Present owner Cavallaro, Giocchino and Concetta.
1830 map shows J. Cheever on site. Owner 1945; Winslow L. Knowles.
Themes - Architectural, and Community Development
468 South Main – James & Henrietta Cheever House
This property was once owned by Peter Cheever born Dec. 10, 1710 in Salem, MA. Peter married on Dec. 23, 1762 at Salem to Martha Osgood born 1739. Peter & Martha had eight children; Peter Osgood b. 1863 bpt. in Salem on Mar. 18, 1864, Samuel b. 1765, John b. 1767, James b. 1773, Benjamin b. abt. 1775, Abigail b. June 9, 1778, Nathaniel b. Apr. 1, 1780 and Martha b.? Peter Cheever purchased the farm of the Thomas Chandler estate from Amos Blanchard, Executor on April 2, 1777 in the 2nd year of Independency . Blanchard filed the deed on Feb. 28, 1778 and was recorded on Oct. 16, 1784.
Peter Cheever’s business began in Salem, as a cordwainer, but later he moved to Andover and began farming. On his death on Feb. 11, 1801 his estate in Andover was acquired by his son Samuel. Samuel then sold ½ of his father’s farm to brother James Jr. on Feb. 19, 1823, James was a Trader in Salem, MA. Their mother Martha lived on the property until her death on Feb. 15, 1825. Samuel had half the farm land to the east on Rocky Hill Rd. and James got the west portion of the land that would later boarder on the Essex Turnpike when constructed in 1806-1810.
James O. Cheever built the home between 1825 – 1827. James married Henrietta Wilkins b. 1793 in Billerica, MA, intention published on Jan. 13, 1827. Henrietta was the daughter of William & Frances (Cummings) Wilkins. Their first child Henrietta was born in the home in 1828. They would have three more children, Frances Ann b. Aug. 15, 1830, James Osgood b. Oct. 12, 1834 and William Wilkins b. June 30 1835.
James Cheever died of a fever on April 20, 1845 at age 72. His wife Henrietta would inherit one half of the homestead through Probate court as James had no Will and their children were all minors. Henrietta would receive the south side of the house, barn and wood shed. The children would inherit the north side each with ¼ share to the property.
Daughter Henrietta married Capt. Winslow Lewis Knowles b. 1817 – d. 1863 in Calcutta, India. They had one son Winslow Jr. b. Feb. 8, 1861 who would come with his mother to live in the home in 1871 with his grandmother.
Frances Ann married Joseph E. Holt of North Reading b. 1828 – d. Aug. 25, 1882. They lived in Sterling , MA. “Aunt Frances” then moved back to the homestead in Andover with her mother and sister.
James O. farmed the property but later went into the lumber business. In 1860 Valuation schedule lists James O. and Mother, Dwelling house, barn & shed, 27 acres adjoining, 3 ½ acres West of Turnpike. 34 acre of young wood & Pasture. James also owns an additional 26 ½ acres of land. In 1870 he has added five more wood lots and the farm is now 141 acres. James married in 1883 to Sophia Augusta Prentice b. Apr. 19, 1834 dau. of Wm. & Cynthia (Kenney) Prentice. James would later move to Medford, MA and established his business there.
William Wilkins Cheever would become a carpenter, moved to Sterling, MA. He married Jennie Blood. William died on Sept. 23, 1903 in Sterling.
Henrietta W. Cheever died on Nov. 2, 1885 at age 92. Her estate was inherited by her children. Henrietta and Frances would live in the home, then moved to the center of town and leased the farm.
Henrietta died on April 4, 1911, and Frances A. on Nov. 27, 1916. Brother James also died in 1916 and the homestead was then held by Cheever cousins. Grandson Winslow L. Knowles the purchased the property on Oct. 23, 1923 and restored the property. Winslow held the farm for 23 years then selling on Aug. 17, 1945 to Giocchino J. & Concetta Cavallaro.
The Cavalaro’s established a poultry farm here. Giocchino died on June 17, 1981 and Concetta would later sell the property to their son Alfred J. & Mary A. Cavallaro on Dec. 26, 1986. They continue as owners of record in 2016 now seventy-one years.
Essex County Registry Deeds, Salem, MA
Essex Northern Registry Deeds, Lawrence, MA
Andover maps – 1830, 1852, 1872, 1888, 1906
Cheever Genealogy, Charlotte Helen Abbott – Andover Townsman
A History of his grandparent’s house by Winthrop L. Knowles, Aug. 1, 1950, VF, Andover Historical Soc.
Map plan #10539 – Sept. 22, 1986
Peter Cheever, wife Martha O. – April 2, 1777 – rec. Oct. 16, 1784 – b. 137 leaf 248
Peter Cheever Estate, Feb. 11, 1801 - Martha O. Cheever – probate
Martha O. Cheever estate – Feb. 15, 1825
Samuel Cheever -
James Cheever, Jr. - Feb. 19, 1823, rec. Sept. 15, 1823 – b. 233 leaf 241 - $900 ½ of farm
James Cheever estate, Henrietta W. Cheever – Jan. 10, 1846 – b. 413 leaf 436 -½ house – Probate
Henrietta W. Cheever estate, Nov. 2, 1885, Cheever heirs children. Henrietta Knowles, Frances A. Holt, James Osgood Cheever, Wm. Wilkins Cheever – 1846 & 1886
Cheever heirs; Grandchildren – 1903, 1911, and 1916
Winslow L. Knowles, wife Edna – Oct. 23, 1923 – b. 489 p. 233
Giocchino J. & Concella Cavalaro – Aug. 17, 1945 – b. 675 p. 591
Giocchino J. & Concella Cavalaro – Mar. 3, 1946 – b. 682 p. 89 – parcel 2
Giocchino J. & Concella Cavalaro – Mar. 17, 1949 – b. 721 p. 378 – parcel 3
Giocchino J. Cavalaro estate, heir Concella Cavalaro – June 17, 1981 – Probate
Alfred J. & Mary A. Cavalaro – Dec. 26, 1986 – b. 2391 p. 125Dorman, Moses; Map of Andover, 1830.
|Street||South Main St|
|Place||Andover - Scotland District|
|Historic District||Not Applicable|
|Historic Name||James & Henrietta W. Cheever House|
|Construction Date||1825 - 1827|
|Source||ECRDS, ENRDL, style-njs|
|Roof||asphalt - gable|
|Outbuildings / Secondary Structures||large barn|
|Major Alterations||House interior changed, side porches removed, barn enlarge by Cavalaro family|
|Map and parcel||64-8|
|Recorded by||Stack/Mofford, James S. Batchelder|
|Organization||Andover Preservation Commission|
|Date entered||1975-77, 7/17/2016|