Washington Ave. was constructed in 1889 and named on the Centennial of George Washington’s visit to Andover in 1789. Constructed over farm land of Charles O. Cummings, house lots were then sold off to residents and developers. By 1906 eighteen new homes had been built. Interesting to note that five new owners, Tyler, Lewis, Gray, Stiles and Caldwell were House Carpenters and Cummings and Wardwell were developers at each end of the avenue.
Aug. 30, 1889 Andover Townsman p. 4 - The new street, Washington Ave. is progressing rapidly, and from all appearances it is likely to be a good piece of road. The ledge at the Elm Street end had been blasted sufficiently, and the men are now engaged cutting down the ground above the grad and filling in the lower places. Quite a piece stretching from Summer Street is ready for the finishing touches.
October 25, 1889 AT – The new street Washington Ave. is beginning to look like a very good piece of road. The top dressing of red spring gravel is being put on.
Nov. 1, 1889 p.1 AT Commissioner Hayward has finished putting the top coat of Red Spring gravel on Washington Ave. and one sidewalk has been made the entire length.
41 Washington Ave
This property was owned by Benjamin F. Wardwell, a house carpenter who lived at 42 Summer St. and created three house lots on his homestead lot; #41, #39 and #37. Wardwell built #41 & #39 and first rented the houses prior to his death in 1914.
AT Mar. 16, 1894 – B.F. Wardwell has moved a barn connected with one of his Summer Street houses to Washington Avenue and is converting it into a house.
The above item from the Townsman adds an interesting twist to this home and its neighbor at #39.
Either one may be older than currently listed, only construction materials may reveal the answer.
The 1900 Census list tenants Joseph W. & Isabella J. Whittmore, with two children Sarah E. age 10, Arthur R. age 3 at this address. Joseph is a Printer.
1910 Census has Henry W. Symonds age 58, a gardener for a private family, wife Alice M. 58, son Henry B. age 30 Rubber Worker, and dau. Alice W. 23 clerk in a millinery shop.
Next door at #37 with George & Mattie Caldwell is James C. Souter and his family.
This property was sold to James C. Souter on July 2, 1914 by the Wardwell estate for $1850. James Creighton Souter born June 21, 1876, Andover, MA son of James & Anna (Wilson) Souter. James was a Plumber and steamfitter. He married on Sept. 23, 1903 to Margaret Poland b. May 1878 in Scotland, dau. of James & Ellen (Sterling) Poland. They had four children; James Wilson b. May 28, 1904, John Bruce b. June 24, 1906, Alfred Fuller b. Dec. 11, 1907 and Marion Mary b. Feb. 19, 1914.
The Polands owned the home for 57 years. James placed the deed in Margaret’s name in 1922. James was active in town afairs, served on the Finance Committee, Pomp’s Pond Committee and the building committee of the new Jr. High. Before his retirement he was an investigator in Northern Mass. for the State Board of Examiners & Plumbers, Mass. Building & Trades Council. And past chancellor of Garfield lodge of Knights of Pythias. James died on May 14, 1946 at age 70. Margaret later sold the house to her son James W. and wife Marianna on Aug. 14, 1952. Margaret died in 1956. Both are interred in Spring Grove Cemetery.
James Wilson Souter was a member of Punchard High School class of 1921. He left to become a printer and compositor for the newspaper. He married in 1943 to Marianna C. Cromie b. 1917 a clerk at the Andover Savings Bank. James later worked in Lawrence for Bolta. James brother John B. and wife Marie lived down the street at #32 Washington Ave. James & Marianna had no children and sold the property on May 21, 1971 to Daniel J. & Geraldine A. Tambaso. Marianna died on Jan. 3, 1973 and James in 1980.
Northern Essex Registry Deeds, Lawrence, MA
Andover Valuation Schedule
Ancestry.com - Souter family
Mary B. Frye, wife of Enoch – Nov. 8, 1854 – b. 503 leaf 143
Mary B. Frye estate – May 2, 1873 – b. 21 p. 55 –
Benjamin F. Wardwell, wife Hannah E.– May 2, 1873 – b. 21 p. 55 (42 Summer St.)
Benjamin F. Wardwell estate, Nelson H.B. Wardwell, Extr. – June 11, 1914 – Probate
James C. Souter – July 2, 1914 – b. 343 p. 300 - $1850
Margaret P. Souter, wife of James – July 5, 1922 – b. 458 p. 386
James W. & Marianna C. Souter – Aug. 14, 1952 – b. 765 p. 495
Daniel J. & Geraldine A. Tambaso – May 12, 1971 – b. 1170 p. 622
|Place||Andover Center District|
|Historic District||Ballardvale Local Historic District|
|Historic Name||James C. & Margaret Souter House|
|Construction Date||1897 - 1900|
|Source||ERDS, NERDL, style,|
|Architectural Style||Queen Anne|
|Architect/Builder||Benjamin F. Wardwell|
|Foundation||stone & granite|
|Major Alterations||addition to south side of house|
|Map and parcel||21-66|
|Recorded by||W. Frontiero, James S. Batchelder|
|Organization||Andover Preservation Commission|
|Date entered||28 Feb 1980, 1/30/2020|