Early period home, may be 18th century
Copy of Certificate from Massachusetts Historical Commission on file.
The shift in location of the Smith & Dove Manufacturing Co. from Frye Village (now Shawsheen Village) to Abbott Village began after they purchased the Abbott Mill in 1843. This created a demand for more housing for operatives in their mill.
This parcel at 4 Shawsheen Rd (formerly Village St.) also included 6 Shawsheen Rd above and is marked as J. Dooris on the 1852 map of Andover. James Dooris was a blacksmith and probably rented as he did not own the property until Feb. 27, 1854 when purchased from Nathan W. Hazen. The 1850 Valuation lists Dooris House and 1 acre of land $550, Farm stock $50. Dooris divided the parcel and sold off a piece that fronted on Cuba St. (#14) to John Bonner. The remainder of the property with the house was sold to John O'Connell on Aug. 29, 1854.
John O'Connell was born in Mar. 1825 in Ireland, son of Jeremiah & Bridget O'Connell. John came to the US at age 21 and settled in Lawrence where he worked as a wheelwright. He married on Feb. 16, 1850 in Lawrence, MA to Mary Horan b. 1826 in Ireland dau. of Patrick and Honora Horan. John moved to Andover in 1849, worked as a carpenter but then returned to his trade as a wheelwright. John & Mary had nine children: Bridget b. 1852, Charles Jeremiah b. 1853, William b. 1855, John A. b. 1857, Mary J. b. 1858, Susan J. b. 1861, David b. 1861, Arthur b. 1863, Lydia b. 1863 and George H. b. 1867.
The 1860 Valuation Schedule lists John O'Connell, West District, 1/2 acre land and house $800. The 1870 Valuation lists; Old house $800, New House $1000, barn $150, 1/2 acre $200 = $2150. His farm stock $56. The 1865 State census lists John and wife Mary and family at 4 Shawsheen Rd. We now know from the deed transfers that John and Mary moved up to the new house by 1870. They sold #4 to Harry H. & Franklin S. Noyes on Sept. 7, 1894. Mary died on October 20, 1896 and John two months later on Dec. 28, 1896. Both are interred at St. Augustine's Cemetery.
Harry H Noyes and Franklin S. Noyes held the property just three years then selling to Henry & Margaret Povo on Aug. 30, 1897. The 1900 Census lists Henry Povo b. Aug. 4, 1853 in Geysboro, Nova Scotia, son of William & Hannah Povo, black, a day laborer. Henry’s married a second time in 1895 to Catherine b. Oct. 1861 in Ireland, white. Catherine died after 1908 and Henry married a third time to March 21, 1913 to Margaret (Robbins) Smith b. 1875 in Ireland, dau. William & Catherine (Dolan) Robbins. 1920 Valuation for Henry Povo; 4 Shawsheen Rd. House and shed 2–4 Shawsheen Rd. $1000, 1/8 acre $200. Henry is listed as a Janitor Paper Mill in the 1920 census. Step-son Peter Smith, age 16, b. MA is working at Tyer Rubber Co. Henry died Sept. 27, 1924. Margaret sells to Frank & Annie Smith on June 17, 1926.
Essex Registry of Deeds, Salem MA
Essex Northern Registry Deeds, Lawrence, MA
Andover maps; 1852, 1872, 1906
Andover Valuation Schedules 1850, 1860, 1870, 1920
Andover Advertiser Jan. 1, 1897 John O'Connell Obit.
National & State Census records.
Nathan W. Hazen, wife Mary P. – Jan. 5, 1846 – b. 363 leaf 158
James Dooris, wife Catherine – Feb. 27, 1854 – b. 490 leaf 234 - $400
John O’Connell, wife Mary – Aug. 29, 1854 – b. 499 leaf 108 - $750 – ¾ acre w/bld
Moses Foster - Sept. 3, 1860 - b. 611 leaf 286 held mtg.
John F. Kimball, trustee – 1894, Moses Foster
John & Mary O’Connell - Sept. 6, 1894 - b. 135 p 371 - $800
Harry H. & Franklin S. Noyes - Sept. 7, 1894 - b. 135 p. 372 – Harry 2/3, Franklin 1/3
Henry Povo - Aug. 30, 1897 - b. 157 p. 253
Henry Povo estate, Sept. 27, 1924, heir Margaret - Probate
Margaret Povo - Apr. 7, 1925 - b. 510 p. 287
Frank & Annie Smith - June 17, 1926 - b. 523 p. 77
Emma F. Schwarzenberg - Aug. 24, 1933 - b. 571 p. 553
Annie Smith - Aug. 24, 1933 - b. 571 p. 554
Henry Smith & Mary O’Neil - Oct. 24, 1945 - b. 678 p. 169
Thomas Francis & Mary J. O’Neil - Oct. 24, 1945 - b. 678 p. 170
Mary J. O’Neil estate – 2004, Anne Jean Jaques, probate
Brian F. & Kristian A. Ritterhaus - Oct. 27, 2004 - b. 9147 p. 305
|Historic District||Andover Village Industrial NRH District|
|Construction Date||Circa 1820|
|Source||Andover Bldg. Survey|
|Foundation||stone & granite|
|Outbuildings / Secondary Structures||An exterior staircase on the north side of the house ascended up the hill to the O'Connell house at #6 Shawsheen Rd.|
|Major Alterations||Period image suggests a third story added to the south ell on the left. Cedar shingle siding about 2005 window replacement on southern facade|
|Acreage||less than one acre|
|Map and parcel||72-14|
|Recorded by||Stack/Mofford; James Batchelder|
|Organization||Andover Preservation Commission|
|Date entered||1975-77 updated 2013, 2022|