39 Salem Street

Architectural Description: 

This house is a Four-Square style, with a hip roof and deep overhanging eaves. Symmetrical façade with classical columns supporting an eyebrow porch roof also used as roof dormers in shingle style and Four Square designs.

Historical Narrative: 

This property on Salem Street once belonged to Asa Abbot who sold about one acre to Jonathan Phelps on February 22, 1811 for $400. The deed states: “the same land and buildings now occupied and improved by Jiendal (Kendal) Parker”. The parcel also included the lot at #41 Salem St., the location of the Phelps Homestead. The property was held by the Phelps family for 75 years. The deed passed to the Phelps children and then was sold to the grandson Myron Gutterson in 1900.

Myron subdivided the property in 1911 and sold off this lot at #39 Salem St. to Constance F. Ingram, wife of Ralph O. on Apr. 23, 1911. Ralph & Constance were renting #41 Salem St. in the 1910 Census, which we believe was the old Phelps homestead at that time. We believe the house was constructed in 1911-1912. The 1913 Directory lists them at #35 Salem St. and 1916 at #39. Ralph is working for the Ayer Mill of the American Woolen Company.

Ralph Osborne Ingram was born May 21, 1892 in Providence, RI, son of James & Mary J. (Hinks) Ingram. Ralph’s parents were living in Lawrence in 1900, his father an Agent in the Woolen Mills. Ralph graduated from MIT in 1904 and was asst. treasurer of the Shaw Machine Co. of Lowell when he married Nov. 7, 1905 to Constance F. Albee b. May 19, 1883 in Oshkosh, Wisconsin, dau. of Mr. & Mrs. G. S. Albee. They had two children Constance E. b. 1914 and Robert Sumner b. Sept. 12, 1919 in Andover. Constance sold a 20 ft. strip of land to the Trustees of Phillips Academy on June 20, 1912 rec. 3/14/1913. The Ingrams later relocated in the 1920s to Providence, RI and sold their house to Dorothy L. Sawyer on Nov. 13, 1926. Ralph’s mother and two brothers lived at #43 Salem St. (See #43 Salem)

Dorothy L. Sawyer age 25 was the wife of Edward J. Sawyer age 32 a physician. Sawyer held the property for a year and a half then sold to William Mudge, wife Alice on June 1, 1928.

The Andover Realty Co. became the owners on May 31, 1929. Mrs. Minnie P. Cole, widow of John N. Cole, (publisher of the Andover Townsman who died Oct. 18, 1922) moved into in the house by 1930. They previously lived at 107 Highland Rd. “Bouldrebrook”. Their son Phillip P. Cole was treasurer of the Andover Press, and Andover Realty Co. Minnie died Feb. 8, 1946 and is interred in Spring Grove Cemetery.

Trustees of Phillips Academy purchased the property on June 3, 1946 and the home now serves as faculty housing.

Phelps Family History:
Jonathan Phelps was born in Tewksbury, MA in 1781, son of Joseph & Ruth Phelps. Jonathan married on Dec. 21, 1811 in Andover to Abigail Abbott b. Dec. 23, 1783, dau. of Capt. Moses & Elizabeth (Holt) Abbot. Jonathan’s occupation was Cordwainer or shoe maker. They had eight children; Abigail French b. 10/16/1812, Caroline b. 11/12/1813-d. 12/11/1826, Elizabeth Holt b. 4/5/1815, Belinda Jane b. 4/4/1817, Jonathan E. b. 9/24/1818, Priscilla F. b. 1821-d. 9/26/1847, Mary Holt b. 5/28/1822-d. 5/25/1826, and Hannah b. Aug. 31, 1824.

Jonathan took a $250 mortgage from Nathaniel M. Davidson on Feb. 9, 1819. That mortgage deed was later sold on Jan 13, 1824 from Davidson’s estate to Anna and Phebe Abbot of Andover for $342. Both are listed as single women and spinsters. A second loan was taken from Joseph Brown of Tewksbury for $300 on Nov. 13, 1819.

Jonathan’s wife Abigail died on May 9, 1827 at age 43 years. Daughter Priscilla F. Phelps married on July 29, 1846 to George Gutterson age 24 of Milford, NH b. 1821 son of Josiah & Phebe (Buss) Gutterson. They had one son George H. b. May 12, 1847. Sadly Priscilla died of consumption four months later on Sept. 26, 1847. The 1850 census lists Jonathan Phelps age 70, daughters Elizabeth 35, Jane 33 and Hannah H. 25. Also son-in-law George Gutterson age 29, Trader and grandson George H. age 3. George would later remarry to Hannah Phelps, and had two children; Clara P. b. 1856 and Myron E. b. 1863. The State census of 1855 lists Jonathan 73, Elizabeth, Jane and 17 male students of the Andover Theological Seminary boarding in the Phelps house.

Jonathan Phelps died on March 1, 1866 at age 88 years. The children; Jonathan E., Elizabeth, Belinda Jane, Hannah, & Geo. Gutterson (Priscilla Phelps) were the heirs of the homestead. George Gutterson later purchased property at 59 Salem St. in 1871. He died on April 16, 1887 of cancer, age 66. The Phelps property was deeded to Myron Gutterson in October 1900 who then subdivided into two lots #39 and #41 Salem St.


Essex County Registry Deeds, Salem, MA
Essex Northern Registry Deeds, Lawrence, MA
Andover Townsman,
Andover Resident Directories
Andover Maps 1872, 1906
Ancesrty.com. Phelps, Gutterson and Ingram families
Trustees of Phillips Academy - June 20, 1912 rec. 3/19/1913 - b. 327 p. 382 (20’ strip)

Asa A Abbott & Sylvester Abbott
Asa Abbot, wife Judith
Jonathan Phelps – Feb. 22, 1811 – b. 193 leaf 35
Phelps to Nathaniel M. Davison (Davidson) – Feb. 26, 1819 – b. 218 leaf 250 - $250 mtg.
Nat. M. Davidson estate, July 13, 1824 mtg. sold to Anna Abbot & Phebe Abbot b. 234 leaf 163 $
Jonathan Phelps Children; Jonathan E., Elizabeth, B. Jane, Hannah, & Geo. Gutterson (Priscilla Phelps).
George H. Gutterson, wife Emma – July 3, 1871 – b. 10 p. 3 - $600 – 2½ acres
George H. & Emma Gutterson, Belinda Jane Phelps, Hannah P. Gutterson
Myron E. Gutterson – Oct. 5, 1900 – b. 210 p. 435 – Owned and occupied by the Phelps fam. 75 years
Constance F. Ingram, wife of Ralph O. – Apr. 23, 1911 – b. 303 p. 407 (a portion of property)
Constance A. Ingram – Mar. 14, 1913 – b. 327 p. 381
Dorothy L. Sawyer – Nov. 13, 1926 – b. 528 p. 173
William Mudge, wife Alice – June 1, 1928 – b. 540 p. 424
Andover Realty Co. – May 31, 1929 – b. 546 p. 150
Trustees of Phillips Academy – June 3, 1946 – b. 685 p. 375

Inventory Data:

StreetSalem St
PlacePhillips District
Historic DistrictAcademy Hill NRH District
Historic NameRalph & Constance Ingram House - Phillips Academy “Cole House”
Present Useresidence
Original Useresidence
Construction Date1911 - 1912
SourceECRDS, ENRDL, style-njs
Foundationstone & granite
Acreage0.303 acre
Map and parcel58-12
Recorded byStack/Mofford, James S. Batchelder
OrganizationAndover Preservation Commission
Date entered1980, Dec. 2, 2021