Greek Revival schoolhouse
The Osgood School District was created in 1795 when the Town of Andover created twelve school districts, six in the North Parish and six in the South Parish. Prior to this the area was referred to as the Blanchard District and held one of the out lying schoolhouses built in the 1750's. The West Parish was established in 1826 and the Osgood District then included within West Parish. In 1793 it was voted to build a new schoolhouse but could not agree on a location and it was voted to use Jacob Osgood's house. In 1795 the old schoolhouse was dismantled and taken to the Rev. J. French's property (South Church minister) and rebuilt as a home for his negro servant Remy. The Osgood District built a new school which was located on the Jacob Osgood's farm at 116 Osgood St. This building served the district until 1838. That year the Ballad Vale School District was created from a portion of the southerly end of the Osgood District. Osgood District was in need of a new schoolhouse at that time, so they sold the old school to the Ballard Vale district which was moved to Clark Road.
The District built their new schoolhouse in 1838 and the new location was changed to the site at the corner of Osgood St. and Bellevue Rd. The land was deeded to the Osgood School District on April 11, 1853 by Job Abbott and Herman P. Chandler. The deed "quit claim a certain parcel of land under and adjoining the school house in said district and for the use thereof."
In 1866 the Town of Andover abolished the old District School System and began a Municipal School System governed by one School Board rather than separate Prudential Committees for each district. All the district properties were then turned over to the town. The Osgood School house was in need of improvements and in 1867 a new school house was built on the site of the old one.
April 19, 1867 Andover Advertiser – New Schoolhouse 26 x 36 is to be erected in the Osgood district this season. The interior will be finished in modern style, and its architecture will be similar to the schoolhouses in the Phillips and Center (West) districts. It will be located near the old one, and is to be completed before the 20th of August. Several school houses are undergoing repairs, it evidently being the design of the committee to furnish uniformly good schoolhouses throughout the town.
The Osgood School served grades 1 through 8 until 1926. It was reported that the school closed in 1926 but the public school records show 1930-1931 as the last year of record. Miss Catherine Barrett began her teaching career in Andover here from 1924 - 1926. Miss Barrett remembered "I arrived one morning in a snow storm before the "no school" signaled sounded and was unable to return home. She stayed from Thursday morning to Saturday noon with the Ward family next to the school-house. It was in February 1925" Miss Barrett was transferred to John Dove School and Maude Coggins finished out the Osgood School's history from 1926-1931. Miss Coggins taught grades 1 - 6 and resigned at the end of the school year. The building was closed and boarded up for 16 years.
At Town Meeting in 1947 the community voted to sell the school at auction. The building was 26' x 36' with a 16' ell on the rear, eight to fourteen feet wide. About 200 people arrived to the auction. It was stated at that time that the selectmen would place only one restriction in the deed, that the building must not be razed or moved from the premises, but repaired and put into good condition for living quarters because of the present housing shortage." The property sold for $3005 to Mrs. Hulda E. (Gartner) Fisher, wife of Henry A. of 53 Weare Street, Lawrence, MA. It would be Henry Fisher who converted the school building into a home. When completed his sold to Walter A. & Dorothy B. Fone on Jan. 13, 1948.
Building marker 1995
Essex County Registry Deeds, Salem, MA
Essex Northern Registry Deeds, Lawrence, MA
Andover Townsman. April 20, 1888: Old times in Osgood District
Job Abbott & Herman P. Chandler - 1853
Osgood School District - Apr. 11, 1853 - b. 479 leaf 69 - $25.
Inhabitants of the Town of Andover - Mar. 5, 1866 - Town Meeting Article #10
Inhabitants of the Town of Andover - Mar. 4, 1867 - Town Meeting Article #12
Inhabitants of the Town of Andover - Mar. 1947 - Town Meeting Article #12
Henry A. & Hulda E. (Gartner) Fisher - May 19, 1947 - b. 697 p. 549
Henry A. Fischer - July 15, 1947
Walter A. & Dorothy B. Fone - Jan. 13, 1948 - b. 707 p. 167
Charles & Helen Ash - Jan. 30, 1951 - b. 746 p. 219-220
Joseph G. & Marion M. Abdulla - Apr. 21, 1964 - b. 1008 p. 170
Darcy W. & Gloria Dowell - Dec. 1, 1967 - b. 1096 p. 404
Paul W. & Lisa D. Maue - Oct. 17, 1991 - b. 3333 p. 54
|Place||Osgood District - West Andover|
|Historic District||Not Applicable|
|Historic Name||Osgood District School House|
|Original Use||District Schoolhouse|
|Architectural Style||Greek Revival|
|Roof||asphalt - gable|
|Outbuildings / Secondary Structures||modern garage|
|Major Alterations||Converted to residence in 1947, attached garage Bath & addition to 1st floor 1967-70|
|Acreage||0.500 acre; approx. frontage 185' on Bellevue and 150' on Osgood St.|
|Map and parcel||198-2|
|Recorded by||Stack/Mofford, James S. Batchelder|
|Organization||Andover Preservation Commission|
|Date entered||1975-77, 1/5/2016|