41 Pearson Street

Architectural Description: 

Cape style home with roof dormers, connecting ells on both sides

Historical Narrative: 

Theme: Architectural, Commerce, Community development, and Transportation.

This empty lot at #41 Pearson Street is now as a second access road into the Town Yard on Lewis St. and was parking for the former Youth Center housed at #39 Pearson St. On April 4, 1988 at Town Meeting, article #26, the town took by eminent domain the Old Culley - Stack Homestead for expansion of the town yard. The intention by the town was to raze the old home but a fire in the building on Oct. 27, 1989 hastened the demolition of the historic structure.

Pearson Street was named for the Rev. Eliphalet Pearson, L.L.,D, born 1752 in Byfield, Newbury, MA, graduate of Harvard in 1773, taught at Andover Grammar School in 1774, first Principal of Phillips Academy 1778-1786. In 1806 he helped found the Andover Theological Seminary. Pearson moved to Harvard, MA in 1820 and died on Sept. 12, 1826.
The property on Pearson St. was once owned by Eliphalet Pearson and the street or way is referenced in 1830 deeds. Pearson's land in Andover was sold by Ephraim Abbot and Stephen Gardner, Trustees of his estate,.

It should be noted that the B&M Railroad had not yet been built, opened in 1848., but the Andover - Wilmington Railroad line 1838-1848 did cross on the upper east end of Pearson Street.

Joshua H. Ward of Salem, MA bought five parcels of land along Pearson St. from the Pearson estate on Dec. 25, 1830. Ward paid $1267. which included several house lots.

Mathew Culley purchased the lot for $75 from Joshua H. Ward, Esq. of Salem, MA on Aug. 28, 1841. Culley, a Laborer had the home built. The 1850 Andover Valuation on real estate lists, Mathew Culley's dwelling house, barn & shed, adjoining blds, and 1/3 ace for $900. a 1/4 acre house lot $200 and farm stock at $100. The 1852 map of Andover also lists Culley at this property. Mathew Culley (or Cully) was born in County Carlow, Ireland about 1796, the 1850 Census lists1800. He married on Aug. 6, 1837 in to Rebecca Dane b. Sept. 23, 1797 in Andover, dau. of Henry & Elizabeth (Dane) Dane. They did not have children.

This was Culleys' home until his death in 1865 at age 69. Mathew's will gave Rebecca her choice of any bedding and bedstead in the house. The house and contents were to be sold at auction, all debts paid, and the remainder of the estate was to be placed in Trust for Rebecca. She would receive an annual income of $120. "for her comfort and support", to be paid semi-annually. Culley's estate totaled $25350.80 Joseph Rice, Executor and Trustee, died before Rebecca and E. Francis Holt was later appointed Trustee to her estate. Mathew Culley in interred in St. Augustine's Cemetery. After Rebecca's death the estate was to be divided into 10 equal shares. Seven shares were to go to his cousins living in Ireland, children of his uncle John Culley. the remaining three shares went to cousins Ellen Murphy, wife of Patrick and Margaret Roach, both of Andover and his Uncle John Culley.

Joseph Rice sold Cully estate on Aug. 26, 1865 at auction to Louis M. Edge of Lawrence for $1700. Edge owned the house four years. It appears that Edge rented the house to the widow Rebecca Culley as she is at this location in 1865 State census. Also in the house is Margaret Roach, age 40, an operative, and William Higgins 46, operative, wife Susan age 40, Catherine 23 and Jane 19. Rebecca Culley died on Jan. 1, 1869 of Consumption age 69y 4m.

Two weeks later Edge sells to John Stack for $1800 on Jan. 14, 1869. John Stark was born in Ireland in Jan. 1818 and immigrated to America in 1849. John was naturalized in Mar. 1857 and lists his birth as Jan. 1, 1822 in Ireland. He was a stone mason by trade. John was married twice and both wives were named Mary. The first marriage produced six children; Ellen b. 1852, Thomas b. 1854, John b. 1855, Mary b. 1857, Michael b. 1859 and Elizabeth b. 1861. His first wife died and he then remarried in 1867 to Mary also Irish b. 1822.

In the 1870 census half of John’s children are employed; Ellen 18 and Thomas 16 are working at Smith & Dove. John 15 is at Marland Mill. The three youngest are in school. By 1880 on three remain at home, John 23 is now a Finisher in the flax mill, Michael 22 a Carder and Elizabeth 18 a Spinner all at Smith & Dove.

The Stack property extended to the Boston & Maine Railroad on the west and the lot that now holds the two-family home at #37-39 Pearson St. The new two family apartment house at #39 was built by the Stack family about 1898 and remained in the family until 1948.

The 1900 Federal census has John Stack age 82 and his wife Mary age 88 as owners of property containing two houses. Renting the unit at #39 Pearson St. is his son Michael J. Stack b. Dec. 1858 age 41 a Teamster, wife Katherine b. May 1867 age 33, and four young children; Twins Elizabeth and Annie b. July 1893 age 6, John J. b. June 1895 age 4, and Esther b. Apr. 1898 age 2.
The property was deed to Michael J. Stack on Apr. 26, 1902. John Stack died on April 28, 1903 age 84y 5m 28d.

Michael Stack died on May 1, 1938 and his wife Katherine Stack, was heir through Probate #192107. Katherine Stack held the property from 1938 – 1942 then deeded to her daughters Annie M. Stack & Elizabeth C. Stack on May 4, 1942.

Elizabeth C. Stack died on March 30, 1945 and Annie M. Stack became sole heir of the property. Annie M. Stack died in 1948 and her estate was administered by May E. Cox, Executrix on Sept. 7, 1948. At this time the property was divided into two separate parcels with lot "A" being the apartment house and lot "B", the old Stack homestead. See Map #1928 - Sept. 1947 John J. Stack et alli - recorded Sept. 1948 -

This property, Parcel B, appears to have gone to son John J. Stack born in 1895 and remaining Stack heirs. Joseph P. & Placida O. Stack then held the property at the time the Town of Andover purchased the property by eminent domain on April 12, 1989 - Parcel B - #41- #43 Pearson St.


Essex County Registry Deeds, Salem, MA
Essex Northern Registry Deeds, Lawrence, MA
Ancestry.com - Stack Family
Federal Census - 1900, 1880, 1870

Eliphalet Pearson
Eliphalet Pearson estate, Trustees Ephriam Abbot, Stephen Gardner - Sept. 12, 1826
Joshua H. Ward of Salem, MA - Dec. 25, 1830 - $1267. - five parcels
Mathew Culley - Aug. 28, 1841, rec. 6/25/1842 -b. 332 leaf120 - $75 lot of land
Mathew Culley estate, Joseph Rice Extr. - Aug. 1865
Lewis M. Edge - Aug. 26, 1865 - b. 692 leaf 218 - $1700
John Stack – Jan. 14, 1869 – b. 763 leaf 140 - $1800
Michael J. Stack – Apr. 26, 1902 – b. 193 p. 466
Michael J. Stack estate, Katherine Stack heir – Probate #192107 – d. May 1, 1938
Katherine Stack 1938 – 1942
Annie M. Stack & Elizabeth C. Stack – May 4, 1942 – b. 650 p. 460
Elizabeth C. Stack estate, Annie M. Stack heir, - died Mar. 30, 1945
Annie M. Stack estate, May E. Cox, Extx. – Sept. 7, 1948 – b. 715 p. 433-434
John N. & Florence P. Coussoule – Sept. 7, 1948 – b. 715 p. 433 – Parcel A - 37-39 Pearson St.
John J. Stack – Parcel B - 41 Pearson St.
Joseph P. & Placida O. Stack
Town of Andover – April 12, 1989 – b. 2914 p. 246 – Parcel B – eminent domain 41-43 Pearson

Also see additional parcel from Boston & Maine Railroad to John Stack - April 25, 1878 b. 51 p. 275 - triangle lot of about 1/2 acre. The B&M RR purchased it from Joseph L. Low on Jan 20, 1847 b. 377 leaf 124 Salem deeds.

Inventory Data:

StreetPearson St
PlaceAndover Center
Historic DistrictNot Applicable
Historic NameMathew Culley - John Stack House
Present UseParking and access way
Original Useresidence
Construction Date1841 - 1842
Architectural StyleFederal
Foundationstone & granite
Roofgable - asphalt
ConditionRazed 1989
Demolition DetailsFire Oct. 27, 1989 - razed
Acreage0.174 acre
Map and parcel38-2
Recorded byStack/Mofford, James Batchelder
OrganizationAndover Preservation Commission
Date entered1975-77, 1/5/2015