Queen Anne/Shingle/Colonial Revival
Brick cols.; wood rafters; 3 fireplaces
Themes: architectural, community development
This land once belonged to John Abbot and was sold to Oliver H. Perry on Oct. 21, 1855 who had purchased the Coggswell house at 68 Phillips St. This six acre parcel ran south along the west side Abbot St. from the corner of Phillips St. At this time it was referred to as the road to Wilmington and Boston. It was later named Woburn St. beginning at Phillips St and continued all the way to the Wilmington line. About 1904 the east end of Woburn St was renamed extending Abbot St. to Porter Rd.
With the death of Oliver Perry his wife Mary Ann Perry inherited the estate and then sold to Lyman A. Belknap of Boston on June 10, 1879. The estate contained four parcels of land and the Coggswell house. This property was a portion of the first parcel of 6 acres mentioned in the deed to Belknap.
Belknap then began to develop the vacant property along Abbot Street dividing up house lots. According to Andover Townsman, this section of Abbot Street appears to have been developed around summer 1890. "This promises to be one of the most attractive parts of Andover" - "several new houses to be erected here this summer."
This lot was sold to Mary A. Roberts. The house built by contractor Charles Berry Mason for Mrs. Mary A. Roberts and daughter Miss Kate Roberts, (MS/S/433, pg. 36); In daughter Kate's obituary, this house is called "Little Red House" (Dec. 22, 1904)
July 5, 1889 AT p1. C. B. Mason is to build a house for Lieut. Wadhams, U. S. N. on Woburn St., upon the lot adjoining his own. This house, which is to have all the modern improvements is the third which Mr. Mason has built from the designs of the New York Co-operative Building Plan Association. He begins work at once. Mrs. Robert’s house close by in nearly complete outside, and is being plastered.
In the 1910 census the house is rented to Susan C. Dove, widow of George W.W. Dove. Susan & George had built their new home at 24 Phillips St. in 1895. George Dove died on Oct. 24, 1908 and on Jan 4, 1909 Susan sold their home and moved here with her companion and two servants. Susan would later purchased the home at 286 South Main St. in 1913 next to her son Percival Dove at 290 So. Main. Susan died the following year on June 14, 1914.
Directory information at 43 Abbot:
1897 - Kate Roberts
1901-2 - Roberts
1908 - no Roberts
1926 - 43 - J. L. Toohey (James & Katherine) auto dealer
1945 - vacant (Tooheys at 111 Main St.)
1947 - Pratt, T. Dennie & (Eliz.) phys - 21 Main St.
1955 - 60 - McEvoy, John R. & Eileen (dentist)
Essex Northern Registry Deeds, Lawrence, MA
Andover Townsman, May 9, 1890, p.1
Andover Preservation Award, Certificate for Exterior Preservation, May 1, 1994
Lyman Belknap - June 13, 1879 - b. 56 p. 367 - parcel 1 of four.
Susanna E. Jackson - April 8, 1889 - b. 100 p. 53 - land
Edwards Roberts - Dec. 15, 1890 b. 110 p. 46 - land
Mary A. Roberts - - Dec. 15, 1890 b. 110 p. 46
Mary A. Roberts estate, Henry M. Spelman, Trustee - Dec. 19, 1888 - b. 98 p. 437
Mary A. Roberts died Feb. 13, 1893 - testate
Katherine Egan Toohey, hus. James L. Toohey - July 1, 1925 - b. 513 p. 104
Katherine Egan Toohey estate, James L. Toohey - Probate #208266
Elizabeth K. Pratt - Dec. 17, 1945 - b. 680 p. 12
John R. & Eileen McEvoy - Aug. 11, 1954 - b. 799 p. 131
Charles X. & Margaret B. Larrabee - Dec. 1 1960 - b. 928 p. 494
William & Emily C. Cook - June 24, 1963 - b. 988 p. 176
Ann B. Gass - Dec. 28, 1914 - b. 1025 p. 261
Frank & Janet Shipman Arena - June 29, 1977 - b. 1312 p. 248
Martin & Diane M. Klein - April 30, 1984 - b. 1801 p. 332
Diane M. Kline - Feb. 8, 1989 - b.
Michael J. & Wendy Cole - Aug. 28, 1992 - b. 3533 p. 226
|Historic District||Not Applicable|
|Historic Name||Roberts House|
|Architectural Style||Queen Anne|
|Architect/Builder||Charles Berry Mason|
|Foundation||brick or stone/cobblestone|
|Outbuildings / Secondary Structures||attached Garage and wing added in 1990's - Architect - Jane Griswold|
|Acreage||0.884 acre; 38,500 sq. ft.; approx. frontage 110' - 40' - 122'|
|Map and parcel||74-18|
|Recorded by||Stack/Mofford, James Batchelder|
|Organization||Andover Preservation Commission|
|Date entered||1975-77/1994, Dec. 2014|