44 - 46 Main Street – Goldberg – Woolworth’s Building - Built 1936
This business block is nearly the same as it was the year it constructed in 1936. Built by Anna Goldberg of Winthrop, the store was completed in January of 1937. The Art Deco facade remains unchanged except the entrance door to #44. The interiors still have the original maple hardwood floors and pressed tin ceilings. The entrance aprons are of small square tile and a red “W” inlaid in the work gives a clue of the buildings first tenant. In January 1937, the F. W. Woolworth Co. which was also called the “5 & 10” cent store by local residents opened. Woolworth’s manager Mr. DeMaranville held the grand opening on January 29th. Woolworth would remain the primary tenant until 1959 when the business relocated to the new Shawsheen Plaza on North Main Street.
Missing now from the building, are the square metal basement access doors that were once in the sidewalk in front of the windows to the left of the main store entrance. Unnoticed by pedestrians is "Roger’s Brook" which was capped over during construction and runs under a portion of the smaller store. The deed contains riparian rights for both this building and the ARCO building next door.
Sherwin Williams paint store then occupied the vacated Woolworth’s space until the mid 1982s. Regina’s Gifts of Lexington and Newburyport then opened in 1982 and remained here until 2009. The Sotherland & Co. Rug Gallery open later that year specializing in Oriental rugs and closed in November 2012. The Chic Consignment Closet which was in the smaller storefront then moved into the larger space in 2013.
The smaller store #46 has held a variety of different business. The first occupant was Carter’s Candy Store, followed by the Candy Den, Ellen Joyce Candy & Nuts, Sally’s Food Shop 1939 and Cake N Candy Shop 1941. The Cole’s Paint & Wallpaper began here in 1950-1955 before moving down to #12 Main Street and expanding the hardware business. John Grecoe Jewelers moved to this space in September 1955 from #48 just one store south in the ARCO building. Grecoe’s relocated again to 26 Park St where it continued to do business until 2012. Grecoe's is now in Shawsheen Sq. Lena’s Sub Shop opened in the 1970s, Smitty’s Sandwich Shop 1984, Raspberries Sandwich Shop owned by Dana Wilson opened in 1986 then a second shop in July 1993 at Brickstone. Sq. Wilson then closed the Main St. shop and in the 2000’s, relocated to the Andover Spa. Bagette (clothes) 2000-2007, Stitch, a women’s boutique 2008-2009 and The Chic Consignment Closet women’s apparel store in 2009 - 2012 (originally on Essex Street) moved into the large store in 2012. - Fisichelli’s Bakery - 2012
Historical history of the site.
This lot of land was once owned by Mark Newman and purchased by Jacob Shed on November 11, 1818. He paid $380 for 114 square rods of land that extended from the corner of Roger’s Brook on Main Street, east past land of the heirs of Capt. Henry Abbott 27 rods to a wall of Thomas C. Foster, then past Foster’s land and Mark Newman’s land to the Turnpike and then three rods along the road to the first boundary. There is no mention of buildings on the property. Jacob Shed built his home on the northwest corner of the lot facing on Main Street at #36.
A second house in the style of Shed’s house was constructed on this site by Gad Carter, a Tin Plate worker, wife Clarissa. Gad paid Joseph Richardson $200 for the lot, which ran up the middle of Rogers Brook and gave him permission to "put a bridge over the whole of said brook from sd. road, 2 rods up and using it for the accommodation of said building, being the same premises recorded by said Testator in an action March Term CCP. Essex Co, 1845 against John J. Bailey." The property was sold at auction on December 18, 1850 to Thomas Mayberry for $1220. Mayberry, a carpenter, owned the home eleven years.
David Howarth purchased the house from Mayberry on June 12, 1861. Howarth owned an apothecary business and manufacture patent medicines. He began his business in the Nathaniel Swift building at 10 Essex Street then re-located to the Town House in May 1859 where he remained for four years. In June of 1863 he moved his store to the Derby block at #2 Main Street. In November 1866 David Howarth sold half his stock in trade to George H. Parker. The Andover Advertiser May 17, 1867, - The firm of George H. Parker & Co. has been dissolved, David Howarth having retired from the concern, the druggist and fancy goods business will be continued at the old stand on Main Street (#2) under the sole proprietorship of Mr. Parker. Howarth had moved to Lawrence.
On May 5, 1866 Howarth sold his house to John H. Dean. May 11, 1866 AA – David Howarth has sold his house and land on Main Street to John H. Dean for $2750. It is understood that a part of it will be fitted up for a store and tailoring establishment.
June 1, 1866 AA - John H. Dean has enlarged the lower rooms of the house recently purchased on Main Street, by a projection of seven feet in front. Two large bay windows with handsome finish adorn and beautify the building. Half of it will be occupied for a store and tailoring establishment and the other half as a family residence.
July 27, 1866 - John H. Dean has removed to his new store & tailoring establishment on Main Street opposite his old stand, and is prepared to fit his customers to a T.
1852 -1884 Residence
1896 Barber shop; Tailor shop
1926 J H Sochrens Hairdresser, F M Cole Men's Shop
1932 Residence; Peterson's Men's Shop;
Essex County Registry Deeds, Salem, MA
Essex Northern Registry Deeds, Lawrence, MA
Directories: 1926, 1932, 1943, 1953
Maps: 1852, 1872, 1884, 1896, 1906, 1930
Mark Newman - land
Jacob Shed - Nov. 11, 1818 - b. 218 leaf 228 - Salem Deeds
Joseph Richardson -
Gad Carter, wife Clarissa - Jan. 25, 1835 - b. 274 leaf 293 - $200
Gad Carter to Trustees of Phillips Academy - May 27, 1835 - b. 286 leaf 28 mtg. deed - $400
Gad Carter estate, heir wid. Clarissa Carter - Sept. 3, 1836 - Probate
John J. Bailey - Sept. 3, 1836 - b. 299 leaf 72 - $175
Solomon Holt, Executor of Gad Carter estate, Mar. 1845 court ruling from Bailey
Thomas E. Mayberry - Dec. 18, 1850 - b. 438 leaf 230 - $1200
David Howarth - June 12, 1861 - b. 633 leaf 11 - Salem Deeds
John H. Dean - May 5, 1866 - b. 702 leaf 292 - Salem Deeds
John H. Dean estate, Caroline A. & Alice C. Dean
Paul J. Gigis - May 7, 1923 - b. 477 p. 71 - Lawrence Deeds.
Anna Goldberg - July 14, 1936 - b. 599 p. 409
Irving Kaplan - Aug. 1, 1937 - b. 608 p. 548
|Historic District||Not Applicable|
|Historic Name||Goldberg - F. W. Woolworth Building|
|Present Use||Retail / Commercial|
|Original Use||Retail / Commercial|
|Architectural Style||Moderne/Art Deco|
|Foundation||stone and concrete|
|Wall/Trim||stone / brick|
|Setting||commercial business district|
|Map and parcel||39-29|
|Recorded by||James S. Batchelder|
|Organization||Andover Preservation Commission|
|Date entered||April 2014|