Colonial Revival - Classic five bay symmetrical façade, pedimented front porch with Ionic fluted columns and two engaged fluted pilasters on either side of the entrance door.
See 46 Salem Street - Historic Site of Griffin - Hammond House for historic property history.
This home was built in 1924 by Emery J. Trott who developed Stonehedge Rd. and lived in the former Griffin - Hammond Homestead at 46 Salem St. which was razed in 1972. The property was once part of the William Griffin estate in the 1790s and extended down to Highland Rd. and east to Woodland Rd. Emery Trott owned this house and others on Stonehedge Rd until his death in 1967. All the Trott estate was acquired by the Trustees of Phillips Academy on September 20, 1968.
The house served as income property during the Trott ownership. The first tenant on record from 1925 - 1930 was Edward J. & Dorothy E. Sawyer. Edward was b. 1894, a Physician with his practice in Lawrence. They moved to Newton, MA in 1930.
1932 - Mrs. Dorthey H. Reinhart and her daughter Dorothy, who is listed as a student.
1935 - Sidney H. & Mina L. Little - Sidney was a clothing manufacturer
1937-1939 the home is vacant
1941 - George W. & Ethel C. Hinman - retired -
1943 - Patrick J. & Kathleen Flynn - Patrick list as a welder
It appears that the house was converted to a two family home after WWII
1947 - Patrick J. & Kathleen Flynn - Patrick list in Sales
- Ferdinand H. Schwarz - Supervisor and Mary A. Schwarz - retired
1951 - Walter G. & Ella O. Greenall - Walter is Office manager at Phillips Academy
- Robert & Patricia Johnson - Chemical engineer
1953 - Robert & Patricia Johnson - Chemical engineer
- Edward A. & Carrol Waller - emp at M. T. Steven's mill
1961 - Richard & Frances C. Everett 3nd - Asst. Purchasing Agent
- Robert W. & Beverly S. Hanscom - Raytheon
1965 - Ira E. & Dorothy O. Over - Mathematician
- Raymond C. & Louise Richardson - Sales Engineer
1968 - Sale of property to Phillips Academy
1971 - Jack R. & Barbara Harris - both teachers
- Arthur J. & Marjorie M. Smith and daughter Gayle - Arthur listed as Carpenter.
The home serves as faculty housing for over 50 years.
Essex County Registry Deeds, Salem MA
Essex Northern Registry Deeds, Lawrence MA
Andover Town Resident Directories
1906 and 1926 Map of Andover
William Griffin – 1790’s
William Griffin estate - died May 24, 1830 age 64 son of Wm.
Betsey Town heir – Aug. 1830 – land n. side of Salem St. abt. 16 acres w/blds.
Ezra Hammond, (wife Betsey Town) of Paris, Maine.
Wm. and George Hammond from Henry – Dec. 7, 1850 -
George F. Hammond, wife Julia – May 1, 1857 – b. 553 leaf 165 - $850 w/blds
William G. Hammond – May 1, 1857 – b. 553 leaf 164 - $1000
William Hammond – May 15, 1862 rec. 6/30/1863 – b. 653 leaf 199 - $1000
William G. Hammond – Aug. 24, 1889 – b. 102 p. 563 – dis. Charged mtg. – 12 acres
William W. Cropley – Aug. 18, 1889 – b. 102 p. 564 – 9 acers enclosed w/blds. $6500
Frank D. Somers, wife Harriet P. – May 26, 1905 – b. 220 p. 193 – 3 parcels
Samuel B. Hulme - Oct. 2, 1919 - b. 408 p. 258 –
Mabel J. Trott, wife of Emery E. - Oct. 3, 1919 - b. 459 p. 395
Emery J. Trott, wife Emma D. - Dec. 23, 1929 - b. 550 p. 398
Emery J. Trott, wife Emma D - July 13, 1944 - b. 665 p. 175 - 19,000 sq. ft.
Emery J. Trott Estate, Theodore Hollander, Extr. - Dec. 19, 1967 - Probate #294,306
Trustees of Phillips Academy - Sept. 20, 1968 - b. 1115 p. 65
|Historic District||Academy Hill NRH District|
|Historic Name||"Hearsey House" by Phillips Academy|
|Present Use||faculty house|
|Source||ECRDS, ENRDL, style-njs|
|Architectural Style||Colonial Revival|
|Architect/Builder||Emery J. Trott / builder|
|Foundation||stone & granite|
|Map and parcel||41-28|
|Recorded by||Stack/Mofford, James S. Batchelder|
|Organization||Andover Preservation Commission|
|Date entered||1975-1977, 2/1/2022|