This property was once listed as 388 North Main Street.
This home was first occupied in 1923 by George H. & Mary Winslow. George Winslow was the general manager of the Homestead Association, a subsidiary Realty division of the American Woolen Company, in charge of selling and or leasing the new homes in Shawsheen Village. Winslow had been living at 125 Haverhill St. in 1916, prior to construction of the Village.
George Howard Winslow, b. June 23, 1889 in Norwood, MA. son of Frank Hand Winslow and Marcia M. Shumway. He married Mary Durfee Chace b. 1887. George worked for the American Woolen Company in New York and Andover. He was a graduate of the Norwood schools and the Lowell Technological Institute. Geroge was appointed as General Manager of the Homestead Association and was in charge of the development of Shawsheen Village. The Association sold and leased all the homes and properties of the A. W. Co. They lived at 388 North Main St. before purchasing the 25 acres A.W.Co. Lovejoy farm at 289 Lowell St on March 30, 1925.
George became the Andover Town Clerk on September 20, 1930, a position he held for 30 years. Wife Mary was a charter member of the Shawsheen Woman’s Club and active in many charitable organizations in town. Both were members of the West Parish Church. They were married 50 years and had two daughters, Eleanor, (Mrs. Warren Harrington) and Mary, (Mrs. Orville J. (Skip) Eslick). They sold the farm on August 15, 1956 to developers Crystal Realty Inc. and moved to Henderson Ave. George died in 1964 and Mary in 1973. Both at interred at West Parish Cemetery.
In 1926 Alexander & Clara Livingstone are renting the house. Alexander is a Wool buyer for the A. W. Co.. Across the street at 361 is Stanley J. & Edith R. Livingstone, also a a Wool buyer.
From 1928 - 1931 Frederick & Mildred Bushold are the residents. Frederick is a Physician and has his practice in the home and later in the Aberdeen Building.
1932 Directory lists Julius C. & Josephine C. Cowen. Cowen is manager of Central Village Manf. Julius and Jossie have a son Robert C.. On Oct. 1, 1934 they purchase the home from the Andover Shawsheen Realty Co. which held the mortgage deed of $5000. On Nov. 3, 1939 the Andover Shawsheen Realty Co. took possession of the property. The Cowen family then moved to Andover St. in Ballardvale.
Bernard M. & Ellen W. Nangle purchased the property on Jan. 7, 1944.
Essex Northern Registry Deeds, Lawrence, MA
Map #879 lot 27
American Woolen Company
Textile Realty Company
Andover Shawsheen Realty Company - June 30, 1932 - b. 565 p. 87
Julius C. & Josephine C. Cowen - Oct. 1, 1934 - b. 582 p. 244
Andover Shawsheen Realty Company Nov. 3, 1939 - b. 627 p. 164 - mtg deed
Bernard M. & Ellen W. Nangle - Jan. 7, 1944 - b. 662 p. 229
Ellen W. Nangle estate - Helen W. Reardon, heir - Probate
Dominic S. & Anna Terranova - Sept. 23, 1965 - b. 1044 p. 202
Anna Terranova - Dec. 31, 1979 - b. 1413 p. 124
Dominic S. & Anna A. Terranova - Aug. 1, 1989 b. 2974 p. 331
Anna Terranove - Aug. 24, 1989 - b. 2985 p. 226
|Street||North Main St|
|Place||Shawsheen Village - Frye Village|
|Historic District||Shawsheen Village NRH District|
|Historic Name||Cowen - Nangle House|
|Source||ECRDS - ENRDL|
|Architectural Style||Colonial Revival|
|Architect/Builder||Adden & Parker of Boston|
|Roof||slate - gable|
|Map and parcel||52-73|
|Recorded by||James S. Batchelder|
|Organization||Andover Preservation Commission|
|Date entered||June 15, 2015|