39-41 Balmoral Street

Architectural Description: 

Bracketed doorhood on Balmoral, but original front of house with Georgian doorway now faces east

Historical Narrative: 

Themes: architectural, community development

McNally house, formerly at #328 North Main Street on southwest corner of No. Main and Lowell St.

This home and lot was purchased by John Smith on Dec. 29, 1841. This home was on the site at the time. Smith would build two double tenements just south of the home and four single family Cape stye homes on the back side facing Poor St. Smith deed the property to his Smith & Dove Manufacturing Co. on July 1, 1864. as tenement for employees of the company. The house was built on the west side of North Main Street on the current Wood Park near the corner of Lowell and N. Main Streets. When Smith & Dove relocated to Abbott Village (Dundee Park) they began to sell off their properties in Frye Village. All seven homes on that location of the Park were sold to George H. Carlisle of Lawrence on May 3, 1907.

Carlisle then surveyed the properties and divided them up into single lots. This home was located at on North Main St. on lot #1 was then sold to John H. McNally on May 1, 1908. McNally owned the property nine years then selling to William M. Wood on Nov. 16, 1918.

This home was saved and became part of the Shawsheen Village development 1918 – 1924 by William M. Wood, President of the American Woolen Company. Wood hired about eight different architects to design the homes and structures for the village. His vision of a Park in the new Village necessitated moving all the structures off the site. All the homes facing No. Main were moved to Balmoral St. on the lot later occupied by the American Woolen Co. Administration Office Building. When plans were altered the houses were moved again to the south side of Balmoral and the McNally House was sited here at #39 - #41. Homes were sold or rented through the Homestead Association who had offices in the Post Office building on the corner of North Main & Poor Streets.

After the death of William M. Wood on Feb. 2, 1926 most of the residential and commercial buildings were then sold. Some were held by the Wood family in the "Arden Trust" and others with the American Woolen Company, which had been deeded the property in December 1920. The A.W.Co. Board of Directors authorized its President, Lionel J. Noah, to deliver all deeds, as deemed necessary to the Textile Realty for sale on Dec. 29, 1931.

The Textile Realty then transferred ownership to the Andover Shawsheen Realty Company on June 30, 1932, holding the mortgage on the properties. T. Edwin Andrew, treasurer, was authorized to sell or rent the properties. With the Great Depression sales were sluggish and many homes were rented until the economy rebounded.

The first occupants of record to lease the home in 1926 were John & Florence Holmelund at #39. John was a stock clerk at the truck garage of the A. W. Co.In unit #14 was Joseph C. & Susan Schultz. Joseph was an operator. In 1943 Warren J. & Emma K. Harnden are in #39. Warren is an electrician. James W. & Marianna C. Souter are at #41 Balmoral. James is a partner in the Andover Press, publishers of the Andover Townsman, periodicals, yearbooks etc.

This house was sold to Ernest & Eleanor M. Turton on Jan. 4, 1947. Turton owned for 12 years then sold to Francis R. Wilson on Mar. 24, 1959. Wilson then sold 3 months later to John H. Kennelly Jr. on June 8, 1959. Kennelly owned until his death in 1972 which was then sold to Thomas R. & Mary Ellen Meade on Nov. 17, 1972.


Essex County Registry Deeds, Salem, MA
Essex Northern Registry Deeds, Lawrence, MA
Andover Maps, 1852, 1872, 1888, 1906, 1926
Andover Street Directories
Mills, Mergers and Mansions, by Edward Roddy 1982
See Map plan #704 - American Woolen Company - Sept. 1927
#878 - June 1932 - Textile Realty Company - lot 38

Owners; at 328 North Main Street.
John Smith - Dec. 29, 1841 - b. 335 leaf 99 - Salem deeds
Smith & Dove Manufacturing Co. - July 1, 1864 - b. 677 leaf 259 - Salem deed
George H. Carlisle - May 3, 1907 - b. 250 p. 545
John H. McNally - May 1, 1909 - b. 272 p. 399
William M. Wood - Nov. 16, 1918 - b. 393 p. 429
American Woolen Company - Dec. 30, 1920 - b. 435 p. 215

Owners; at 39 - 49 Balmoral Street.
American Woolen Company - Dec. 30, 1920 - b. 435 p. 215
Textile Realty Company - Dec. 30, 1931 - b. 563 p. 351
Andover Shawsheen Realty Co. - June. 30, 1932 - b. 565 p. 87 - parcel
Ernest & Eleanor M. Turton - Jan. 4, 1947 - b. 693 p. 212
Francis R. Wilson - Mar. 24, 1959 - b. 890 p. 326
John H. Kennelly Jr. - June 8, 1959 - b. 895 p. 203
John H. Kennelly Jr. estate, Probate - 1972
Thomas R. & Mary Ellen Meade - Nov. 17, 1972 - b. 1206 p. 625
Mary Ellen (Essiambre) Meade - Jan. 20, 1976 - b. 1275 p. 245
David M. & Katherine H. Morin - May 23, 1979 - b. 1372 - b. 357
Katherine H. Morin - Aug. 12, 1999 - b. 5522 p. 272

Inventory Data:

StreetBalmoral St
PlaceShawsheen Village
Historic DistrictShawsheen Village NRH District
Historic NameMcNally House
Present Useresidence
Original Useresidence
Construction Date1865
SourceERDS, ENRDL, assessers' rec./style-njs
Architectural StyleFederal
Outbuildings / Secondary Structuresnone
Move Details1921
Acreage6,716 sq. ft.; approximate frontage 70 ft.
Map and parcel36-51
MHC NumberANV.60
Recorded byStack/Mofford, James Batchelder
OrganizationAndover Preservation Commission
Date entered1975-77, 7/4/2015