Colonial Revival - Garrison Colonial
Shawsheen Village was named after the Native American name for the river Shawshin, which means Great Spring. Arundel Street takes its name from Arundel Castle, a restored medieval castle in Arundel, West Sussex, England. home to the Dukes of Norfolk. All the streets in Shawsheen Village were named for Castles & Cathedrals in Great Britain.
Prior to Shawsheen Village this area was known as Frye Village. The town of Andover purchased land from York Street to the Boston and Maine Railroad or the use of a Town Farm or Alms House in 1807.
This home was built as part of the Shawsheen Village development 1918 – 1924 by William M. Wood, President of the American Woolen Company. Wood hired about eight different architects to design the homes and structures for the village. Homes were sold or leased through the Homestead Association who had offices in the Post Office building on the corner of North Main & Poor Streets.
Many streets in the village have a variety of different homes by different architects. Arundel Street is unique in that one architect is responsible for nearly every home on the street. Wood chose Addison LeBoutillier, an Andover resident, of the Boston firm Ripley & LeBoutillier. The firm had designed the new wing on the North School in West Andover in 1914, the new Punchard High School wing in 1916 (now Andover Town Offices) and the crowning jewel of the village, the beautiful Shawsheen School in 1923.
Architect Addison B. LeBoutillier was born in Utica, NY on July 5, 1872. He trained under O.K. Foote in Rochester, NY. He worked briefly with the Boston firm of Shepley, Rutan and Coolidge Addison is hired as a graphic designer for the Grueby Faience Co. of Boston (1898-1909). In 1905 LeBoutillier and family move to Andover, MA purchasing an old farmhouse at 10 Orchard St. Addison redesigns the house, later moves the barn and converts it into a new house for his family at 14 Orchard. LeBoutillier partners with Hubert Ripley as Ripley and LeBoutillier Architects, Boston.
A walk down Arundel Street does not disappoint. Each home incorporates a different look, style and design modifications, most noticeable with the front door entrances. Decorative details on the corner boards and a variety of ornamental trellises add to the “icing on the cake, of the maintained original designs. Most of the homes now sport a variety of different colors and some have garages to the rear. Many have enclosed the open porches for additional rooms on the interiors. The wide street and mature landscape add to the charm of the neighborhood.
After the death of William M. Wood on Feb. 2, 1926 most of the residential and commercial buildings were then sold. Some were held by the Wood family in the "Arden Trust" and others with the American Woolen Company, which had been deeded the property in December 1920. The A.W.Co. Board of Directors authorized its President, Lionel J. Noah, to deliver all deeds, as deemed necessary to the Textile Realty for sale on Dec. 29, 1931.
The Textile Realty then transferred ownership to the Andover Shawsheen Realty Company on June 30, 1932, holding the mortgage on the properties. T. Edwin Andrew, treasurer, was authorized to sell or lease the properties. With the Great Depression sales were sluggish and many homes were rented until the economy rebounded.
One of the first occupants of record to lease the home in 1926 were Francis E. & Olive C. Wilson. Francis was an accountant with the American Woolen Company.
This house was sold to Charles H. Dufton on May 9, 1940. Charles Dufton was a local contractor and built several homes in the area. He also purchased the Martha Washington Lodge at 7 Argyle St. and lived there for a brief time. This home was leased by Dufton then sold to his son, George F. Dufton on Aug. 10, 1942. George was a Policeman. The property was placed in both his and wife Virginia R. Dufton on Apr. 12, 1943. They also leased the home as the directories from 1943 - 1947 list Henry & Cecelia Rose at this address. Henry Rose was a watchman at the Shawsheen Mills.
George & Virginia Dufton owned for eight years then selling to Joseph T. & Elizabeth I. Duffy on Oct. 26, 1950. The Duffy family held ownership for 43 years. Joseph Duffy was a wool salesman for the American Woolen Co.
Essex County Registry Deeds, Salem, MA
Essex Northern Registry Deeds, Lawrence, MA
Andover Maps, 1852, 1872, 1888, 1906, 1926
Andover Street Directories
Mills, Mergers and Mansions, by Edward Roddy 1982
See Map plan #704 - American Woolen Company - Sept. 1927
#878 - June 1932 - Textile Realty Company lot #48
See #7 Argyle St. for Town Farm history
Samuel Abbot - 1804 - 90 acre farm
Inhabitants of Town of Andover - 1807 – 1921 – Town Farm
Varter & Havenes Dagdegian - July 11, 1921 - b. 443 p. 503
Town of Andover, Geo. C. H. Dufton - July 12, 1921 - b. 443 p. 505 - 13.66 A
Town of Andover, July 12, 1921 - Town Meeting Nov. 1, 1921 sell
American Woolen Co., Wm. M. Wood - July 11, 1921 - b. 443 p. 296 - 12.56 acres - lot 1
American Woolen Co.- Nov. 15, 1921 - b. 450 p. 342 - 10 acres- lot 2
Textile Realty Co., Lionel J. Noah, Pres. A.W.Co. - Dec. 30, 1931 - b. 563 p. 334
Andover Shawsheen Realty Co. - June. 30, 1932 - b. 565 p. 87 - 16th parcel
Charles H. Dufton - May 9, 1940 - b. 629 p. 336
George F. Dufton - Aug. 10, 1942 - b. 653 p. 298
George F. & Virginia R. Dufton - Apr. 12, 1943 - b. 657 p. 301
Joseph T. & Elizabeth I. Duffy - Oct. 26, 1950 - b. 743 p. 168
Joseph G. & Joan J. Duffy - Sept. 5, 1958 - b. 880 p. 299
Joan J. Duffy - Oct. 23, 1970 - b. 1161 p. 314
William G. & Karen (Kelleher) Carey - Nov. 1, 1993 - b. 3886 p. 330
Christopher Poor & Renee Montemerlo - Jan. 14, 2005 - b. 9304 p. 189
|Place||Shawsheen Village - Frye Village|
|Historic District||Shawsheen Village NRH District|
|Historic Name||Dufton - Duffy House|
|Construction Date||1922 - 1923|
|Architectural Style||Colonial Revival|
|Architect/Builder||Addison B. LeBoutillier|
|Roof||hip - slate|
|Major Alterations||Ell with attached garage, entrance modified, not original, porch enclosed|
|Map and parcel||36-61|
|Recorded by||Stack/Mofford, James Batchelder|
|Organization||Andover Preservation Commission|
|Date entered||1975 - 1977, 7/13/2015|