This home would be listed as a Colonial Revival home built from about 1905 - 1920s and is known as the "American Four-Square" The boxy form with hip roof above wide eaves and including one eye brow dormer here, is derived from early prairie house designs of Frank Lloyd Wright. The Four Square has been adapted to many different forms from Classical style to minimal design elements. “Variations on a theme” to suit the owners taste and budget. Handsome wrap around porch.
Boston Road has had several names through the years including, Old County Rd (1915), Foster’s Pond Rd. 1930-1935, Old Boston Road and then Boston Rd. by 1937. Deeds can be confusing at first and street directories misleading as we now have a County Rd and Foster’s Pond Rd adjoining Boston Rd. What appears as a move to another street is actually a street name change. Andover Valuation Schedule add to the issue by listing the road as Main St. This area is in the South District in the Valuation lists and within the Scotland School District from 1785-1902. Only one house is listed on the road in 1906 at #5. With development came an influx of French Canadians who purchased lots on Boston Rd. It was sometimes referred to as “Frenchville” by locals.
This property was once owned by Rufus Caldwell and was part of his 75 acre farm. His house was located east of Boston Rd. between So. Main St. His estate was auctioned off after his death in October 1891. The property was purchased by Brooks F. Holt for $1500. Brooks F. home was on South Main St. and he was an Ice Dealer in town. Brooks later sold his business and began selling off parcels of the former Caldwell farm.
Fred Richards purchased the one acre lot on Boston Rd on April 20, 1916 from Brookes F. Holt. The lot extended to the corner of County Rd. In 1946 the property was subdivided into four lots. Fred had built the small cottage at 33 Boston Rd listed as a camp in 1920 and this home later. The two center lots between the propertied were sold to Francis J. Richards as one lot #2 in 1946. Fred and wife Angelina sold the cottage to George Bernnard, in Nov. 1946. George was married to Fred's sister Rose.
Fred sold this home to George J. & Laura Richards on Sept. 22, 1948. George & Laura owned for eight years the selling to Cornelius A. & Irene A. O'Leary on June 29, 1955. The O'Leary family held the property for 42 years.
4/16-9/48 Fred Richards
9/48-7/55 George Richards (son of Fred)
5/55- 96 Cornelius & Irene O'Leary (both deceased)
Essex County Registry Deeds, Salem, MA
Essex Northern Registry Deeds, Lawrence, MA
Rufus Caldwell estate, Albert W. Caldwell Adm. - June 1, 1891 - Probate
Brooks F. Holt - Nov. 9, 1891 - b. 116 p. 41
Fred Richards - April 20, 1916 - b. 363 p. 174
George J. & Laura Richards - Sept. 22, 1948 - b. 715 p. 483
Cornelius A. & Irene A. O'Leary - June 29, 1955 - b. 817 p. 186
Cornelius A. O'Leary estate,heir Irene A. (Kelly) O'Leary - June 1992
O'Leary Revocable Trust, Irene A. Oleary - June 18, 1993 - b. 3763 p. 280
Irene A. O'Leary estate, Ann Linehan Trustee - Feb. 2, 1997
Deborah J. Rockwell - Aug. 4, 1997 - b. 4811 p. 168
Sean F. & Rachelle A. Haney - Jan. 26, 2001 - b. 5989 p. 81
Christopher J. & Melissa H. O'Brien - Aug. 16, 2013 - b. 13601 p. 222
|Historic District||Not Applicable|
|Historic Name||Fred & Angelina Richards House|
|Source||ERDS, NERDL, style,|
|Architectural Style||Colonial Revival|
|Outbuildings / Secondary Structures||garage with driveway off County Rd.|
|Major Alterations||side addition, replacement windows|
|Acreage||0.261 acres, 11, 349 sq. ft. Approximate frontage 115'.|
|Map and parcel||83-54|
|Recorded by||James S. Batchelder|
|Organization||Andover Preservation Commission|
|Date entered||01/30/2006, 4/28/2018|