NRDIS - Federal period house, handsome new entrance added when moved to this location.
Themes; Architectural, Community development
William Madison Wood, president of the American Woolen Co. bought the land at Frye Village in order to fulfill his dream of creating a model village, where the executives, management and workers could reside, work and spend their leisure time. A few older houses which were not demolish, were moved and remodeled into the Colonial Revival Shawsheen Village, 1919-1924.
This residence dates back to the day when Frye Village, a highway crossroads, became the manufacturing center for Smith and Dove flax manufacturers, Donald's ink factory and the Poor Wagon shop.
This home was referred to as the "Old Burnham Homestead" and was located at 19 Haverhill St. on southwest corner of Haverhill and York Streets (first called Oxford St). The Burnham home was once owned by Timothy Foster b. July 12, 1786, son of Timothy & Elizabeth Foster. Timothy married Lydia A. Mooar on July 1, 1816 and most likely built this home. Timothy died of consumption on May 11, 1847 and his estate was sold by Thomas C. Foster to James A. Roberts, a trader, wife Mary A. for $6500 on Dec. 15, 1847. Roberts held one year then selling to George L. Davis, wife Harriet on May 22, 1848 for $3500. Davis was a machinist, and sold to John Dove on April 8, 1851. John Dove deed the east half of the house to Peter Smith on April 21, 1851.
John Burnham, wife Diantha purchased the west half of the house, 1/2 the barn and the 11 acres of the property which extended west to the Shawsheen River on Feb. 24, 1858. John b. 1811 was a machinist and blacksmith, married on Nov. 8, 1838 to Dianthia Stevens b. Dec. 11, 1814 dau. of Leonard & Mary (Chandler) Stevens. John & Dianthia had 7 children; John Augustas b. 1837-d. 1840, Albert, b. 1839, John A. b. 1843- d. 1849, Olivia R. b. 1847, Chalres b. 1851, George L. b. 1855 and Mary A. b. 1857. John died intestate on Nov. 14,1861 of a hemorrhage. Dianthia would later sell the property for $3800 to James B. Smith on Apr. 3, 1867. James B. was the son of Peter Smith. Peter Smith sold his 1/2 portion of the property to James B. on Jan. 28, 1874. It came with use of half the house, front entry, space between the two ells and the well. The deed states that the home was divided into a two family.
John Smith purchased the property from his nephew James B. Smith on June 20, 1881 for $7000. There were three parcels included, two on the north side of Haverhill Street totaling 21 acres and the 11 acre lot with the homestead at the corner of Haverhill St. and York. (the way past the Alms house). This lot included what is now all the Balmoral playing fields to the river and the Admintration Building site. With the death of John Smith his hiers; Joseph Warren Smith & Helen G. Coburn inherit his property. Helen then sells her share to her sister-in-law Fannie S. Smith, wife of Joseph W.
The home was used as a two family tenement for employees of the company. Fannie Smith sold to George Carlisle on Nov. 28, 1906 who then sold to George & Emma Burnham in July 1907. Burnhams owned for one year then sold to William M. Wood in June 1907.
When Wood began the development of the Village he moved several homes to the lot next to the Burnham homestead. The parcel would later become the site of the American Woolen Co. Administration Building, now the Balmoral Condominiums. Three houses fronted on Haverhill, one on York and two on Balmoral St. When the plans were altered to build the Administration offices on that site, all the homes were then moved to the south side of Balmoral St. east of York St.
It is interesting to note that the former Lucretia Richardson home, formerly at 316 North Main St., later purchased by William Cunningham in 1906, was built on the south end of the current Wood Park. Wood purchased the home from Cunningham in Aug. 26, 1909. About 1921 the home was moved to 17 Haverhill St. and then to 47 Balmoral St. In March 1922 "Old Brown House ", formerly used by John Marson and William Cunningham and located at Poor and Main St., was moved to this site but burned. The "Old Burnham House ", formerly at 19 Haverhill St. and occupied by Marcus & Charlotte Hill, was then moved to this site.
Nov. 11, 1921 – The McNally house which formerly stood on Balmoral St. has been relocated on the extension of Balmoral St. on land originally owned by the town. The Green house is en-route to a location beside the McNally House and is being moved from Haverhill St. The Brown house on Haverhill St. and the Edgar hose on Balmoral St. will be relocated in the same vicinity.
Andover Townsman; Nov. 18, 1921 p8 – J.C. Collins and family have moved from the Brown house on Balmoral St. to Dunbarton St.
Dec. 9, 1921 AT – p8 The extension of Balmoral and York Streets is fast being built up. The houses that are being moved from Haverhill St. and Balmoral Street, two which are already placed.
Mar. 17, 1922 AT p8 - The Brown House, formerly on Haverhill St., moved in fall Oct. of 1921 with several others to Balmoral St extension – House burns on Mar. 15th, Wednesday. Double tenement house.
John Collins formerly lived in house. Once owned by George Torr, later purchases by Thomas David live in for 15 yrs. Then Carl Redigg was occupant, John Morrison took possession next, until built a house on Elm St. (in 1919 #68) House purchased by A. W. Co.
April 21, 1922 - p8 Mr. & Mrs. Alexander Mura and family have moved to 72 Haverhill St. from Balmoral Street. The Mura house will also be moved to Balmoral St. extension. Mr. & Mrs. Geo. Dunnels have moved from Haverhill St. to 6 Sutherland. The house formerly occupied by them will be moved to Balmoral St. extension where it will be placed on the foundation of the old Brown house that was burned down a short time ago.
Wood hired about eight different architects to design the homes and structures for the village. The older original homes were update and new entrances added to give a cohesive look to the other new homes in the neighborhood. All the houses in this section were all painted white with green shutters which was written in the deed restrictions. Homes were sold or rented through the Homestead Association who had offices in the Post Office building on the corner of North Main & Poor Streets.
After the death of William M. Wood in Feb. 1926 most of the residential and commercial buildings were then sold. Some were held by the Wood family in the "Arden Trust" and others with the American Woolen Company, which had been deeded the property in December 1920. The A.W.Co. Board of Directors authorized its President, Lionel J. Noah, to deliver all deeds, as deemed necessary to the Textile Realty for sale on Dec. 29, 1931.
The Textile Realty then transferred ownership to the Andover Shawsheen Realty Company on June 30, 1932, holding the mortgage on the properties. T. Edwin Andrew, treasurer, was authorized to sell or rent the properties. With the Great Depression sales were sluggish and many homes were rented until the economy rebounded.
The first occupants of record to lease the home in 1926 were Michael M. & Elizabeth I. Murphy at #47. Michael is lised as a mechanic. At #49 was Austin C. & Lean E. Huggins. Austin was the assistant manager of the Shawsheen Dairy.
This house was sold to Ralph J. & Mildred G. Bolderson -on Apr. 2, 1946. They owned just 10 months then sold to Gilbert J. & Eva A. Soucy on Jan. 21, 1947. Soucy owned for 18 months then sold to Joseph C. & Alma Lefebvre on June 23, 1948.
Robert W. & Elizabeth B. Neil then purchased the property on Nov. 15, 1950. The Niel family continues as the owners of record 65 years later in 2015. Robert Neil b. 1921 is listed in 1961 as a production serviceman or analyst. Elizabeth Neil b. 1922 a housewife. The Neils had two children Robert W. Jr. and Marjorie B. Neil. Elizabeth died on May 27, 1985 and Robert later deeded the property to his children. Robert Jr. lived in 49 Balmoral and Marjorie B. in the 21 Argyle St. apartment. Marjorie B., now married to Lee Britton is the owner of record.
Essex County Registry Deeds, Salem, MA
Essex Northern Registry Deeds, Lawrence, MA
Andover Maps, 1852, 1872, 1888, 1906, 1926
Andover Street Directories
Mills, Mergers and Mansions, by Edward Roddy 1982
See Map plan #704 - American Woolen Company - Sept. 1927
#898 - June 1932 - Textile Realty Company - lot #40
Owners; 19 Haverhill St. site
Timothy Foster, wife Lydia A.
Timothy Foster estate, Thomas C. Foster Adm. - Nov. 1847 Probate.
James A. Robert, wife Mary A> - Dec. 15, 1847 - b. 391 leaf 89 - $6500 w/3 parcels
George L. Davis, wife Harriet - May 22, 1848 - b. 397 leaf 281
John Dove - Apr. 8, 1851 - b. 443 leaf 232
Peter Smith - Apr. 21, 1851 - b. 466 leaf 213 - east half of house
John Burnham, wife Dianthia - Feb. 24, 1858 - b. 566 leaf 138 - $3000 - west 1/2 house w/eleven acres
John Burnham estate, Dianthia Burnham heir - 1847
James B. Smith - Apr. 3, 1867 - b. 725 leaf 171 - $3800
James B. Smith - Jan. 28, 1874 - b. 25 p. 39
John Smith - June 20, 1881 - b. 64 p. 572 - 3rd parcel - 11 acres & house
John Smith estate, Helen G. Coburn heir & trustee
Fannie S. Smith - Sept. 23, 1891 - b. 115 p. 77 (p. 78) parcel 2
George H. Carlisle - Nov. 28, 1906 - b. 240 p. 417
George L. & Emma J. Burnham - July 3, 1907 - b. 248 p. 352
William M. Wood - June 11, 1908 - b. 261 p. 575 - 11acres & house
American Woolen Company - Dec. 30, 1920 - b. 435 p. 215
Owners; 47-49 Balmoral St. site
Textile Realty Company - Dec. 30, 1931 - b. 563 p. 351
Andover Shawsheen Realty Co. - June. 30, 1932 - b. 565 p. 87 - parcel 15th
Ralph J. & Mildred G. Bolderson - Apr. 2, 1946 - b. 682 p. 565
Gilbert J. & Eva A. Soucy - Jan. 21, 1947 - b. 694 p. 252
Joseph C. & Alma Lefebvre - June 23, 1948 - b. 711 p. 277
Robert W. & Elizabeth B. Neil - Nov. 15, 1950 - b. 743 p. 534
Elizabeth B. Neil estate, Robert W. Neil heir - May 27, 1985
Robert W. Neil, Jr. & Marjorie B. Britton Dec. 30, 2009 - b. 2920 p. 279
Marjorie B. & Lee Britton - Jan. 22, 2010 - b. 11918 p. 197
|Historic District||Shawsheen Village NRH District|
|Historic Name||Burnham House|
|Present Use||residence - 3-family home|
|Construction Date||1800 - 1820|
|Source||assessors's rec./style -njs|
|Roof||asphalt - gable|
|Outbuildings / Secondary Structures||none|
|Major Alterations||Doorways altered, moved 1922|
|Move Details||1922 by American Woolen Co.|
|Acreage||0.230 acre, 10,020 sq. ft.; approx. frontage Balmoral St., 95 ft, Argyle St. 102 ft.|
|Map and parcel||36-70|
|Recorded by||Stack/Mofford, James Batchelder|
|Organization||Andover Preservation Commission|
|Date entered||1975-77, 7/4/2015|