The look is a nod to Second Empire/Queen Anne but this house may have been a Four Square when first built.
Steep "mansard" roof seems to have been re-shingled. The roof of this home visually suggests a structural change from a hip to mansard roof to accommodate a full third story.
Original and Present Owner: Phillips Academy Trustees
Themes: architectural; community development, education
Thw house was located on the Highland Rd. extension from Salem St. to South Main St. via the old hockey rink and the Case Memorial Gage. The home was run as a boarding house from 1892 - 1897 and was purchased by the Trustees of Phillips Academy in 1906. It was used as a dormitory and faculty housing. Slated for demolition It was razed in the Fall of 2006.
|Historic District||Academy Hill NRH District|
|Historic Name||Eastman House - Phillips Academy|
|Construction Date||c. 1870s|
|Architectural Style||Second Empire|
|Wall/Trim||clapboards & shingles|
|Acreage||5 acres; approx. frontage 133'|
|Map and parcel||58-16|
|Organization||Andover Historical Commission|