Gable end to street, nice front porch detail
This property was once part of the Nathan W. Hazen Estate at 111 Main Street which extended from Locke Street to Morton Street. John H. & Frances A. Flint purchased the property and began to divide the former estate into house lots which spurred development on both Locke Street and southward along Main Street. Mrs. Christianna Odlin purchased the lot in May 14, 1891and built the home at 109 Main St. in 1894 as a single family residence. Andover Townsman - AT Nov. 23, 1894 - The new house being erected by Mr.(s) Odlin, corner of Main & Locke Streets, promises to be one of the handsomest residences in town. It is now known as the Andover Manse.
This lot at #4 Locke Street was the west end of her property. Mrs. Odlin built this house about 1900 in her back yard with a pathway and stone stairway leading between both properties which is mentioned as a boundary line in the deed. In 1917 Christianna divided the lots saving #4 Locke St. for herself. Her son William and his wife Dora moved into 109. After her death July 28, 1921 at age 89 years, William Odlin administrator of her estate, sold the property to John E. Potier and Mark E. Surette. on Oct. 27, 1922. Later Rose & George Potier with Mark Surette held the property. In May 1956 it was sold to Robert B. Sawyer. Sawyer owned for 13 years then selling to William J. Dalton in Sept. 1969. Dalton kept the property for 3 years before selling to Dennis A. & Ruth Doherty in Aug. 1972. Dennis Doherty would later acquire the home across the street at 5-7 Locke St. in 1976. The Dohertys owned the property for 35 years.
They sold to Robert G. & Maria Moeller in Feb. 2007 which was then placed in the Moeller Family Trust in April. 2007.
The 12 room house is now an apartment building with three units.
Essex County Registry Deeds, Salem, MA
Essex Northern Registry Deeds, Lawrence, MA
Major Daniel Cummings - 1818 -1825
James Locke - 1825 - 1840
Nathan W. Hazen - 1840 – 1887
Mary P. Hazen estate, Abby Pingree - 1887 – 1888
Frances A. Flint & John H. Flint - Oct. 16, 1888 - b. 97 p.453
Christianna Odlin - May 14, 1891 - b. 112 p. 475
William Odlin - May 24, 1917 - b. 376 p. 571 - #109 Main division
Christianna Odlin estate, July 28, 1921 - William Odlin Adm. Oct. 17, 1922
John E. & Rose V. Potier and Mark E. Surette - Oct. 27, 1922 -b. 463 p. 124
Rose V. Potier and Mark E. Surette
Robert B. Sawyer - May 30, 1956 - b. 830 p. 498
William J. Dalton - Sept. 25, 1969 - b. 1141 p. 55
Dennis A. & Ruth Doherty - Sept. 25, 1969 - b. 1201 p. 106
Robert G. & Maria G. Moeller - Feb. 5, 2007 - b. 10619 p. 313
Moeller Family Trust - Apr. 24, 2007 b. 10723 p. 51
|Historic District||Main/Locke Streets NRH District|
|Historic Name||Odlin - Potier House|
|Construction Date||abt. 1900|
|Major Alterations||Vinyl siding and deck of original front porch|
|Acreage||less than one acre|
|Map and parcel||40-1|
|Recorded by||James S. Batchelder|
|Organization||Andover Preservation Commission|
|Date entered||03/04/2006, 3/2014|