Style: Picturesque - Queen Anne
Other features: excellent detailing, especially in gable and eaves
Themes: Architectural, Community development
William Abbott of Andover & Lucretia Wilder of Charlestown, MA sold off two parcels of land to Charles Greene on May 17, 1898. This parcel contained 14 acres 120 sq. rods at that time. The second parcel was located on Center St. Greene then sold to James Schofield of Lawrence, MA on Jan.17, 1901. It appears that Scholfield may have built the home in 1901 but the 1910 Andover Valuation schedule lists Herbert Clark in the South District - House $600, 14 acres Pole Hill $350. and 1 acre Simmons $25.
Herbert Clarke was a carpenter, lived on Oak Street in 1901, and is said to have built the house. Herbert B. Clarke was born in Oct. 1861 in England. He immigrated to the US in 1874. Herbert married in 1888 to Emma Laura Burnap b. Mar. 28, 1863 in Lawrence, MA. Herbert & Emma L had three children; two sons, Clinton B. b. April 1890 in Illinois and Wesley J. b. July 30, 1894 in Lawrence, MA. A daughter Gertrude Louise was born Mar. 19, 1905. Wesley worked for his father prior to enlisting in the Army in WWI. He later bought the house from James Scholfield on Feb. 6, 1925 which included 14 acres 120 rods. His parents moved to California. Wesley held the property for five years then selling to Marguerite S. Greenwood, wife of Ralph. Wesley moved to 111 Chestnut St. in Andover.
Greenwood purchased the property on Mar. 1, 1930 and would own for 26 years. Greenwood then sold to Robert O. & Mary L. Hahn on Aug. 3, 1956.
Edward J. Leary purchased the place on Mar. 21, 1960. This period was when route 93 was completed through Andover. Jeremiah B. Cronin & Timothy F. Cronin purchased the property on Nov. 17, 1969. The deed was later purchased by Jeremiah B. Cronin and John J. Cronin in July1973. They owned the construction business J. J. Cronin Co.
Leary and the Cronins rented the house during their ownership.
T. D. J. Development Corp. owner Anaslasios Kalogianis purchased the 14 acre parcel and house on Nov. 9, 1979. In April 1982 the property was sub-divided into Waterford Place - Pole Hill Drive containing 14 house lots and the original house lot #1. See plan #8906.
Essex County Registry Deeds, Salem, MA
Essex Northern Registry Deeds, Lawrence, MA
Map Plan #8906 - Apr. 7, 1982 - Pole Hill Drive - Waterford Place Sub-division
William Abbott of Andover & Lucretia Wilder - 1898
Charles Greene, wife Hannah - May 17, 1898 - rec. Jan. 1901 - b. 183 p. 49 - two parcels
James Schofield, wife Elnora Louisa - Jan. 17, 1901 - b. 183 p. 52 - 14 acres 120 rds.
Wesley J. Clark - Feb. 6, 1925 - b. 509 p. 409
Marguerite S. Greenwood, wife of Ralph - Mar. 1, 1930 - b. 551 p. 64
Robert O. & Mary L. Hahn - Aug. 3, 1956 - b. 838 p. 283
Edward J. Leary - Mar. 21, 1960 - b. 912 p. 83
Jeremiah B. Cronin & Timothy F. Cronin - Nov. 17, 1969 - b. 1144 p. 89
Jeremiah B. Cronin & John J. Cronin, J. J. Cronin Co. - July 31, 1973 - b. 1224 p. 181
T. D. J. Development Corp. - Anaslasios Kalogianis - Nov. 9, 1979 - b. 1404 p. 4
Miriam Matos and Gil Eugene Matos - 1995 - 2002
Steven D. Salhanick & Elise E. Saks - 2002 - 2007
John R. & Holly C. Reil - 2007 - 2008
Kenneth & Marsha L. Curdio - Apr. 28, 2008 - b. 11156 p. 80
1962 - 1979 - Edward J. & Julia T. Huot
1980 - -
1981 - Michael T. & Diane Palmer
1983 - vacant
|Historic District||Ballardvale Local Historic District|
|Historic District||Ballardvale National Register District|
|Historic Name||Herbert & Emma Clarke House|
|Source||ECRDS, ENRDL, style-njs|
|Architectural Style||Queen Anne|
|Roof||asphalt - gable|
|Acreage||0.535 acre; lot size: 3.6 acres; approx. frontage: 125'|
|Map and parcel||157-80|
|Recorded by||Stack/Mofford, James S. Batchelder|
|Organization||Andover Preservation Commission|
|Date entered||1975 - 1977, 8/12/2016|