov. 8, 2011 - b. 6478 p. 222
Donald G. Holliday - Nov. 8, 2011 - b. 4536 p. 171
Donald G. & Jeannie M. Holliday - Nov. 8, 2011 - 6478 p. 235
Karen L. Felton - Aug. 30, 2002 - b. 7053 p. 61
|Street||North Main St|
|Place||Shawsheen Village - Frye Village|
|Historic District||Shawsheen Village NRH District|
|Historic Name||Taylor House|
|Construction Date||1842 - 1845|
|Source||Shawsheen Walking Tour|
|Roof||asphalt - gable|
|Major Alterations||1919 renovated when moved, roof dormer added then|
|Move Details||1919 and 1922|
|Acreage||0.149 acre; corner of N. Main and Kenilworth in Shawsheen Village|
|Map and parcel||52-33|
|Recorded by||Sean Craft|
|Organization||Andover Historical Society|