Style: Vernacular / Tudor cottage influence,
natural stone and wood materials, with violet gray slate roof, note the lintel stone over the front door.
This property was once owned by Asa A. Abbott -& Sylvester Abbott in 1853. The two brother lived at 15 - 17 Porter Rd. Sylvester Abbott purchased the lot on June 2, 1853.
Samuel H. & Elizabeth B. Bailey then inherit the property on Sept. 11, 1901 and transfer title to their daughter Carrie Madeleine (Bailey) Hewes. The property is parcel two of four. Henry G. Tyer, of the Tyer Rubber Co. then purchased the property on Oct. 13, 1922. Tyer's wife was Winifred LeBoutillier, daughter of Addison B. & Edith K. LeBoutillier.
Addison B. LeBoutillier of the Boston firm Ripley & LeBoutillier, purchased this lot on Apr. 28, 1937 and designed and built the home. LeBoutillier designed the new wing on the North School in West Andover in 1914, the new Punchard High School wing in 1916 (now Andover Town Offices) and the beautiful Shawsheen School in 1923. Most of the homes on Arundel St. in Shawsheen Village are also LeBoutillier's work.
LeBoutillier was an artist, sculptor, landscape artist and architect. Born in Utica, NY, he came to Boston to work as the chief designer of the Gruby Tile Co. Addison later partnered in the architectural firm of Fisher, Ripley & LeBoutillier. Addison and family arrived in Andover in 1905 and purchased an old farm house at 10 Orchard Street. He transformed the house into a New England cottage. Addison then moved his barn over to the next lot in 1922 and created a new home for himself in a more Shingle style Arts and Crafts design (14 Orchard) . A third cottage built next door at 18 Orchard, using stucco demonstrates LeBoutillier’s versatility of design, all working together to create a picturesque landscape to the neighborhood. This home is similar in style to 18 Orchard.
The home remained in the LeBoutillier family until 1950 when it was sold to Irving E. & Martha B. Rogers on Oct. 31, 1950. Rodgers was the owner of the Lawrence Eagle Tribune. Allen B. & Joyce D. Rogers then purchased the home on July 2, 1954 and owned for six years.
Harry M & Ruth C. Godden, Jr. purchased the property on Nov. 8, 1960 and held for eight years. Linus & Beverly Caufield were the next owners on Mar. 21, 1968, just three years then selling to Alton C. & Sandra M. Churbuck on Aug. 19, 1971. Sandra remarried to Nickerson and the deed was recorded on April 24, 1980. Sandra then sold to current owner of record Margaret C.Murphy on Sept. 30, 1980, now 36 years in 2016.
Essex County Registry Deeds, Salem, MA
Essex Northern Registry Deeds, Lawrence, MA
Manuscript Winfred Tyer at AHS
Map plan #1035 - Oct. 6, 1922 - Henry C. Tyer
Asa A. Abbott - 1853 - land
Sylvester Abbott - June 2, 1853 - b. 504 leaf 35 - land
Samuel H. & Elizabeth B. Bailey - Sept. 11, 1901 - b. 188 p. 474
Carrie Madeleine Hewes - Sept. 11, 1901 - b. 188 p. 474 - parcel 2
Henry G. Tyer, wife Winifred (LeBoutillier) Tyer - Oct. 13, 1922 - b. 467 p. 371
Addison B. LeBoutillier - Apr. 28, 1937 - b. 607 p. 12
Marion F. Stickney - Sept. 9, 1947 - b. 702 p. 368 - deed transfer
Addison B. & Edith K. LeBoutillier - Sept. 9, 1947 - b. 702 p. 370
Irving E. & Martha B. Rogers - Oct. 31, 1950 - b. 743 p. 218
Allen B. & Joyce D. Rogers - July 2, 1954 - b. 794 p. 218
Harry M & Ruth C. Godden, Jr. - Nov. 8, 1960 - b. 927 p. 212
Linus T. & Beverly G. Caulfield - Mar. 21, 1968 - b. 1102 p. 411
Alton C. & Sandra M. Churbuck - Aug. 19, 1971 - b. 1177 p. 542
Sandra M. (Churbuck) Nickerson - Apr. 24, 1980 - b. 1432 p. 180
Margaret C. Murphy - Sept. 30, 1980 - b. 1458 p. 53
|Street||Sunset Rock Rd|
|Place||Andover - Scotland District|
|Historic District||Not Applicable|
|Source||ECRDS, ENRDL, style-njs|
|Architect/Builder||Addison B. LeBoutillier|
|Roof||slate - gable|
|Major Alterations||East room additions: dormers - west|
|Map and parcel||79-17|
|Recorded by||Sean Craft, James Batchelder|
|Organization||Andover Historical Society, Andover Preservation Commission|
|Date entered||10 Jun 1991, 6/21/2016|