Shawsheen Village was named after the Native American name for the river Shawshin, which means Great Spring. Prior to Shawsheen Village this area was known as Frye Village. Most of the streets in the new Village were named for Castles & Cathedrals in Great Britain. Union Street however pre-dates Shawsheen Village. It was once referred to as the “low road to Lawrence from Frye Village. Union St. and North Main were both open to two way traffic prior to the construction of Route 495 in 1962.
This home was built as part of the Shawsheen Village development from 1918-1924 by William M. Wood, President of the American Woolen Company. Wood hired about eight different architects to design the homes and structures for the village. Homes were leased through the Homestead Association with offices in the Post Office building in Shawsheen Square, later moved into the Administration Building.
Each home incorporated a different look, style and design modifications, most noticeable with the front door entrances. Decorative details on the corner boards and a variety of ornamental trellises, window boxes all added the “icing on the cake, of the original designs. Most of the homes now sport a variety of different colors, no longer all white with green shutters as dictated in the original deeds. Many of the original screen porches have been enclosed for an additional room. Wood also incorporated two family duplexes in every section of the new Village.
After the death of William M. Wood on Feb. 2, 1926 most of the residential and commercial buildings were then sold. Some were held by the Wood family in the "Arden Trust" and others with the American Woolen Company. The AWCo. Board of Directors authorized its President, Lionel J. Noah, to deliver all deeds, as deemed necessary to the Textile Realty Co. for sale on Dec. 29, 1931.
The Textile Realty then transferred ownership to the Andover Shawsheen Realty Company on June 30, 1932, holding the mortgage on the properties. T. Edwin Andrew, treasurer, was authorized to sell or lease the properties. With the Great Depression sales were sluggish and many homes were rented until the economy rebounded.
The numbering of this home is confusing as the apartment numbers have been reversed. The same is true for #49 Union which in 1926 was #41. Numbering properties usually increase as one moves out from the town center with odd numbers on the right and even on the left. In 1943 #41 is now #49 while the order of this home remained 45 then 47. One of the first occupants of record to lease these apartments in 1926 were, James & Annie B. Benvie in #45, now #47. James work at Tyer Rubber Co. in Andover. In #47 now #45 is Nelson & Helen F. Pratt. Nelson was an electrician and most likely employed by AWCo.
This house was sold to Harry A. & Olive Wright - July 19, 1941. In 1943 Harry A. is employed with General Electric in Lynn, MA. Harry & Olive live in #45. At #47 Union is Walter N. & Katherine M. Gordon. Walter works as a time keeper for the State maintenance.
Essex County Registry Deeds, Salem, MA
Essex Northern Registry Deeds, Lawrence, MA
Andover Maps, 1852, 1872, 1888, 1906, 1926
Andover Street Directories
Mills, Mergers and Mansions, by Edward Roddy 1982
See Map plan #876 – June 1932 – Textile Realty Co -Lot #30
Map #1050 – March 1937 – amended map #876 for narrowing streets
Sylvester Smith estate, of Worcester, MA
J. Walter Smith of Worcester, MA
Cleora L. Sumner, Trustee -
Henry P. Binney, Trustee of AWCo. - July 30, 1909 - b. 277 p. 314
American Woolen Co. Dec. 30, 1920 - b. 435 p. 215 - (3rd tract of paragraph 4)
Textile Realty Co. - Dec. 30, 1931 - b. 563 p. 344
Andover Shawsheen Realty Co. - June 30, 1932 - b. 565 p. 87 - 3rd parcel
Harry & Olive Wright - July 19, 1941 - b. 642 p. 185
Harry Wright estate, Olive Wright heir - Nov. 1, 1963 - Probate
Alfred DeGregorio Jr. - Mar. 30, 1964 - b. 1006 p. 146
Alfred & Marilyn DeGregorio Jr. - Nov. 17, 1965 - b. 1049 p. 120
Timothy P. & Bette J. Flaherty - Aug. 23, 1968 - b. 1113 p. 95
James M. & Phyllis Jean Cassidy - July 14, 1972 - b. 1197 p. 317
Gary L. & Nancy P. Macek - June 12, 1974 - b. 1242 p.737
Pat. J. Benson - Aug. 2, 1976 - b. 1288 p. 87
340 Haverhill St. Realty Trust, Sylain Lebel & Steven Lebel, Trs. -Oct. 29, 2004 - b. 9155 p. 28
|Place||Shawsheen Village - Frye Village|
|Historic District||Andover Historic Building Survey|
|Present Use||residence - two family|
|Original Use||residence - two family AWCo. housing|
|Construction Date||1922 - 1923|
|Architectural Style||Colonial Revival|
|Roof||asphalt - hip|
|Major Alterations||vinyl siding, replacement windows, entrance doors replaced|
|Map and parcel||34-30|
|Recorded by||James S. Batchelder|
|Organization||Andover Preservation Commission|
|Date entered||October 11, 2015|