Certificate on file of 41 Red Spring Road, Andover MA as included in the National Register of Historic Places as part of the Andover Village Industrial District.
This house is not listed on the 1884 map of Andover yet a date of 1880 is listed with the assessors office. It is however possible that the house was moved to this location from Cuba St. when a newer home was to be built. As deeds only follow property and not structures more investigation work is needed. An birds eye photo view of Abbott Village taken about 1914 from the roof of the Hart Block at 10 Cuba St. shows the view residents had of the village and Andover Center beyond. The house roof to the right is 6 Shawsheen Rd. Andrew Thompson owned the property in 1860 with a valuation on 1/2 acre and dwelling house $600.
The deed line takes the property to Andrew Thompson who built the home at #30 Cuba St. Thompson also purchased and moved the old one room schoolhouse to his property in 1895, so it is possible he acquired this home the same way. The Andover Valuation schedulers for 1900, 1910 & 1920 all list three houses on the Thompson half acre of land. This is listed as House & shed rear of Cuba $600 in 1910. Andrew Thompson died on May 7, 1899 and is interred at Christ Church Cemetery. (See 30 Cuba for more detailed history)
Andrew's daughter Jennie S. Thompson inherited the property and she sold this house with 10,000 sq. feet of land to Evelyn M. Graham on Jan. 31, 1930. Evelyn deeded the property to Dorothy May Graham a few months later. After Dorothy's death in 1935 Evelyn, her guardian, sold the property to Loris & Elizabeth Stefani on Dec. 27, 1935. Loris was a painter. They held the property ten years then purchased the home at 244 South Main St. in Dec. 1943. This home was sold to James & Genevieve B. Nelson Jr. on Aug. 31, 1945.
Loyd E. & Corabell Cameron of Somerville, MA purchased the house on June 2, 1949. Loyd died on Sept. 30, 1959 and Corabell would later sell the home to John & Bertha O'Brien in July 1966. The O'Briens owned the property for 24 years.
Todd & Donna Richardson purchased the house on Feb. 2, 1990. They continue to reside here in 2014. Todd is a firefighter with the Andover Fire Department. They have made extensive repairs and renovations to the home during their ownership.
This house fronted on Red Spring Rd. so has that address but access is only made via Cuba St.
Essex County Registry Deeds, Salem, MA
Essex Northern Registry Deeds, Lawrence, MA
Andover Map 1852, 1855, 1872, 1882, 1888, 1906
Andover Street Directories
Federal Census records, 1860, 1870, 1880, 1900
Andover Valuation schedules,
See plan #1817 of James Nelson Jr. - Nov. 1947
Andrew Thompson - 1860 valuation 1/2 acre, dwelling house $600.
Andrew Thompson - Apr. 2, 1897 - b. 153 p. 576 mtg
Jennie S. Thompson - by will 1908
Evelyn M. Graham - Jan 31, 1930 - b. 550 p. 473
Dorothy May Graham - Aug. 11, 1930 - b. 554 p. 23
Dorothy May Graham estate, Evelyn Graham, Gdn. - Dec. 20, 1935
Loris & Elizabeth M. Stefani - Dec. 27, 1935 - b. 595 p. 595
James & Genevieve B. Nelson Jr. - Aug. 31, 1945 - b. 676 p. 255
James & Genevieve B. Nelson Jr. - Nov. 17, 1947 - b. 705 p. 150
Loyd E. & Corabell Cameron - June 2, 1949 - b. 723 p. 294
Corabell S. Cameron, by will, Loyd died Sept. 30, 1959
John F. & Bertha I. O'Brien - July 14, 1966 - b. 1064 p. 195
Todd & Donna Richardson - Feb. 2, 1990 - b. 3065 p. 192
|Street||Red Spring Rd|
|Historic District||Andover Village Industrial NRH District|
|Acreage||less than one acre|
|Map and parcel||72-10|
|Recorded by||James S. Batchelder|
|Organization||Andover Preservation Commission|
|Date entered||June 26, 2014|