Commercial office building, Colonial style elements, dentil work, divided windows. Gambrel roof, dormer windows.
This site is fondly remembered by residents as Krinsky's Junk Yard which occupied this site for many years. The tidy organized scrap metal yard was a favorite spot to look for replacement heating radiators, interesting metal objects for art and sculpture projects. Morris Krinski, was always on hand with a smile and a story to tell. His father Hyman Krinsky purchased the property in March 1949. Hyman was into the recycling business much earlier as he advertised in the local paper prior to WWI. After his death son Morris inherited the business. Morris left no heirs, and the property was will to the United Jewish Appeal Inc. in 1997.
The property was then sold in Feb. 1998 to the Park Street Group, LLC. The old barn and sheds were demolished, and the new professional office building replaced the yard.
Park Street was constructed in 1872 and almost immediately after work began local residents purchasing lots along the street. Most business then were related to the, livery, blacksmiths, wagon building and repair and stables housing horses for hire and boarding. This lot was once part of the Elm House Hotel stables and may have been an open pasture for grazing.
Florence Street was constructed in 1885. The south end portion (Park St.) of two acres and 28,045 sq. ft. was owned by Hannah W. Foster, wife of Joseph W. Foster. Hannah sold the parcel to William Wood, a carpenter for $1900 on March 13, 1883. Wood built his home at 66 Park St. and house lots extended on both sides up to #21 and #24. The north end portion (Elm St.) on the east side was the former Moses Abbot Jr. homestead at #49 Elm St. Owned by his son George T. Abbott, also a House-wright, who was partners with William S. Jenkins in the firm Abbott & Jenkins. The Abbot parcel extended to #20 Florence. St. The west side of Florence St. from Elm St. to #17 was owned by the Henry Burtt estate formerly at #35-#37 Elm St.
Oct. 2, 1885 Andover Advertiser - pg. 2 col. 9, “The new way between Park and Elm has been completed by Nathan F. Abbott, the contractor, and accepted by the Selectman. Several names have been suggested……”
House lots were then created and sold to a variety of residents. William Wood sold off four lots to Charles O. Stevens, wife Abbie on Mar. 22, 1886. Stevens took a loan from the Andover Savings Bank on Mar. 19, 1887 but was declared insolvent a few months later on May 8, 1887. The bank then sold the mortgage to Andover Dentist Charles H. Gilbert on July 11, 1887 for $400. The bank then sold the mortgage to Andover dentist Charles H. Gilbert on July 11, 1887 for $400. Gilbert then sold off the corner lot at Park & Florence Streets to John Cornell on Aug. 13, 1887.
The lot extended down Park St . 168 ft. and included the land occupied by the business block at 44 Park St. formerly the Krinsky Junk Yard. John Cornell was a Wood & Coal for heating dealer and he owned two other properties on Park St. Cornell was a highly respected citizen in town. John died in 1892 and his estate went to his niece Eliza Gleason, wife of Frank E. Gleason on Mar. 22, 1893. Eliza deeded the property over to Frank who took over Cornell's business. Gleason sold off the east end of the property on the corner of Florence & Park St. creating a 50' x 100' lot to Ira Buxton and Walter Coleman. Ira sold his share of the property to Coleman on Nov. 15, 1912 just 15 months after then had purchased. The deed was not recorded until May 10, 1920.
Walter H. Coleman sold the lot to Edwina M. Miller, wife of Henry E. Miller on May 10, 1920. Henry Miller was the owner of Miller's Shoe store on Main St. They lived at 12 Florence St. in the Hannon house which they would later purchase. The Miller's built the two family house at 33 Florence St in 1921. A large four stall garage fronted on Park Street.
Miller owned the property for 37 years then selling to Hyman Krinsky on June 1, 1957.
Hyman Krinsky b. 1890, was a junk dealer and had his salvage yard on the adjoining lot on Park St. now #44. After his death, his son Morris b. 1916 carried on the business. They lived at 41 Elm St then moved to this home after he purchased. With the death of Morris Krinsky the estate went to the Temple Emanuel. The parishioners sold the property and all the buildings. The house and all adjoining buildings were razed in late 1996 / 1997 to make way for the new business block.
Once listed as #56 Park
1910 - wagon shop, carpenter's stable
1906 F.E. Gleason
1926 - Dir. Holden Bros., carpenters in 48r
Essex County Registry Deeds, Salem, MA
Essex Northern Registry Deeds, Lawrence, MA
Hannah W. Foster, wife of Joseph W. - 1883 - 2 acres + land
William Wood - Mar. 13, 1883 - b. 71 p. 252 - 2 acres + land
Charles O. Stevens, wife Abbie - Mar. 22, 1886 - b. 85 p. 186 - 4 lots
Charles O Stevens, mtg. Andover Savings Bank - Mar. 19, 1887 - b. 90 p. 1
Charles O Stevens insolvency - May 8, 1887
Charles H. Gilbert - July 11, 1887 - b. 91 p. 291 - assignee - $400.
John Cornell - Aug. 17, 1887 - b. 92 p. 154
John Cornell estate, Mary E. (blood) Gleason Extr. 1893
Eliza Gleason - Mar. 22, 1893 - b. 124 p. 378
Frank E. Gleason - Mar. 22, 1893 - b. 124 p. 381
Joseph W. McNally - Aug. 30, 1937 - b. 610 p. 597
Hyman Krinsky - Mar. 26, 1949 - b. 721 p. 273
Hyman Krinsky estate - 1984 Max Goldstein, Arthur I Moger, Extrs & Trust.
Morris Krinsky - Oct. 3, 1984 - b. 2001 p. 175 inherited
Morris Krinsky estate, United Jewish Appeal Inc. Probate #96P0791-P1
Park Street Group LLC - Feb. 2, 1998 - b. 4953 p. 115
33 Florence St.
Frank E. Gleason - Mar. 22, 1893 - b. 124 p. 381 - both above and this lot
Ira Buxton & Walter Coleman - June 22, 1911 - b. 306 p. 89 - house lot
Walter H. Coleman - Nov. 15, 1912 rec. May 10, 1920 - b. 422 p. 585
Edwina M. Miller, wife of Henry E. - May 10, 1920 - b. 421 p. 518 - lot
Hyman Krinsky - June 1, 1957 - b. 855 p. 496 - Trust deed1926 - Gleason at #48
|Historic District||Not Applicable|
|Present Use||Professional offices/apartments|
|Original Use||Livery barn|
|Roof||asphalt - gable|
|Demolition Details||former barn Krinsky's salvage yard razed1997|
|Map and parcel||39-9|
|Recorded by||Barbara Thibault, J. Batchelder|
|Organization||Andover Historical Society - Andover Preservation Commission|
|Date entered||11/1987, Jan. 2015|