Queen Anne/Colonial Revival
Framing - wood joist and brick
This land once belonged to John Abbot and was sold to Oliver H. Perry on Oct. 21, 1855 who had purchased the Cogswell house at 68 Phillips St. This six acre parcel ran south along the west side Abbot St. from the corner of Phillips St. At this time it was referred to as the road to Wilmington and Boston. It was later named Woburn St. beginning at Phillips St and continued all the way to the Wilmington line. About 1900 the east end of Woburn St was renamed extending Abbot St. to Porter Rd.
With the death of Oliver Perry his wife Mary Ann Perry inherited the estate and then sold to Lyman A. Belknap of Boston on June 10, 1879. The estate contained four parcels of land and the Cogswell house. This property was a portion of the first parcel of 6 acres mentioned in the deed to Belknap.
Belknap then began to develop the vacant property along Abbot Street, dividing up house lots. According to Andover Townsman, this section of Abbot Street appears to have been developed around summer 1890. "This promises to be one of the most attractive parts of Andover" - "several new houses to be erected here this summer."
This lot was sold to Miss Susanna E. Jackson who had the house built by builder Charles Berry Mason who also constructed the Roberts house #43 at the same time (MS/S/433 p.36) Susanna Elizabeth Jackson was born Dec. 26, 1832 daughter of Rev. Samuel Cram Jackson and Caroline (True) Jackson. Her father was the first minister of West Parish Church and later State Librarian and served as Assistant Secretary of Education under Horace Mann. Susanna was the second child of six born to her parents. Her sister Caroline Rebecca b. Jan 5, 1830 and her niece Helen Jackson born in 1875, daughter of her brother William True Jackson, lived with her in this home. Prior to this home Susanna and Caroline built 7 Abbot St. in 1883 and shared the home with her brother William. In 1911 Susanna sold the home to her niece Helen. Susanna moved to Fitchburg, MA where she died on Oct. 2, 1914 at age 81y 9m. She is interred in the Chapel Cemetery at Phillips Academy with her parents.
July 5, 1889 AT p1. C. B. Mason is to build a house for Lieut. Wadhams, U. S. N. on Woburn St., upon the lot adjoining his own. This house, which is to have all the modern improvements is the third which Mr. Mason has built from the designs of the New York Co-operative Building Plan Association. He begins work at once. Mrs. Robert’s house close by in nearly complete outside, and is being plastered.
July 26, 1889 AT – The cellar is nearly finished for Lieut. Wadman’s house on Woburn St., and the builder Mason has the lumber on the ground ready for framing.
August 9, 1889 AT p.4 – Miss S. E. Jackson’s house on Woburn St. which is to be occupied by Lieut. Wadhams, is up and the roof is being raised. This house when completed with two broad piazzas, will command a fine view and together with the other new houses on this street, will make a handsome improvements in this part of the town, for which much credit is due C. B. Mason the builder.
Sept. 20, 1889 p.1 AT – C. B. Mason has moved into the house on Woburn St.
1910: S.E. Jackson - lives in Fitchburg, MA
1926-35: E.C. Cole (Edward & Lillian) foreman, T.R.Co.
1937: Hitchcock, John (Margaret G.) tmstr
1939-1963: Flather, Frederick Jr. (Edith) tex. Mfr (about 24 years @ #45)
May 1, 1994 - Andover Preservation Award Certificate for Exterior Preservation
Essex Northern Registry Deeds, Lawrence, MA
Lyman A. Belknap - June 13, 1879 - b. 56 p. 367 lot 1 of four parcels
Susanna E. Jackson - Jan. 30, 1889 - b. 99 p. 249 and page 303 - two lots
Helen Jackson - Sept. 8, 1911 - b. 309 p. 304
Edward Davenport Renouf, wife Eliza - July 16, 1917 - b. 379 b. 58
Lillian Cole, husband Edward Cole - Oct. 25, 1921 - b. 449 p. 552
Frederick & Edith Flather Jr. - June 30, 1938 - b. 616 p. 300
Philip K. & Bernice D. Bodge - Mar. 13, 1963 - b. 981 p. 164
Warren A. & Alyce N. Guinan - Oct. 8, 1968 - b. 1116 p. 201
Cyril N. & Sue W. Dadd - Nov. 8, 1977 - b. 1324 p. 619
Abbot St. Realty Trust, Cyril N. & Sue W. Dadd Trs, Nov. 30, 1999 - b. 5639 p. 336
Bruce G. & Lynn A. Hook - May 24, 2005 - b. 9430 p. 156
|Historic District||Not Applicable|
|Historic Name||Jackson House|
|Architectural Style||Colonial Revival|
|Architect/Builder||Charles Berry Mason|
|Major Alterations||Shed (1967)|
|Acreage||less than one acre; 15,890 sq. ft.; approx. frontage 110'|
|Map and parcel||74-17|
|Recorded by||Stack/Mofford, James Batchelder|
|Organization||Andover Preservation Commission|
|Date entered||1975-77, updated 12/2014|