41 Whittier Street

Historical Narrative: 

41 Whittier Street – (formerly Punchard Ave) 39-124

Whittier Street was named after Nathaniel Whittier who lived at 10 Summer Street and much of the property along the route was part of his homestead. This street was an extension of Punchard Ave originally extending around the south and east side of the “Park” and through to Elm Street. All early deeds state Punchard Ave.

This lot was purchased on July 1, 1870 for $230 from Nathaniel Whittier by James Alfred Abbott and the deed placed with his 3rd wife Mary E. Abbott. James was born in 1818 in Andover, son of Capt. Abel & Mary (Jones) Abbott. He grew up at 53 Red Spring Road and became a Carpenter. He was a member of South Church. James first married on Dec. 30, 1841 to Mary Jaquith b. Dec. 5, 1819 dau. of James & Phebe Jaquith. They had two children; George Alfred b. Nov. 15, 1843 and Abbie D. b. 1847. Mary died on Dec. 8, 1852. James remarried on Feb. 28, 1855 in Lowell to Hannah Matilda Abbott b. 1819 dau. of Asa & Hannah (Bailey) Abbott. James & Matilda had one son Asa b. 1858 in NH. Sadly Matilda died in 1859. James would later marry Mary E. Jones on March 17, 1870. Mary was born Sept. 1828 dau. of Ebenezer & Mary K. Jones.
James may have had a hand in building his home that they would share until James death on July 28, 1903 at age 85 years. Mary E. remained four more years then sold the home to John F. Morse on April 15, 1907.

John Francis Morse born, June 1856 in Andover son of John Curtis and Catherine Morse. John was also a carpenter. He married on Oct. 31, 1894 to Lillian A. Woodbridge. b. 1868 dau. of Adolphus & Lydia (Mason) Woodbridge. Lillian as a dressmaker. They had two daughters, Ida Mildred b. 1899 and Elizabeth J. b. 1903. John later worked as a carpenter for Tyer Rubber Co.
The home would remain with the Morse family for 50 years. John died in 1937 and Lillian in 1956. They are interred at Spring Grove Cemetery.


Essex County Registry Deeds, Salem, MA
Essex Northern Registry Deeds, Lawrence, MA
Andover Advertiser - Andover Townsman
Andover maps 1872, 1882, 1888, 1906
Ancestry.com - Abbott and Morse families
Andover Directories

Nathaniel Whittier
Mary E. Abbott, wife of James Alfred Abbot – July 1, 1870 – b. 5 p. 477
John Frank Morse, wife Lillie A – April 15, 1907 – b. 244 p. 580
Elizabeth Leamon – Aug. 20, 1936 – b. 600 p. 249
John Frank & Lillie A. Morse – Aug. 20, 1936 – b. 600 pgs. 249-250
John Frank Morse estate, heir Lillie A. Morse
Lillie A. Morse estate, John M. Lane Adm. – Jan. 21, 1957 – Probate
Frederick N. Jr. & Mildred A. Nowell – Apr. 29, 1957 – b. 853 p. 231
Margaret Jane Bachman – Dec. 27, 1966 – b. 1074 p. 398
Joseph M. & Jane (Bachman) Hastings – Sept. 23, 1999 – b. 5559 p. 74
Michael Helman & Mary B. Lalley – Sept. 15, 2003 – n. 8250 p. 22

Inventory Data:

StreetWhittier St
PlaceAndover Center District
Historic DistrictAndover Historic Building Survey
Historic NameJames A. & Mary E. Abbott House
Present Useresidence
Original Useresidence
Construction Date1870
SourceERDS, NERDL, style,
Architectural StyleGreek Revival
Major AlterationsReplacement windows, additions to south side and rear attached garage. Front porch alterations.
Acreage0.303 a
Map and parcel39-124
Recorded byStack/Mofford, James S. Batchelder
OrganizationAndover Preservation Commission
Date entered1975 - 1977, 11/16/2019