Typical center entrance Colonial and Federal style house. One of the first built on the street
now has two entries; two large chimney stacks behind ridge
Original owner Marland Manufacturing Company.
Themes - Architectural, Community Development and Industry.
Certificate from MA Historical Commission of file.
House appears on Hale survey made for M.T. Stevens Company at time they purchased Marland Manufacturing Company properties in 1879. Probably originally built for an overseer because of its easy access to bridge and mills. It was not part of a group of boarding houses or tenements built for mill operatives (as those on North Main St.) Also dates from earlier period of Marland Manufacturing Company building. House appears on earlier maps- probably part of purchase of Abraham Marland in 1828, after he leased mill privileges on Shawsheen, backed by Peter Brooks,
Period photographs show the house facing north to the mill buildings and was later turned 90 degrees to front on Stevens Street about 1900.
The land along Stevens Street was once large pasture and meadow and extended to Abraham Marland’s homestead estate at 29-33 Shawsheen Rd. Marland established a cotton mill in 1807 on the Shawsheen River at Abbott Village which continued until 1811 when he began production of woolen goods. In 1821 “Marland leased from Peter C. Brooks of Boston a mill privilege on the Shawsheen, together with new buildings erected on the site of what had been a powder mill. This is now known as Marland Village.
The buildings, which were leased for a term of twenty years, comprised a brick mill, the oldest of the present buildings, and a row of brick tenement houses.” In 1828 Marland bought the entire property, his purchase including the mill privilege, old paper and grist mills, and thirty acres of land. In 1834 the business was organized under the name Marland Manufacturing Company. Abraham Marland was the president until his death on Feb. 20, 1849. The 1850 Valuation schedule for the Marland Manufacturing Co. includes the Brick Block, House near the brick block, Taylor house, 5 dwelling houses on the Turnpike and 3 other buildings excluding the Mill buildings themselves. This house may be the Taylor House or the one near the brick block. The 1872 map shows W. Gleason on this site.
Nathaniel Frye succeeded Marland as the company president from 1849-1879. He was born in Andover and began working at the mill as a boy of 14. Nathaniel worked his way to the top. He built a fine mansion on North Main St. and Railroad Streets.
The company defaulted on an 1873 loan from the Andover Savings Bank and the mill was sold at auction to Moses T. Stevens of North Andover in 1879. Stevens began improvements at the mill and in 1884 relocated the road, building a causeway across the mill pond, a new bridge, and operative housing on North Main Street and Stevens Street.
August 8, 1884 AA pg. 2 col 7- Article on Marland Village, new tenements and new road and bridge.
In 1896 the Marland Mill operation employed 200 operatives and manufactured 875,000 lbs. of wool yearly. In 1902 the company was now M. T. Stevens & Sons, Co. and later became known as J. P. Stevens & Co. Inc. When the purchased the Marland Manufacturing Company, the property included the tenement housing on Marland Street, later renamed Stevens Street in 1904. In 1953 the Stevens Co. divested itself of all its housing stock in Marland Village which was then subdivided into separate parcels and sold to public residents. Approval of the subdivision plan #2620 was by the Andover Board of Appeals in Nov. 1952. On the plan, it is described as 2 1/2 story frame dwelling on lot #1.
John B. & Ronalde R. McAllister purchased the property on Mar. 11, 1953 for $4500. McAllister worked inthe Marland Mill and they lived at #61 Stevens St. in 1943. McAllister only owned for two years then selling to Sylvan P. & Viola Bernard on May 5, 1955. Sylvan died Jan. 28, 1962 and Viola G. Bernard held the property until her death in 1971.
Her estate was sold by Sylvia Whittaker, Extrix - Nov. 2, 1971 - will Probate #310064
Ronald E. & Vilma B. Park purchased the property on Nov. 19, 1971 from the Barnard Estate and owned for nine years. They then sold to Robert E. Wall & Arleen F. Evans on Sept. 29, 1980 who continue ownership 34 years later in 2014.
Plan of Property in Andover, was subdivided by M.T. Stevens and Sons, November 1952
Plan of Andover Mills, March 1880: R.A. Hale, surveyor (MVTM).
Essex County Registry Deeds, Salem, MA
Essex Northern Registry Deeds, Lawrence, MA
Andover Advertiser AA
Historical Sketches of Andover, S. Bailey 1880
Business History of Andover, 1896 Anniversary Souvenir.
Andover Historical Society files.
Andover Valuation and directories
Peter C. Brooks
Abraham Marland – 1828 - Feb. 20, 1849
Nathan Frye – Feb. 1849 - July 19, 1879
Moses T. Stevens Co. July 19, 1879 – b. 56 p. 482
M. T. Stevens & Sons Co. – Sept. 1, 1902 – b. 197 p. 180
J. P. Stevens & Co. Inc. – after 1946
John B. & Ronalde R. McAllister - Mar. 11, 1953 - b. 733 p. 437
Sylvan P. & Viola Bernard - May 5, 1955 - b. 812 p. 276
Viola G. Bernard heir, Sylvan died Jan. 28, 1962
Viola Bernard estate, Sylvia Whittaker, Extrix - Nov. 2, 1971 - will Probate #310064
Ronald E. & Vilma B. Park - Nov. 19, 1971 - b. 1183 p. 769
Robert E. Wall & Arleen F> Evans - Sept. 29, 1980 - b. 1457 p. 233
|Historic District||Andover Village Industrial NRH District|
|Historic Name||Marland Mills Worker Housing|
|Present Use||residence two family|
|Construction Date||early 19th century|
|Foundation||stone and brick|
|Major Alterations||vinyl siding 11/1/73, vinyl shingle 2004|
|Move Details||pivoted 90 degrees to face street, was facing north, abt. 1900|
|Map and parcel||54-16|
|Recorded by||Stack/Mofford, James Batchelder|
|Organization||Andover Preservation Commission|
|Date entered||1975-77, 7/2014|