This house was built as a two-family duplex, side by side units, and was one of four built on the street. It had a hip roof, wood and clapboard construction and was similar in style to 45 -47 Union Street.
Fletcher Street was originally built with 14 homes, 10 were single family residences and 4 were double houses. With the construction of Route 495 the Commonwealth of Massachusetts took every property by eminent domain on Dec. 29, 1960. Five homes on Binney St. were also lost. By 1963 Fletcher Street no longer existed. Some homes were moved to new locations but the majority was demolished.
One of the goals of the Andover Preservation Commission is to identify historic places and sites. We re-list Fletcher St. as it was once a historic part of the Shawsheen Village development. We also honor the families that made their homes on Fletcher St. and their contribution to the community.
The homes were built as part of the Shawsheen Village development from 1918-1924 by William M. Wood, President of the American Woolen Company. With the construction of the Shawsheen Mill housing was necessary for operatives employed in the mill. Wood hired about eight different architects to design the homes and structures for the village. Homes were leased through the Homestead Association with offices in the Post Office building in Shawsheen Square, then later moved into the Administration Building.
Each home incorporated a different look, style and design modifications, most noticeable with the front door entrances. Decorative details on the corner boards and a variety of ornamental trellises, window boxes all added the “icing on the cake, of the original designs. Mr. Wood also incorporated two family duplexes in every section of the new Village.
The properties came with deed restrictions. No stores, factories, or other buildings of any business nature shall be erected.. only professional, doctor, dentist or other professional occupations,…No shed, hen houses or out buildings, except a one or two stall garage, which shall have a pitched roof and be of the same general architectural pattern & material, and of the same color, as the building on said premises,…have a cement, macadam, asphalt or crushed stone driveway. No single house erected less than$3500 and no double houses less than $5000. All buildings shall be kept painted white, buff or gray, all with the same setback from the street.
After the death of William M. Wood on Feb. 2, 1926 most of the residential and commercial buildings were then sold. Some were held by the Wood family in the "Arden Trust" and others with the American Woolen Company. The AWCo. Board of Directors authorized its President, Lionel J. Noah, to deliver all deeds, as deemed necessary to the Textile Realty Co. for sale on Dec. 29, 1931.
The Textile Realty then transferred ownership to the Andover Shawsheen Realty Company on June 30, 1932, holding the mortgage on the properties. T. Edwin Andrew, treasurer, was authorized to sell or lease the properties. With the Great Depression sales were sluggish and many homes were rented until the economy rebounded.
#4 - One of the first occupants of record to lease in #4 on April 1, 1924 was Tom S. & Susannah Wilkinson. Tom is listed as a Second Hand, age 48 and Susannah age 47 Housewife in 1925. The couple is listed in 1932-33 Directory. In 1935 John H. & Rosan Greco are renting #4. John was a Jeweler and had his store at 56 Main St. for many years later moving the business to Park Street. In 1937 Leonard R. & Margaret Leach reside here. Leonard is an insurance agent in Lawrence, MA.
#6 – The unit at #6 was first occupied by Sam 36, & Louise 37 Furness. Sam was a Mender and later would move next door to the corner house at #2 Fletcher St. in 1935. #6 was then rented by John R. & Eva Frederickson. John’s occupation is printer.
On August 1, 1939 O. Wilton & Olga J. Tomkins purchased the duplex house and lived in unit #6. Wilton operated Wilkins Cities Service Station at 16 North Main St. at the corner of Pearson Street. Otho Wilton Tompkins Jr. was born July 4, 1911 in So. Hanson, MA son of O. Wilton & Elizabeth P (Wheeler) Tomkins. Wilton married Feb.6, 1930 in Concord, MA to Olga Julia Servais b. Nov. 13, 1911 in Woonsocket, RI, dau. of Diendonne A. & Marie A. (Lambretta) Servais. They had two daughters Audrey b. 1931 and Priscilla b. 1935. Wilton worked at the Shawsheen Garage in 1940 when he registered for WWII. Wilton sold the property to Harold S. Jackson Jr. on Nov. 19, 1945 and moved to 80 Haverhill St.
Harold Jackson Jr .was in the Army during WWII and his parents Harold & Mary R. Jackson lived at 54 Maple Ave. Harold placed the deed in both his and wife Harriot’s name in June 1960. The Property was taken by Eminent Domain by the Commonwealth of Massachusetts on Dec. 29, 1960.
The 1961 Street Directory lists the final tenants as Albert C. & Doris M. Marston in #4. Albert was a truck driver b. 1930 and Doris b. 1928. Both lived in Maine in 1960.
#6 was occupied by Bernard F. & Monique Farley. They had lived at 85 Osgood St. in 1960. Bernard b. 1931 is a technical writer.
4 – 6 Fletcher St. The Tomkins – Jackson House - 9-74 lot #13 – 0.24 acres 10,631 sq. ft.
Sylvester P. Smith and William Leverett
Sylvester P. Smith - Oct. 14, 1854 - b. 451 leaf 293 - Salem deeds
Sylvester P. Smith estate, of Worcester, MA - died. Apr. 18, 1889
J. Walter Smith and Cleora L. Smith of Worcester, MA heirs
Howard E. Sumner - Aug. 9, 1901 - b. 187 p. 497
Cleora L. (Smith) Sumner, Trustee - 1901
Henry P. Binney, Trustee of AWCo. - July 30, 1909 - b. 277 p. 314
American Woolen Company - Dec. 30, 1920 - b. 435 p. 215
Textile Realty Company - Dec. 30, 1931 - b. 563 p. 229
Andover Shawsheen Realty Co. – June 30, 1932 – b. 565 p. 87
O. Wilton & Olga J. Tomkins – Aug. 1, 1939 – b. 624 p. 149
Harold S. Jackson Jr. – Nov. 19, 1945 – b. 678 p. 458
Harold S. Jackson Jr. – Dec. 1, 1952 – b. 770 p. 69-70 mtg.
Harold S. & Harriot Jackson – June 1, 1960 – b. 915 p. 423 mtg.
Commonwealth of Massachusetts – Dec. 29, 1960 – b. 929 p. 334-352
|Historic District||Shawsheen Village NRH District|
|Historic Name||The Tomkins - Jackson House|
|Present Use||Highway Route 495|
|Architectural Style||Colonial Revival|
|Demolition Details||Razed in 1962 for 495 construction|
|Recorded by||James S. Batchelder|
|Organization||Andover Preservation Commission|
|Date entered||April 9, 2023|