44 Enmore Street

Architectural Description: 

Neo-Colonial Revival - Garrison Colonial

Historical Narrative: 

Shawsheen Village was named after the Native American name for the river Shawshin, which means Great Spring. Prior to Shawsheen Village this area was known as Frye Village. All the streets in the Village were named for Castles & Cathedrals in Great Britain. Enmore Street takes its name from Enmore Castle, an historic building in the village of Enmore, Somerset, England.

This home was not built as part of the Shawsheen Village development from 1918-1924 by William M. Wood, President of the American Woolen Company.
The lot remain vacant until 1972 when the current home was built.

After the death of William M. Wood on Feb. 2, 1926 most of the residential and commercial buildings were then sold. Some were held by the Wood family in the "Arden Trust" and others with the American Woolen Company, which had been deeded the property in December 1920. The A.W.Co. Board of Directors authorized its President, Lionel J. Noah, to deliver all deeds, as deemed necessary to the Textile Realty Co. for sale on Dec. 29, 1931.

The Textile Realty then transferred ownership to the Andover Shawsheen Realty Company on June 30, 1932, holding the mortgage on the properties. T. Edwin Andrew, treasurer, of ASRCo. was authorized to sell or lease the properties. With the Great Depression sales were sluggish and many homes were rented until the economy rebounded. This house lot was transferred to T. E. Andrew Realty Trust on Dec. 20, 1962 parcel 3-C - 1.33 acres. Then sold to T. E. Andrew Realty Trust on Dec. 31, 1962.

Donald I & Barbara L. Richmond, a developer of residential and rental properties in Andover purchased the lot on June 4, 1965. Richmond also developed Rock O Dundee Rd off Burnham Road. The parcel was created from that development and annexed from the Enmore lot to create access to an otherwise land locked parcel. The home was built in late 1972 and sold to Harriet G. Palmieri on May 4, 1973. The Palmieri family own the home at 40 Enmore. Their son Edward J. & Audrey C. Palmieri would then purchase it on Apr. 9, 1980.

The house, although not historic, is built in the Shawsheen Village National Register Historic District, surveyed in 1977 and created in 1979. It was designated a National Register Historic District in 1980 by the Massachusetts Historical Commission, of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts.


Essex County Registry Deeds, Salem, MA
Essex Northern Registry Deeds, Lawrence, MA
Andover Maps, 1852, 1872, 1888, 1906, 1926
Andover Street Directories
Andover Townsman
Mills, Mergers and Mansions, by Edward Roddy 1982
See Map plan #704 - American Woolen Company - Sept. 1927
#877 - June 1932 - Textile Realty Company lot #6 - ET 3-C
#975 - Oct. 29, 1921 - Dufton to AWCo.
#5715 - June 21, 1967
#6406 - May 26, 1971 - "Burnham Wood" - Rock O Dundee Rd.

George C. H. Dufton, wife Susanna - 1921 - 18 acres-
American Woolen Company, Wm. M. Wood Pres. – October 29, 1921 – b. 470 p. 341 – 18 acres
Textile Realty Co., Lionel J. Noah, Pres. A.W.Co. - Dec. 30, 1931 - b. 563 p. 351
Andover Shawsheen Realty Co. - June. 30, 1932 - b. 565 p. 87 - 6th parcel
T. E. Andrew Realty Trust - Dec. 20, 1962 - b. 975 p. 469 - 3-C - 1.33 acres
T. E. Andrew Realty Trust - Dec. 31, 1962 - b. 976 p. 662
Donald I & Barbara L. Richmond - June 4, 1965 - b. 1035 p. 95
Harriet G. Palmieri - May 4, 1973 - b. 1217 p. 406
Edward J. & Audrey C. Palmieri - Apr. 9, 1980 - b. 300
Audrey C. Palmieri - Aug. 13, 1990 - b. 3147 p. 28

Inventory Data:

StreetEnmore St
PlaceShawsheen Village - Frye Village
Historic DistrictShawsheen Village NRH District
Present Useresidence
Original Useresidence
Construction Date1972 - 1973
SourceERDS, ENRDL, assessers' rec./style-njs
Wall/Trimclapboard/wood/vinyl covered
Roofasphalt - gable
Acreage1.35 acres
Map and parcel19-28
Recorded byStack/Mofford, James Batchelder
OrganizationAndover Preservation Commission
Date entered1975 - 1977, 8/17/2015