Queen Anne style, asymmetrical facade, mixed used of clapboards and cedar shingles. Fish scale pattern in gables.
This property was once part of the two acre parcel of George R. Waterman’s property at 41-43 High St. (the brick residence of the adjoining property to the rear) Waterman worked for the Pacific Mills in Lawrence and after his death the property was inherited by his widow Lucretia. This lot was “staked out” in 1890 and sold to Annie L. Bell on Oct. 30, 1890. It was originally numbered #24 Maple Ave and in 1928 re-numbered #44.
Annie Laurie Bell was born on August 15, 1860 in Andover, dau. of Robert & Mary Ann (Russell) Bell. Her father Robert, a carpenter, was born Jan. 1829 in Cumberland, England, married Dec. 9, 1856 in Andover to Mary Ann Russell b. Nov. 28, 1830 in Bradford, MA dau. of John G. & Hannah (Kimball) Russell. Robert served in Company H. 1st Mass. Heavy Artillery during the Civil War and was a member of GAR Post 99. In later years he was the janitor at Town Hall. Annie with her parents lived in the home. Annie is listed as a rubber worker in 1880 and a Dressmaker in the 1900 Census. Her mother Mary died on March 24, 1900 age 69 of bronchitis. Her father Robert died on Dec. 11, 1907 age 77y 11m 2d of heart disease. 1910 Census has Annie in the home by herself. Annie died on Dec. 26, 1910. They are interred at Christ Church Cemetery.
The Bell property was sold to Martin R. Sawyer on April 24, 1911. Martin R. Sawyer was born in December 1852 in Porter, Maine, son of Thomas B. & Lydia Sawyer. He was a machinist when he married on April 14, 1877 in Pembrooke, NH to Martha A. Wainwright born April 10, 1854 in Exeter, NH. They had three children; Altia Bell b. 1877- d. Jan 17, 1879, Lydia v. June 1880 and Ralph b. Oct. 1889. They settled in Lawrence, MA and Martin worked for Walworth Brothers, Inc. in that city. They were empty nesters when they purchased this home. Martin sub-divided his lot in 1913 selling off the north yard to the Hudson with a provision that he could harvest his crop from his garden before construction began. Martin retired in 1931 and they sold on May 11, 1934 to Fred E. & Bessie E. Raitt. Raitt owned just five years then selling to L. Evelyn Parker on Oct. 31, 1939.
Laura Evelyn Parker is remembered as a Mathematics teacher at Andover Jr. High. Known as Evelyn by her colleagues, she was born Nov. 8, 1903 in Missouri, daughter of George Warren & Alice D. (Whittier) Parker. She was one of four children and grew up in Concord, NH. Evelyn graduated from Keene Normal School and was elected in 1927 as a Physical Training teacher at Stowe School in Andover. She got her Masters degree in Mathematics at Boston University in 1935 and moved over to the new junior high in 1936 teaching Math. Evelyn became head of the department in 1958 and retired in 1964 after a 37 year career. To students she was quietly known as “Ma Parker”. Evelyn died on Sept. 11, 1992 and is interred in Blossom Hill Cemetery in Concord, NH. Evelyn owned this home for 53 years.
Essex County Registry Deeds, Salem, MA
Essex Northern Registry Deeds, Lawrence, MA
Ancestry.com Bell, Sawyer & Parker families
Andover Townsman & Andover Advertiser
Andover maps, 1882, 1888, 1906
44 Maple Ave (formerly #24) 38-154
George R. Waterman - June 3, 1874 b. 29 p. 7 - $8000 (41-43 High St)
Pacific Mills of Lawrence - Sept. 26, 1877 -b. 48 p. 420
Lucretia R. Waterman - Nov. 24, 1877 - b. 49 p. 266
James S. & Sarah E. Dennison -Jun. 14, 1893 - b. 126 p.180 - High St.
Lucretia R. Waterman – July 31, 1890 – b. 107 p. 200 - partial release
Annie L. Bell – Oct. 30, 1890 – b. 108 p. 40 - lot on Maple Ave
Annie L. Bell – Sept. 23, 1896 – b. 150 p. 140
Annie L. Bell estate, died Dec. 26, 1910 - Margaret I. Middleton, Adm. Probate
Martin R. Sawyer, wife Martha A – Apr. 24, 1911 – b. 304 p. 518
Martin R. Sawyer – Sept. 22, 1937 – b. 6010 p. 112
Fred E. & Bessie Edith Raitt – May 11, 1934 – b. 578 p. 252
L. Evelyn Parker – Oct. 31, 1939 – b. 626 p. 241
L. Evelyn Parker estate, John J. Cronin Extr. –
Jane B. Baldwin – April 29, 1993 – b. 3715 p. 239
|Place||Andover Center District|
|Historic District||Andover Historic Building Survey|
|Historic Name||Annie L. Bell House|
|Construction Date||1890 - 1892|
|Source||ERDS, NERDL, style,|
|Architectural Style||Queen Anne|
|Foundation||stone & granite|
|Wall/Trim||clapboards/wood shingles/vinyl covered|
|Major Alterations||replacement windows and front door, vinyl siding covers original door surround trim and wood clapboards|
|Map and parcel||38-154|
|Recorded by||W. Frontiero, James S. Batchelder|
|Organization||Andover Preservation Commission|
|Date entered||28 Feb 1980, 11/1/2019|