High quality Bungalow Craftsman style design; strong planes of roof, well-balanced by void of porch. Porch is most remarkable feature distinguishing this building in a contemporaneous neighborhood.
Overhanging roof with recessed porch; porch has paired tapering columns on shingled bases; large 1/1 windows
Owners Tremblay, Charles and Joan (1980)
Themes - Architectural and Community Development
This property was once owned by Ira C. Randall in 1897 before Pine Street was built. Ira Randall lived at 121 Elm St. was a carpenter with a specialty in stair building. He died in Nov. 1904. A narrow cart way first gave access to the pastures and woods beyond to Summer St. Pine Street was accepted as a road by the Town in March 1902. In the 1920 Andover Directories this property is listed as #11 Pine Street.
This lot of land was sold to David O. Whitman by Randall on Dec. 17, 1897. David O. Whitman was born June 1862 in Nova Scotia, son of Robert M. & Charlotte E.(Hall) Whitman. He immigrated in 1880 and worked as a salesman in a periodical store in 1910. He first married on Dec. 11, 1887 in North Andover to widow Annie (Clough) Evans age 27, a Domestic and daughter of Ward & Rebecca Clough. Annie died and in 1890 he remarried Margaret J. Elliot b. June 1864 in New Brunswick, Canada and immigrated in 1886. David and Margaret had two children: Edith Lee b. Dec. 1891 and Gordon b. June 1893. Whitman appears to have lived at 35 Pine St. (#9 in 1910) and sold the property to John Bacon of Lawrence, MA and wife Anne on October 20, 1915.
John C. Bacon was born in 1880 in Maine and worked as a shipping clerk at Tyer Rubber Co. The 1920 census list Carrie P. Bacon age 34 wife b. MA as a clerk at Tyer Rubber Co. The Andover Valuation of 1920 lists John Bacon at 11 Pine St. - Bungalow $1500, Barn $100 1/2 acre $400 = $2000 assessment.
Bacon owned for 15 years.
Bertha B. Reynolds of Quincy, MA purchased the home on May 15, 1930 and held ownership for ten years then selling to Archie A. & Alice M. Gunn on April 3, 1940. Sadly Alice died on Nov. 6, 1946. Archie later remarried and the deed was placed in both names Archie and Margaret V. Gunn. The Gunns owned for 22 years.
The property was purchased by Charles J. and Joan R. Tremblay on June 15, 1962 and continues in the family now 56 years in June 2018.
Essex Northern Registry Deeds, Lawrence, MA
Andover Valuation Schedule 1920
Ira C. Randall - land near Elm St.
David O. Whitman - Dec. 17, 1897 - b. 159 p. 490
John R. Bacon, wife Anne - Oct. 20, 1915 - b. 358 p. 585
Bertha B. Reynolds - May 15, 1930 - b. 552 p. 91
Archie A. & Alice M. Gunn - April 3, 1940 - b. 629 p. 432
Alice M. Gunn estate, Archie A. Gunn heir - Nov. 6, 1946 - Probate
Archie A. & Margaret V. Gunn - Nov. 18, 1948 - b. 716 p. 105
Charles J. & Joan R. Tremblay - June 15, 1962 - b. 960 p. 379
Charles J. Tremblay estate, heir Joan R. - Jan. 1, 1983 - Probate
Joan R. (Tremblay) Bibeau
41 Pine St. Trust, Joan R. Bibeau trustee - June 17, 1999 - b. 5466 p. 130
|Historic District||Not Applicable|
|Historic Name||John & Anne Bacon House|
|Source||ERDS, NERDL, style,|
|Major Alterations||casement window - mid 20th century, enclosed front porch|
|Acreage||0.44995 acre; 40' frontage, 20' from street|
|Map and parcel||21-125|
|Recorded by||W. Frontiero, James Batchelder|
|Organization||Andover Preservation Commission|
|Date entered||2/27/80, 3/30/2018|