Other features: L-shape; side entry-hall plan; tall 2/2 windows have pronounced cornices; chamfered porch posts; entablature and corner boards
Present owner: Trustees of Phillips Academy
Themes: Architectural, Community development
Historical significance: Intact and well maintained building. Strong vertical emphasis of windows well-balanced by horizontal lines of cornices and porch. A tight, distinguished design.
This home was built for Richard & Eliza A. Moore in the late 1860's. Richard Moore was born in England in 1793 son of Thomas & Elizabeth Moore. Richard came to Andover and married on Oct. 26, 1843 to Elizabeth Abbott Phelps, b. Oct. 29, 1803, daughter of Joseph & Rebecca Phelps. They had one son Joseph R. Phelps b. abt 1849. Richard was a Printer by trade. In May 1870 they took a small mortgage from George W. Foster, which was later paid off in 1875. The deed mentioned the homestead that they now occupy.
His wife Eliza predeceased Richard Moore who died on Oct. 15, 1878. Richard's estate was administered by George Foster who sold the property at auction in June 1879.
The highest bidder at $1100 was Abbott Erving and the deed was recorded on July 5, 1879. Abbott Erving b. in 1856 in NY was the son of William & Joanna Abbott (Chandler) Erving. Abbott Erving transferred 2/3 of the title to his mother Joanna Erving and sister Harriett Louise "Hattie" Erving on Jan. 23, 1884. The father William b. 1826 in NY, is not listed as living with his family in 1880. Joanna Abbott Erving was b. on Nov. 4, 1828 daughter of Job & Lucy Chandler of Andover. Joanna died on March 14, 1900. Husband William died on Dec. 12, 1914. Hattie L. Erving was listed as a teacher in 1880 census and later working in the office at Phillips Academy. Hattie died on Feb. 15, 1922. and her brother Abbot on July 24, 1923. Abbott was married to Mary Bell. All are interred at South Parish Cemetery, Andover.
In April 1909 Hattie takes a mortgage from the Trustees of Phillips Academy
The surname is now written in the deeds as Hattie L. Irving. The property was sub-divided and a new home built next door at #43 Salem Street which Hattie then occupied until her death.
With the sub-division of the property and an un-recorded deed the property deed titles had to be settled in Land Court. Dec. 31, 1914. This was after the death of her father.
Hattie Irving then sold #45 to Mary J. Ingram on Feb. 24, 1915 who then transferred the title to Julia M. Biery, wife of Thomas J. on June 24, 1915. Julie & Thomas Biery took a mortgage in Nov. 1922 through Andover Savings Bank that was later transferred to Emery J. Trott. Trott took title in April 1940 and then sold to the Trustees of Phillips Academy on June 27, 1940.
Essex Northern Registry Deed, Lawrence, MA
Land Court records - ENRDL
Richard & Eliza A. Moore - 1869 - 1879
Richard & Eliza A. Moore - May 4, 1870 - b. 4 p. 142 mtg
Richard Moore, estate, George Foster, Admn. - June 1879 - Probate
Abbott Erving - July 5, 1879 - b. 56 p. 128
Joanna Erving, Hattie Erving - Jan. 23, 1884 - b. 94 p. 168 - 2/3rds
Hattie L. Irving (Erving) - Dec. 31, 1914 - Doc. 1203 - Ctf. 446 b. 2 p. 269
Mary J. Ingram - Feb. 24, 1915 - Ctf. 475 b. 4 p. 181
Julia M. Biery, wife of Thomas J. - June 24, 1915 - Ctf. 475 b. 4 p. 181 - transfer
Julia M. Biery - Nov. 24, 1922 - Doc. 2975 Ctf. 1168 - b. 8 p. 269 mtg
Emery J. Trott - April 1, 1940 - Ctf. 2485 - b. 17 p. 141 - title
Trustees of Phillips Academy - June 27, 1940 - Ctf. 2508 b. 17 p. 233
|Historic District||Not Applicable|
|Historic Name||Moore - Erving House|
|Construction Date||1865 - 1869|
|Source||ERDS, ENRDL, AHS file, njs, style|
|Foundation||stone & granite|
|Roof||asphalt - gable|
|Outbuildings / Secondary Structures||20th century garage|
|Major Alterations||side bay windows replaced mid 20th.|
|Acreage||less than one acre: approx. frontage: 50'|
|Map and parcel||58-9|
|Recorded by||W. Frontiero, James Batchelder|
|Organization||Andover Preservation Commission|
|Date entered||27 Feb 1980, 3/28/2015|