Second Empire style with French mansard roof, a new trend in building style in Andover in the 1870's and 1880's
This house was built by Moody Russell in 1872. Construction of the new St. Augustine Church on the site next door did not begin until 1879 - 1880. That property was owned by William Corse who sold this lot to Moody Russell on April 29, 1872 for $500. Russell built the French, Second Empire style house and then sold the property to James Sullivan on February 17, 1873 for $2800.
James Sullivan sold a few months later to the Smith & Dove Manufacturing Co. in August 28, 1873 for $2900. Smith & Dove Co. owned the property for 39 years.
Feb. 21, 1873 Andover Advertiser – "Moody Russell has sold his new French roof house near the depot to James Sullivan."
Aug. 15, 1873 Andover Advertiser - "James Sullivan has sold his house and land near the depot to Smith & Dove Manuf. Co."
Abbott Village, just west of the Boston & Maine rail line was established early in the 1800's due to the adequate source of water to power the mills. Abel & Paschal Abbott moved their wool mill operation here from North Parish about 1813 and had a successful business until about 1838 when the market turned. The mill buildings were sold to Smith & Dove Manufacturing Co. in 1843. The flax to linen, thread company was established in Frye Village (Shawsheen Village) in 1835 relocating up river to this location.
Smith & Dove recognized the need for operative housing and slowly acquired several homes in the immediate area. They also built quality housing for their working force at 62-84 Essex St. and the double homes on Brechin Terrace. Every home on Baker Lane was once owned by Smith & Dove as were most on the lower end of Essex St.
The company reorganized in 1864 and again in 1912 bringing all their properties together into one deed. By 1894 all operations had ceased in Frye Village and the company was in full production here in Abbott Village. Smith & Dove was the largest business and employer in Andover at this time.
The company supplied their workers with a Village Hall (#77 Essex St.) for community gatherings, and built “Hillside” on Shawsheen Rd. for single women workers; provided childcare service, bowling alley, laundry and large dining room used for meetings and parities. S & D Co. also bought the old Cricket Field for the company soccer, football and baseball teams and sponsored many field day outings for their employees. They also established a pension fund for their elderly working force.
This property was sold by Smith & Dove to John & Mary Kelley on Oct. 16, 1912 after their second reorganization. The Kelly family owned the house until 1953. The Mary Kelly estate was administered by Fred. E. Cheever who held a mortgage deed on the property, and was also a guardian for Mary Kelley. The court probate court allowed the sale of the property for Kelley's estate.
James M. & Clare M. O'Hagan purchased the Kelly property on Apr. 10, 1953. The property was sold 12 years later to the Roman Catholic Archbishop of Boston on Dec. 15, 1965 to be use by the St. Augustine's Parish. The home is now used as a residence for the teaching nuns of St. Augustine's School.
Essex County Registry Deeds, Salem, MA
Essex Northern Registry Deeds, Lawrence, MA
William Corse -
Moody Russell - Apr. 29, 1872 - b. 17 p. 436
James Sullivan - Feb. 17, 1873 - b. 19 p. 502
Smith & Dove Manufacturing Co. - Aug. 28, 1873 - b. 23 p. 189
Smith & Dove Manufacturing Co. - May 8, 1912 - b. 316 p. 535
John Kelley - Oct. 16, 1912 - b. 322 p. 337
John Kelley Estate, Mary M. Kelley
Mary M. Kelly, to Fred E. Cheever - Dec. 3, 1942 - b. 655 p. 461 mtg
Mary M. Kelly, to Fred E. Cheever - Feb. 25, 1948 - b. 708 p. 187 mtg
Mary M. Kelly, Fred E. Cheever, guardian - Mar. 11, 1953 - b. 773 p. 376
Mary M. Kelly, Notice of Petition - Mar. 11, 1953 - b. 773 p. 376
Henry P. Claus, Commissioner - Probate - deed - March 11, 1953
James M. & Clare M. O'Hagan - Apr. 10, 1953 - b. 775 p. 314
Roman Catholic Archbishop of Boston - Dec. 15, 1965 - b. 1050 p. 304
|Historic District||Not Applicable|
|Historic Name||Smith & Dove Co. housing - John & Mary Kelley House|
|Architectural Style||Second Empire|
|Foundation||stone & granite|
|Acreage||0.8701 acre - 60' frontage|
|Map and parcel||55-60|
|Recorded by||James S. Batchelder|
|Organization||Andover Preservation Commission|
|Date entered||Jan. 9, 2015|