Colonial Revival - Georgian Revival - Brick on masonry
Restaurant also had six bowling alleys in the basement and facilities for showing movies. The hall, also called the "Crystal Ballroon", was open for dancing twice a week. "All of these facilities are open to the general public and the many features provide an ideal place for large gatherings and entertainment" (The Town Crier, 1922 - 1925).
The "Shawsheen Cafeteria" building was constructed in 1922 and opened in July of that year. The building was designed by the by the engineering department of the American Woolen Co. It is 120' long and 76' wide.
AT July 7, 1922 - "The wide entrance porch opens into a entrance hall from which stairs descend to the basement. The main dining hall is 60' x 90' feet, with tiled walls and a terrazzo floor.... The tables and chairs were stained a dark brown. It will seat 800 people." The room was also designed to be used as a movie theater and lecture hall. A small balcony over the front entrance held the projection booth and two projectors which allowed for multi reel films to be shown without interruption. The theater could seat 500 patrons. Also on the main floor was the kitchen, washing area, a waitress room and manager's office.
The lower level held the bakery which was intended to supply fresh bread and pastries for the cafeteria, the Manor and the Spa. Any excess supply was sold for outside sales. The refrigeration and supply rooms were also near by. "Beneath the main hall in the basement are six bowling alleys and space for lockers, benches, etc. This building will be under the management of Joseph DeAcutis, who has had a wide experience both as chef and steward in some of the most famous hotel and clubs of New York and London."
The building was heated via the central heating plant on Tantalon Rd. which also served the Main Mill complex, Balmoral Spa, Shawsheen Manor and the Post Office Building.
The Cafeteria was built as a restaurant to service the 1700 mill workers in the Shawsheen Mills across the street. "Built for American Woolen Company employees, but almost immediately became public restaurant because of its popularity."
Sept. 22, 1922 AT - Open Shawsheen Alleys - First Matches Bowled Monday Evening. Village League Will Bring Out Large Group of Expert Enthusiasts. ...The latest addition is the Shawsheen bowling alleys in the basement of the cafeteria building which opened to the public on last Monady evening. (May 18th)
In construction, attention was given to providing a well lighter and ventilated room for the sport....The alleys, six in number are the last word in modern construction and the special lighting arrangements add greatly to the pleasure and skill of the game. ...One of the first matches played was between the yardmen and shop men of the Brush Factory. Yardmen took all four points. ... Since the opening on Monday night, which was attended by Mr. William M. Wood, the alleys have been busy every evening and from all appearances the Shawsheen Alleys promise to be a most popular community center.
The allleys will be under the direction of Mr. Joseph DeAcutis, manage of the Cafeteria.
Nov. 24, 1922 - AT - Shawsheen Villager - The Village Theatre - Cafeteria Building Will Be Opened For Moving Picture Next Tuesday. To Be So Used Twice Weekly. The movie theater officially opened on Tuesday Nov. 28th, but the films would be scheduled for Wednesday evenings and Saturday afternoons. The first feature movie shown was the six reel "Nanook of the North". The program also consisted of a Pathe News Weekly and a Harold Lloyd Comedy. On Saturday, for the children, "Cinderella and the Magic Slipper" and a Buster Keaton Comedy were presented.
It is not clear if the annex building attached to the rear of the building was built to house staff at the restaurant or built as apartments for workers in the mill. The current configuration holds six apartment units, with 8 bedrooms, 6 baths, a total 27 rooms, now a separately owned building.
After the death of William M. Wood in Feb. 1926 most of the residential and commercial buildings were then sold. Some were held by the Wood family in the "Arden Trust" and others with the American Woolen Company, which had been deeded the properties in December 1920. The A.W.Co. Board of Directors authorized its then President, Lionel J. Noah, to deliver all deeds, as deemed necessary to the Textile Realty for sale on Dec. 29, 1931.
The Textile Realty then transferred ownership to the Andover Shawsheen Realty Company on June 30, 1932, holding the mortgage on the properties. T. Edwin Andrew, treasurer, was authorized to sell or rent the properties. With the Great Depression sales were sluggish and many homes were rented until the economy rebounded.
The entire building was sold to Benjamin Babb, wife Annie on July 1, 1941. Babb then created "The Crystal Ballroom, Inc." Benjamin Babb, pres. & treas. on Aug. 1, 1941. The 1943 directory lists Benjamin Babb as a shipper for the American Woolen Co. Shawsheen Mill. He and wife Annie lived at 5 Princeton Rd. in Shawsheen Heights. The Crystal Ballroom was a very popular dance hall during the 1940s. Several Big Bands played here on the weekends.
There are four families renting the anex apartments in 1943. At #50 Balmoral is John N. & Jennie Phillips. John is a carpenter in the Shawsheen Mill, a daughter Ellen is a mender. #52 Is Charles H. & Helen T O'Connell. Charles is a plumber. - #54 - Jennie A. MacNeill widow of Hugh MacNeill and in #56 is Daniel H. Roach who works at Gillespie & Roach in Lawrence.
Frederick A. Higgins & John F. Higgins purchased the buildings on Aug. 12, 1957. It appears that Higgins leased the building to Sacred Heart School as a gymnasium for the boys. The name was changed to Cardinal Cushing Gymnasium during this time.
The Brothers of Sacred Heart had purchased the former Administration Building and opened Sacred Heart School there in 1945. They closed the boy's boarding school 1975, due to declining enrollments. Town of Andover appropriated funds 1976 for acquisition Balmoral playing fields open space and the gymnasium property.
Higgins had sold the apartment annex to Donald I. & Barbara L. Richmond on Feb. 9, 1966.
Other owners of the Cafeteria;
Sanford A. Kaufman, Joseph B. Guerrera, Mark B. Abelson - Oct. 17, 1980
Sanford A. Kaufman, Joseph B. Guerrera - Sept. 25, 1981
William P. & Kathleen M. Deluca - Oct. 7, 1983
William Deluca - June 1990 Andover Preservation Award for Adaptive Reuse.
Essex County Registry Deeds, Salem, MA
Essex Northern Registry Deeds, Lawrence, MA
Andover Maps, 1852, 1872, 1888, 1906, 1926
Andover Street Directories
See Area Form - Shawsheen for complete bibliography;
The Town Crier, A Directory of Shawsheen Village, 1922 - 1923
Andover Townsman, July 7, 1922, Nov. 24, 1922
Shawsheen - A Model Community, 1924, Dr. Edward Roddy; Merrimack College, History Department, North Andover, MA
Mills, Mergers and Mansions, 1982 - Dr. Edward Roddy
See also 48 - 58 Balmoral Street in Nat. Register Nomination Vol. #17
See Map plan #704 - American Woolen Company - Sept. 1927
#879 - June 1932 - Textile Realty Company
See Maps; #878 - June 1932 - Cafeteria, #5424 - Dec. 1965 - #9272 lot B - Oct. 5, 1983 lots 1 & 2
Jan. 12, 1923 -Andover Townsman p8. Photo of Shawsheen Cafeteria
Cornelius A. Wood -
American Woolen Company - Apr. 2, 1932 - b. 464 p. 357
American Woolen Company - Dec. 30, 1931 - b. 563 p. 334, p. 387
American Woolen Company - Oct. 1, 1937 - b. 611 p. 176 - confm. deed
Andover Shawsheen Realty Co. - Oct. 30, 1937 - b. 611 p. 177 (p. 185) 18th parcel
Benjamin Babb, wife Annie - July 1, 1941 - b. 642 p. 277 - 278
The Chrystal Ballroom, Inc. Benjamin Babb, pres. & treas. - Aug. 1, 1941 - b. 644 p. 192
Frederick A. Higgins & John F. Higgins - Aug. 12, 1957 - b. 859 p. 304
Andover Shawsheen Realty Trust - Dec. 20, 1962 - b. 975 p. 459
F. M. & T. E. Andrew Realty Trust - Dec. 20, 1962 - b. 975 p. 469
F. M. & T. E. Andrew Realty Trust - Dec. 31, 1962 - b. 976 p. 462
Sanford A. Kaufman, Joseph B. Guerrera, Mark B. Abelson - Oct. 17, 1980 - b. 1463 p. 29
Sanford A. Kaufman, Joseph B. Guerrera - Sept. 25, 1981 - b. 1535 p. 89
William P. & Kathleen M. Deluca - Oct. 7, 1983 - b. 1732 p. 115
The annex at 48-56 Balmoral
Donald I. & Barbara L. Richmond - Feb. 9, 1966 - b. 1054 p. 185 - lot 3 the annex
Arco Properties, LLC, Richmond - June 26, 2007 - b. 10810 p. 155
|Place||Shawsheen Village - Frye Village|
|Historic District||Shawsheen Village NRH District|
|Historic Name||Shawsheen Cafeteria - Crystal Ballroom|
|Present Use||Deluca Office building|
|Original Use||Restaurant, catering dept. - Bowling Alleys|
|Source||ERDS, ENRDL, AHS file, njs, style|
|Architectural Style||Georgian Revival|
|Architect/Builder||American Woolen Co. Engineers|
|Foundation||concrete / brick|
|Wall/Trim||brick and wood|
|Outbuildings / Secondary Structures||Attached annex apartment house - now sub-divided off|
|Major Alterations||altered into gymnasium for boys boarding school 1945 - 1975 Cardinal Cushing Gymnasium Main floor opened to basement level creating an atrium for offices on both levels - 1980s Front porch roof railing replaced from original|
|Map and parcel||36-88A|
|Recorded by||Stack/Mofford, James Batchelder|
|Organization||Andover Preservation Commission|
|Date entered||1975 - 1977, 7/8/2015|