White picket fence.
Themes: Architectural, community development, education.
Mar. 8, 1889 – p4. Town Meeting - Article #32 – Renamed Green St. and Pike St. to Morton St. after Prof. Morton on corner of School St.
James H. Cockran sold this property to Eastman Sanborn on Aug. 31, 1844. A John Gregory deeds a right of way to E. Sanborn on June 5, 1847. The 1850 Andover Valuation of Eastman Sanborn's property is 1/2 acre of land and dwelling house $1500. and personal estate of $200. in money. Eastman Sanborn was b. on May 30, 1800 in Sanbornton, NH, son of Ebenezer & Martha (Heath) Sanborn. Eastman Sanborn married on April 20, 1837 to Mary C. L. Gregory b. 1811 in Charlestown, MA. Eastman was a surgeon / dentist who was a student of medicine with Dr. Mowe of Lowell, MA. Eastman & Mary moved to Andover where they had four children; Helen Clara Martha b.Sept. 27, 1839 d. July 14, 1840., Francis Gregory b. Jan. 18, 1838, Emma Mary E. b. Mar. 6, 1841 and Catherine H. Adelaide b.Sept. 17, 1848.
Andover Advertiser - Advertisements - Feb. 19, 1853 - Dr. Eastman Sanborn - Green St.
June 22, 1855 - Dr. Sanborn’s - Dental Infirmary – near the Theological Seminary. - Green St.
Nov. 15, 1855 - Sanborn’s Infirmary in Green Street
April 2, 1859 – Dr. G.A.W. Vinall – Main St. first south of Green St. advert lists prices for dental work
Dec. 10, 1859 – Dr. Eastman Sanborn – dentist dies on Dec.8th, 59 years old (Green Street)
Feb. 4, 1860 – To Let – The rooms occupied by the late Dr. Sanborn, as an office; a good situation for a dressmaker or Millinery, or for two theological students. Inquire on the premises.
Oct. 12, 1861 – Dr. H. W. Bacon – Dentistry – Have taken the late Dr. Sanborn’s office on Green Street.
Dr. H. W. Bacon – Dentistry – office on Green Street (Oct. 21, 1861)
Eastman died of Consumption. His estate went to his daughters C. H. Adelaide Sanborn & Emma M. E. Sanborn. Adelaide deeds the property to her sister Emma M. E. Sanborn on Mar. 20, 1894. The 1901 Andover Directory cites Emma M. F. Sanborn, physician, as resident.
Emma M. E. Sanborn wills her estate to Boston University who then sells the property to the Trustees of Abbot Academy on Apr. 26, 1927 for $5000. Abbot Academy then used the house as faculty housing and dormitory space. With the merger of Abbot and Phillips Academies in 1972 the property was transferred to the Trustees of Phillips Academy on June 30, 1972.
The Academy held the property six years then sold to George A. & Grace H. Neilson on Aug. 30, 1978. The Neilson family then sold the property back to the Trustees of Phillips Academy on July 1, 1986. They remain the current owners of record in 2015.
Andover Superintendent of Schools, Henry C. Sanborn lived here 1928-1930's ? (moved from Locke Street)
Essex County Registry Deeds, Salem, MA
Essex Norhtern Registry Deeds, Lawrence, MA
Correct contact, Juliette Kellogg -- P.A. archivist
James H. Cockran - 1844
Eastman Sanborn - Aug. 31, 1844 - b. 385 leaf 7 - Salem deed
Eastman Sanborn estate - died Feb. 14, 1860 - Probate
C. H. Adelaide Sanborn & Emma M. E. Sanborn, heirs - daughters
Emma M. E. Sanborn - Mar. 20, 1894 - b. 131 p. 191
Emma M. E. Sanborn estate, Boston University, by probate will - Apr. 25, 1927
Trustees of Abbot Academy - Apr. 26, 1927 - b. 531 - $5000.
Trustees of Phillips Academy - June 30, 1972 - b. 1222 p. 85 (see p. 87 Para. 8)
George A. & Grace H. Neilson - Aug. 30, 1978 - b. 1349 p. 626
Trustees of Phillips Academy - July 1, 1986 - b. 2232 p. 1
|Historic District||Academy Hill NRH District|
|Historic Name||Sanborn - Goggin House -|
|Present Use||faculty residence|
|Original Use||residence - dentist office|
|Construction Date||early 19th century|
|Source||ERDS, ENRDL, AHS file, njs, style|
|Architectural Style||Greek Revival|
|Architect/Builder||David Hidden ?|
|Roof||asphalt - gable|
|Outbuildings / Secondary Structures||modern garage|
|Major Alterations||garage 1963|
|Acreage||17,675 sq. ft.;approx. frontage 110'|
|Map and parcel||40-9|
|Recorded by||Stack/Mofford, James Batchelder|
|Organization||Andover Preservation Commission|
|Date entered||1975-77, 4/9/2015|