This barn is a classic New England style barn with gable end to the street. The proportions of the main barn and cupola on the roof emit a graceful symmetry and scale on the property. The white and green trim color scheme also contribute to a regional trend and taste of the period.
Original owner - Nathan Clark
This property was once owned by Nathan Clark, a farmer, and connected to his homestead lot at the corner of Dascomb and Clark Roads. The 1850 Valuation Schedule lists Nathan Clark's property as: House $300, barn $75, Adjoining buildings on 6 acres $200., 40 acre Village lot $1200.,18 acre Sheep meadow $450, 24 acre Hill pasture $600., 18 acres north of house $630, 9 acres David land $550. and Farm stock $146. A total of 115 acres and $4005 assessment on his farm.
Nathan Clark's estate was purchased by Herbert A. Moody on Aug. 16, 1882 for $2200. The farm consisted of three parcels, the house lot with buildings, an adjoining 23 acre 114 3/4 sq. rods parcel on the east side of Clark Rd and a 23 acre lot across the street on the north side of Dascomb Rd. Herbert Moody transferred the deed to Almon S. Moody, a minor, through his guardian Samuel G. Sargent of Methuen, for $1500. on Aug. 23, 1883.
The farm remained with Almon Moody until his death in 1911. His estate was sold via probate license by Sarah Melinda Moody, Adm. to Edward P. Hall of Methuen on Oct. 23, 1911. Edward Hall paid $3500 for the farm. Edward Hall and family would own the home for 64 years. The 1920 Valuation lists Edward Hall in the South District - Clark Rd. Ballardvale; corner of Dascomb & Clark Rds. House $1400, Barn $600, Hen houses $200, 3 1/3 acres $400 and 23 acres lot $800 = $3400. Edward Hall died in 1974 and the property was then sold by Russell E. Hall, Adm. of the estate, to Scott Properties, Inc. and developer V. Scott Follansbee on March 3, 1975.
The house lot was divided off and sold to Kenneth E. & Susan A. Williams. At this time the lot that had included the barn and shed located on Clark Rd. and the house facing Dascomb Rd. was divided into three separate house lots. Williams purchased the Clark Homestead on lot #1. Lot 2 contained the barn and shed and lot 3 was vacant. Lot 2 was purchased by James J. Philben. The barn was saved and restored and a new home built to the north of it.
Roger M. & Margo R. Turpening purchased the property on Nov. 10, 1978. The Turpening family were owners of the home and barn for 36 years.
The Andover Barn Survey was conducted in 1988 by the Andover Historical Society and the Andover Preservation Commission. The former Nathan Clark barn was then designated an historic structure and a architecturally a significant structure of Andover's former agricultural history. The property was first added to the Andover Building Survey in 1975-1977.
Essex County Registry Deeds, Salem, MA
Essex Northern Registry Deeds, Lawrence, MA
Andover Historical Society files
Dorman, Moses: Map of Andover, 1830
Poore, Dr. Alfred: " A Genealogical - Historical Visitation of Andover in Year 1863"
Map plan #7192 - Dec. 19, 1974 - sub-divide Scott Follansbee
See Map plan # 7213 - May 9, 1975 - sub-divide, Scott Follansbee 3 lots
Map plan # 7699 - Oct. 17, 1977 small triangle to Williams
Map plan # 7782 - March 1, 1978 - lots 2a & 3a - James Philbin
see also: Barn Survey - 1988 - Andover Historical Society
Nathan Clark estate - 1882
Martha A. Hall, heir, dau. of Nathan Clark - 1882 -
Herbert A. Moody - Aug. 16, 1882 - b. 69 p. 95
Almon S. Moody, Guardian Samuel Sargent - Aug. 23, 1883 - b. 73 p. 65
Almon S. Moody estate, Sarah Melinda Moody Adm. - Oct. 9, 1911 - Probate Lic. to sell
Edward P. Hall - Oct. 23, 1911 - b. 311 p. 315
Edward P. Hall estate, Russell E. Hall, Adm - Jan. 20, 1975 - Probate Lic. to sell
Scott Properties, Inc. V. Scott Follansbee, Pres. & Trea. - Mar. 3, 1975 - b. 1256 p. 347
Roger M. & Margo Turpening - Nov. 10, 1978 - b. 1356 p. 125 - lot 2 (now 2A)
Roger M. & Margo Turpening - Dec. 5, 1986 - b. 2374 p. 344
Margo Turpening estate, Roger M. Turpening heir - Oct. 27, 2012 - Probate
Mark D. & Amy Berinato - Apr. 7, 2014 - b. 13817 p. 299
|Historic District||Andover Historic Building Survey|
|Historic Name||Nathan Clark Barn|
|Construction Date||circa 1850s|
|Source||ECRDS, ENRDL, style-njs|
|Roof||asphalt - gable|
|Outbuildings / Secondary Structures||shed|
|Condition||excellent (1977), 2017|
|Map and parcel||156-7A|
|Recorded by||Stack/Mofford, Barbara Thibault, James S. Batchelder|
|Organization||Andover Preservation Commission|
|Date entered||1975 - 1977, 1988, 1/29/2017|