John Chandler purchased from Amos C. Abbot on Feb. 23, 1869 for $6500 two parcels of land (Bk. 769 leaf 137 Salem Deeds). The first contained 2 acres across from #51 Red Spring Rd. east of the street and down to the Shawsheen River. The second parcel contained 75 acres, “with buildings north of the road being Amos Abbot’s Homestead farm and being the entire premises conveyed to me by deeds of Job Abbot (his father) in two parcels.” The land contained the three houses at #51, #53, & #55 and a barn.
John Chandler was born on December 12, 1812 in Andover, married April 11, 1839 to Phebe Russell b. Aug. 28, 1818, daughter of Joel Russell and Sally Curtis. John and Phebe had four children; John Henry b. 1840, George Warren b. 1842, Ann Elizabeth, b. 1844, and Emma, bapt. May 1849.
The Chandler’s occupied the house at #51. John was originally a farmer but began a wood and coal business in 1870. At age 70 in 1882 he sold his business to his son George. Chandler rented out the other two houses on property. The David Bruce family had occupied #53 since 1870 and later Chandler sold to Bruce #53 and #55, the old Capt. Abel lot, in 1885.
Chandler’s 2½ acres across the street from his home, were sold off at auction for house lots in July 1887.
The following notice appeared in the Andover Advertiser; “Will be sold at public auction on Saturday, July 9th at 2 o’clock P.M. on the premises; six house lots, 100 feet front by 200 feet deep containing from one-third to one half an acre, situated on the south side of Mineral St. in Abbott Village near the residence of John Chandler. Within three minutes walk of Andover depot, less than one mile from Phillips Academy, one half mile from the High and Grammar schools. Conditions of sale, $25.00 at time of sale, balance in thirty days when deed will be given.
Also the following articles of personal property. Two good team horses, weighing 1200 lbs. each, sound and kind, one set double team harness in good order, one two horse wood wagon, one market wagon, one tip cart for one horse one mowing machine, etc, etc.”
John Chandler, Samuel G. Bean Auctioneer.
Two large lots were sold that day with included #54, #60-62 and #64 to Joseph Midgley and #58 to Mrs. May Mahoney, wife of John Mahoney.
In 1891 Chandler sold his home and farm of about 72 acres to Peter D. Smith, President of the Smith & Dove Co. An auction on April 18,1891 listed “property which consists of 3 cows, 2-horse wood wagon, 1-horse farm wagon, 2-horse dingle cart, good carryall, beach wagon, sleigh, pair double harnesses, single lead and cart harness, plows, harrows, and a large lot of farming implements. Hay cutter, mowing machine, some household furniture, about two tons of hay.
Also two good house lots and various other articles too numerous to mention. Terms Cash.”
John and Phebe moved from the old homestead to a house on Chestnut Street formerly occupied by W.E. Gray. The Townsman reported at the end of May that the house would be occupied by William Angus and William Greig.
Catherine Clark, wife of Justin Clark purchased two lots from Chandler on May 9, 1891. Justin built the two family home at 38-40 Red Spring Rd., formerly named Mineral St. until 1904, and the rest of the land remained vacant, which included #42-44 and #46-48
Aug. 16, 1895 Andover Townsman (AT) - Real Estate Transactions p1; – “Justin E. Clark is to build a two-tenement house on his vacant lot on Mineral Street. The batters are up and work will begin right away. (#38-#40)
Thomas David, overseer at the Smith & Dove Mills, has also bought a house lot on Mineral Street (#61) adjoining the Bruce property and owned by Peter D. Smith.”
AT p. 4 Abbott Village – “Contractor Sewell has Justin Clarks’s new house shingled and about clapboarded.
Thomas David has decided not to erect a house on his land this winter.”
Clark rented the apartments to operatives in the local mills then sold to the property to the Smith & Dove Manufacturing Co. on April 16, 1897.
Apr. 17, 1897 p.1 AT - The portion on the east side of Mineral Street belonging to Justin Clark has been sold to the Smith & Dove Mfg. Co. The sale was affected through Roger’s Real Estate Agency."
April 23, 1897 AT p1 – "The Smith & Dove Co. intend to build on the Justin Clark land on Mineral Street, recently purchased by them."
This sale included Justin Clark's two family house at 38-40 which Smith & Dove evidently liked as they used the same plan on the the two tenements they built next door.
May 7, 1897 At p1 – The contract to build two tenement houses for the Smith & Dove Co. on the Clark land on Mineral Street has been given to Richardson & Pitman.
May 21, 1897 p1 AT – Richardson & Pitman have the batters up for the two new houses of the Smith & Dove Co. on Mineral Street.
Sept. 24, 1897 AT p.1 – John Killacky, David Laing, and James Ramsey have moved into the new houses recently built in Abbott Village by the Smith and Dove Manf. Co.
[1898 Andover Directory - John & Isabella Killacky, son John Jr. 48 Mineral St., Emp. S&D. Co. – David & Mary Laing, carpenter 46 Mineral St. – James & Jane Ramsey – laborer at 44 Mineral St. also with Bella, Jeanie, & Margaret Ramsey all emp. at S & D. Co.]
Smith and Dove acquired several properties in the next 20 years for the conviencience of their workers. Apartments were rented out to operatives of the mill first, then to any resident..
The Smith & Dove Co. was purchased by the Ludlow Co. in 1927 the holdings were parceled off and sold to private residents. Smith & Dove placed the housing units into the Smith & Dove Tenement, Inc, and sold through that name. It was soon changed to Andover Homes, Inc.
Essex County Registry Deeds, Salem, MA
Essex Northern Registry Deeds, Lawrence, MA
Andover Street Directories
Andover Advertiser AA
Andover Townsman AT
1906 atlas Smith & Dove Co.
1900 tax list valued at $1,650, owned by Smith & Dove.
John & Phebe Chandler - Feb. 23, 1869 - bk. 769 leaf 137 Salem Deeds
Catherine S. & Justin S. Clark - May 9, 1891 - b. 113 p. 16 land
Smith & Dove Manufacturing Co. – April 16, 1897 – b. 154 p. 383 land & building
Smith & Dove Manufacturing Co. - Feb. 21, 1927 - b. 154 p. 383
Smith & Dove Tenements, Inc. - Feb. 21, 1921 - b. 529 p. 583
Frank Connolly - Apr. 27, 1928 - b. 539 p. 393
Andover Savings Bank - Aug. 4, 1930 - b. 554 p. 340 - possession
Sam Dagota - Sept. 19, 1933 - b. 572 p. 401
Elizabeth Emma Roberts, widow - Oct. 11, 1934 - b. 583 p. 419
Michael J. Casey - Nov. 5, 1957 - b. 611 p. 484
Charles B. Roberts & Elizabeth E. Roberts - Nov. 5, 1957 - b. 611 p. 485
Charles B. Roberts -
Irving M. & Shirley A. Leoff and Raymond A. & Lisabeth Edwards - Dec. 29, 1958 - b. 886 p. 82 - each family one half of the house.
Donald I & Barbara L. Richmond - Feb. 13, 1969 - b. 1125 p. 2
ARCO Properties, Inc. Richmond, - June 13, 2007 - b. 10810 p. 155
|Street||Red Spring Rd|
|Historic District||Andover Village Industrial NRH District|
|Historic Name||Smith & Dove Manf. Co. - Worker Housing|
|Present Use||residences - 2 family|
|Original Use||residence - 2 family|
|Architect/Builder||Richardson & Pitman builders|
|Map and parcel||72-4|
|Recorded by||B. Thibault, James Batchelder|
|Organization||Andover Historical Society Andover Preservation Commission,|
|Date entered||10-9-90, May 2014|