This large gable roofed building was built to manufacture and paint carriages.It measured 40 ft. wide and 75 ft. long, about the standard size of a barn at that time, The truss roof construction allowed for one large unobstructed room on the second floor. The 73 windows brought natural light into the working spaces. Electricity did not arrive in Andover until 1889. This style of commercial building was a common design along Park St. and other parts of town. A long ramp at the rear of the building to the second floor allowed wagons and carriages to the pulled up and lowered into the workshop. The building was later used to built caskets for Parker's Undertaker business.
The land that is now occupied by the municipal parking lot, east of Bartlet St. and including Park St. Village and the Bank property at 69 Park St. was once owned by Hannah W. Foster, wife of Joseph W. Foster. Foster divided the parcel into several lots selling of the parcels for business and residences. This parcel was sold to Catherine H. Parker, wife of Charles S. Parker on July 22, 1874 for $500.
July 24, 1874 AA – Charles S. Parker has purchased of Joseph W. Foster half an acre of land on the south side of Park St. It measures 115 feet on the street. Mr. Parker will immediately build upon it a two story paint shop 75 X 40 feet.
Oct. 9, 1874 AA – The frame of the new wooden building of Charles S. Parker, on Park Street, has been raised and boarded. It is 75 feet long 40 feet wide with a truss roof and 73 windows. It is one of the largest buildings in the place, and will furnish ample accommodations for an extensive carriage manufactory, for which it is understood to be designed…..
Dec. 18, 1874 AA – Charles S. Parker has commenced the painting business at his new and commodious shop on Park Street.
Charles Parker bought out the Undertaker business of James M. Crabtee in April 1876.
April 14, 1876 - AA - James M. Crabtree, undertaker, has sold out to Charles S. Parker. Mr. Parker is favorable known in this community, and is well adapted to do the business he has undertaken. We have no doubt that his service will prove entirely satisfactory to those who have occasion to employ him.
The following week Mr. Crabtree returned home to England. He was an Undertaker in Andover for several years.
Aug. 11, 1893 AT – Retires from Business – Charles S. Parker undertaker – sold to Frank H. Messer of Stoneham – In business for 17 years – bought from James Crabtree.
Oct. 13, 1893 AT P4 - Obit. Charles S. Parker – at his home on Elm St. 67 years – early trade as a painter, then carriage painting business and for several years in charge of painting at the B & M railroad machine shops. About 17 years ago he purchased undertaking business of James Crabtree. – buried at South Church Cemetery.
Alfred M. Colby, wife Margaret R. purchased the property on Mar. 13, 1913 from the Parker family. The 1920 Andover Valuation schedule lists Alfred M. Colby of 37 High St. with a Shop and Storehouse on Park St. $3000, 1/2 acre of land $2500. The property at 37 High St. is in his wife Margaret's name. and contains two houses, $3000, and the one to the rear $2200. a hen house $50 and 2/5 of an acre $1500.
Charles S. Buchan purchased the building on Mar. 1, 1929 from the Andover National Bank. Charles Buchan had worked for several years as an upholster for Henry P. Noyes in his furniture shop in the Howell Block. In Oct. 1900 he left and entered into the employment of Alfred Kaiser who had his shop in the second floor of the Carter Block at 5 Main St. (Now the Bridal Shop, formerly McCartney's and Kaps)
Oct. 16, 1931 – AT - C.S. Buchan – Furniture & Upholstering – 43 Park Street - (Charles S. Buchan)
Andover National Bank held the mortgage and took the property on Apr. 27, 1936. It was sold a year later to Joseph W. Robinson, Harry R. Dow, Jr., and Albert Hill, business partners in Lawrence and Methuen, bought the property on Apr. 7, 1937. The large modern front display entrance was added to the building during the Robinson ownership, as display showroom and automobile service station which opened in 1938.
Jan. 6, 1955 –AT p.9 Advert. - J. W. Robinson Co. 43-45 – Park St. Dodge Auto dealership.
The building was overhauled in 1955 and converted into a supermarket. Johnny's Supermarket opened in November 1955.
Nov. 17, 1955 AT - Johnny’s Supermarket opens at 43 Park Street. photos of exterior & interior.
Dec 15, 1955 p. 7 - Johnny’s Supermarket 43 Park Street photos of interior.
Dec. 3, 1963 - Johnny’s Supermarket – Park Street.
The Essex Savings Bank held the mortgage deed and took possession on Sept. 15, 1964. The property was then sold to Daniel Rothenberg of Newton on Nov. 17, 1964.
43 - 45 Park St – Johnny’s Super Market lot – 115’ on Park St.
Joseph W. & Hannah W. Foster – 1874
Catherine H. Parker, wife of Charles S. – July 22, 1874 – b. 29 p. 71 - $500 lot
Florence A. Parker – Sept. 12, 1887 – b. 94 p. 94 – 2nd parcel
Alfred M. Colby, wife Margaret R. – Mar. 13, 1913 – b. 327 p. 404
Irene E. Colby, wife of Lawrence W. – Dec. 23, 1920 – b. 435 p. 363
Irene E. Colby to Andover Savings Bank – Dec. 23, 1920 – b. 435 p. 363 mtg.
Andover National Bank – Jan. 3, 1928 – b. 538 p. 366 – buy Mtg. - $6386.
Charles S. Buchan – Mar. 1, 1929 – b. 545 p. 240
Charles S. Buchan & Andover National Bank – Mar. 1, 1929 – b.545 p. 241- mtg. $9000
Andover National Bank – Apr. 27, 1936 – b. 597 p. 478 – mtg. deed
Joseph W. Robinson, Harry R. Dow, Jr., Albert Hill – Apr. 7, 1937 – b. 606 p. 161
J. W. Robinson Co. of Lawrence – Apr. 11, 1946 – b. 683 p. 184 – parcel 3 (p. 185)
J. W. Robinson Co. of Andover – June 27, 1957 – b. 858 p. 449
J. W. Robinson Co. of Lawrence – Mar. 16, 1959 – b. 890 p. 89
Johnnie’s Super Markets, Inc. - Mar. 16, 1959 – b. 890 p. 90
Essex Savings Bank – Sept. 15, 1964 – b. 1019 p. 305 – mtg. deed sale
Daniel Rothenberg of Newton – Nov. 17, 1964 – b. 1022 p. 17 - 19
Daniel Rothenberg of Newton – Nov. 17, 1964 – Ctf. 5615 - parcel #2
Purity Realty Trust, Leo Kahn & Albert Kahn Tr. – July 6, 1965 – b. 1037 p. 95 lot #2 of 4
Mercado Realty Trust, Leo Kahn – Feb. 24, 1971 –
Carlos M. Barcelos – Jan. 24, 1983 – b. 1641 p. 25 – Ctf. #5719 lot #1
Bartlett Realty Trust, Robert A. Finlayson – Jan. 26, 1983 – b. 1641 p. 33 – Ctf. #9125
Inhabitants of Town of Andover – Feb. 1, 1984 – Ctf. 9363 - $950,000.
|Place||Andover Center District|
|Historic District||Not Applicable|
|Present Use||Municipal Parking lot|
|Original Use||Carriage manufacturing & Paint shop|
|Source||ECRDS, ENRDL, style-njs|
|Architectural Style||Greek Revival|
|Roof||asphalt - gable|
|Major Alterations||Building adapted over the years for different business - 1955 conversion to Supermarket|
|Demolition Details||about 1965|
|Map and parcel||39-2|
|Recorded by||James S. Batchelder|
|Organization||Andover Preservation Commission|
|Date entered||June 17, 2017|