Themes - Architectural, Community Development and Social/humanitarian.
May 8, 1868 Andover Advertiser – Henry W. Abbott is about to build a new house on Punchard Ave. between the Grammar school house and Geo. L. Abbott.
Aug. 14, 1868 – William S. Jenkins is now building a dwelling house for Henry W. Abbott, on Punchard Ave.
George L. Abbott built and lived in the home at #6 Punchard Ave. 1856 map cites G. L. Abbott. 1872 map cites G.L. Abbott. 1888 map cites Mrs. H. W. Abbott.
The property was owned by Henry W. Abbott, an Andover merchant. On December 10, 1851 Henry W. Abbot purchased the land and brick store building at 1-5-7 Main St. for $2500. “The brick store was occupied for many years by Henry W. Abbott, son of Henry Abbott, born Oct. 12, 1810. He married February 10, 1842 to Eliza A. Frye b. Dec. 30, 1810 - d. July 9, 1876. Henry W. continued the operation the hardware business begun by his father and owned several properties on or near the Main Street business district.
Henry built the home at 4 Punchard Ave. and also a residence at 86 - 90 Main Street. which was moved to the rear of the property at 84 Main St in 1913 creating Main St. Terrace. Henry died on Aug. 3, 1877. Henry's children inherited; Charles H., Frederick M, Catherine F. Abbott, Helen A. Ingersol. The Abbott heirs used the property as income as they all were all living in Montclair, NJ at the time they sold the property to Bertel G. Willard of Millis, MA and Charles G. Willard of Andover on Oct. 12, 1911.
Nov. 20, 1911 – Leased Home for Aged on Punchard Ave – Charlotte Abbott house.
May 10, 1912 – p. 4 repairs on home completed – Aged Home on Punchard Ave. done.
June 7, 1912 – p. 4 Home for Aged Open - last Sat. description of rooms & history
July 19, 1912 pg. 5 Sunset Lodge of Punchard Avenue – Andover Home for Aged People.
The property was first leased then sold to the Andover Home for Aged People on Dec. 3, 1911 and the house renovated in 1911-1912 to accommodate single elderly residents. A new piazza added across the front and west side of the home. Later (after 1948) used as headquarters of American Red Cross and Visiting Nurses Assoc. until sold on Dec. 20, 1976 to Realtor Douglas N. Howe. Howe converted the home into office space and added a rear ell addition.
Essex County Registry Deeds, Salem, MA
Essex Northern Registry Deeds, Lawrence, MA
Andover Historical Society files - July 25, 1890 - Sept. 5, 1890
Andover Townsman: June 7, 1912 "Home for Aged Opened"
Andover maps - 1852 (welling), 1856, 1872, 1888
Henry W. Abbott - 1852
Jacob Chickering - Jan. 2, 1852 - b. 465 leaf 72 - lot $400.
Henry W. Abbott, wife Elizabeth A. - Oct. 28, 1853 - b. 486 leaf 278 - lot - $550.
Henry W. Abbott estate, heirs, Charles H. Frederick M, Catherine F. Abbott, Helen A. Ingersol
Bertel G. Willard & Charles G. Willard - Oct. 12, 1911 - b. 310 p. 542
Andover Home for Aged People - Dec. 3, 1911 - b. 313 p. 1
Douglas N. Howe - Dec. 20, 1976 - b. 1298 p. 552
4 Punchard Ave. Realty Trust, Douglas N. & Marie Howe Trustees - Jan. 4, 1991 - b. 3206 p. 103
1955 Realty Trust, Clifford J. Howe, Trustee - June 18, 1996 - b. 4526 p. 179
|Historic District||Not Applicable|
|Historic Name||Abbott, Henry W. House - Andover Home for the Aged|
|Present Use||Professional offices|
|Original Use||residence, rental property|
|Source||ECRDS, ENRDL, style-njs|
|Architect/Builder||William S. Jenkins - builder|
|Roof||asphalt - gable|
|Major Alterations||renovated, piazza added 1911-12, 1977 renovations to offices and rear ell, vinyl siding|
|Acreage||0.121 acre, 5,250 sq. ft. with 70' frontage|
|Map and parcel||39-45|
|Recorded by||Stack/Mofford, James S. Batchelder|
|Organization||Andover Historical Society, Andover Preservation Commissio|
|Date entered||1975-77, 3/19/2016|