1-story gabled wing at rear; overhanging eaves w/ exposed rafter ends; full length porch has gabled entry projection; 1/2 height clapboard wall w /square columns; paired windows; semi-circular gable windows
Craftsman-influence in exposed structural elements; well-balanced composition of windows, porch, and dormer. Dynamic roof line is characteristically Bungalow.
Present owner: Witman, Sanders and Elizabeth
Themes: Architectural, Community development, Recreation
Historical significance: One in a small series of cottages evidently built as summer homes overlooking Haggetts Pond across the street. Set off from Blanchard - Chase - Bell house, possibly a Railroad Station Depot lived in by Andrew Innes and moved by George M. Hunter around 1927. The Lowell - Lawrence Rail Road line was built in 1847-1848 from Tewksbury to the new city of Lawrence. May 14, 1869 – Andover Advertiser - A Target station has been established on the Lowell & Lawrence Railroad, near the William place, in West Andover. A published photo from the collection of the Beverly Historical Society states 1866 as the date it was built.
Aug. 15, 1924 Andover Townsman - pg. 4 Haggetts Pond Train Discontinued.
This property was once connected to the Seth Chase farm that stood on the site at 38 Haggetts Pond Road. After Chase died his daughters sold the property to the American Woolen Company in 1923. William M. Wood, President of the A.W.Co., purchased several farms in West Andover as part of his development plan of Shawsheen Village. The farms were to provide milk, eggs and produce for the residents of the village. Mr. Wood died in February 1926 and the land holdings were sold off that summer.
George M. Hunter purchased the property on Aug. 10, 1926 and the parcel contained 8.23 acres extended from Lowell St. to Haggetts Pond Rd. and the west property line was the Boston & Maine Railroad Lowell – Lawrence line. George worked for the American Woolen Co. as a Manager of their bag and burlap mill in Lawrence.
George Matthew Hunter was born June 28, 1873 in Lawrence, son of John & Marion Maria (Colquhoun) Hunter, both Scottish immigrants. George was the youngest of three children to John and Marion, two brothers John W. b. July 18, 1866 d. Sept. 28, 1873 and Alexander b. 1868. His mother Marion died on Feb. 23, 1875. The 1880 census lists George Hunter age 7, as adopted son, living with his grandfather John Colquhoun age 75 and his two children, Alexander age 25 a butcher and Elizabeth age 28 mill worker. George would continue to live with his Aunt Elizabeth Colquhoun. In 1900 they had moved to Andover and rented at 234 Main St. George is an upholsterer. George later went to work for the American Woolen Co., lived in Methuen. The 1920 Census lists George on (#444) Lowell St., age 45, with his Aunt Elizabeth now 75.
George married on June 21, 1922 to Beatrice Elizabeth Monroe b. Aug. 12, 1895 in Bradford, MA dau. of Joseph W. & Grace Jane (McGillivray) Monroe. We believe the Haggetts Pond Depot was part of the 8.25 acre parcel and moved here after the line was closed. George died on Dec. 22, 1928 and Bernice inherited the property. She remained in the Lowell St. home.
In the 1930 Census Andrew Kerr Innes, wife Grace I., and three children are renting the home. Grace Innes was the sister of Bernice Hunter. Andrew Kerr Innes was born June 14, 1894 in Glasgow, Lanarkshire, Scotland, son of John & Janet (Kerr) Innes. Andrew arrived in Lawrence in 1902 with five of his siblings. His parents had immigrated in 1880 had one daughter Agnes here, returned to Scotland, had five children then returned to Lawrence where their youngest Archie was born.
Andrew K. married on June 5, 1917 to Grace Isabell Monroe b. Mar. 24, 1894 in Haverhill, MA dau. of Joseph W. & Grace Jane (McGillivray) Monroe. Andrew also worked for the American Woolen Co. first as a sewing machine operator then a Percher or cloth examiner. Andrew & Grace had four children: Andrew Monroe b. June 3, 1920, Elinor Beatrice b. Mar. 20, 1924, Ruth Shirley b. Jan. 18, 1927 and Robert Bruce b. Aug. 2, 1937. The Innes family attended the United Presbyterian Church in Lawrence.
Bernice Hunter sold the house to Andrew & Grace on Oct. 30, 1943. They purchased a smaller second parcel in Aug. 1959. Grace died on April 8, 1967 and Andrew in Mary of 1973. Innes family occupied the home for 43 years and owned for thirty. The Innes estate sold the home on Aug. 2, 1973 to Sanders R. and Elizabeth B. Whitman who continue owners of record in 2018, now 45 years.
Essex County Registry Deeds, Salem, MA
Essex Northern Registry Deeds, Lawrence, MA
Ancestry.com - Hunter and Innes family genealogy.
Federal Census records,
1852, 1888, 1906 Andover Maps
Town Resident Directories - 1926, 1930, 1940
Salem Ice Co., Stephen C. Phillips, John Wright, Sidney Spaulding – Sept. 20, 1850 - b. 435 leafs 118-119, 2 lots 8.5 acres
Salem Ice Co. – J. Wm. Peele, Francis Brown, Nathaniel B. Perkins – Jan. 4, 1854 – b. 488 leaf 30
Daniel Draper estate, William P. Draper – Apr. 26, 1859 – b. 586 leaf 200 - $3000
William P. Draper & Davis S. Draper, Extrs.
Seth Chase – Mar. 24, 1868 – b. 756 leaf 72
Seth Chase estate, Georgina & Anna E. Chase –heirs
American Woolen Company – Apr. 25, 1923 – b. 485 p. 222
American Woolen Company – July 22, 1926 – b. 525 p. 365 – vote to sell
George M. Hunter – Aug. 10, 1926 – b. 525 p. 366 - $3200 – 8.23 acres
George M. Hunter estate, Beatrice M. Hunter
Beatrice M Hunter – Aug. 20, 1928 – b. 541 p. 198 – 1.04 acres triangle lot w/blds
Andrew K. & Grace Innes – Oct. 30, 1943 – b. 660 p. 553
Andrew K. & Grace Innes – Aug. 4, 1959 - b. 899 p. 326 – 2nd parcel
Andrew K. Innes estate, Ruth I. Pfaffle, Extrx – Aug. 2, 1973 – Probate
Sanders R. & Elizabeth B. Witman – Sept. 14, 1973 – b. 1228 p. 2
Whitman Family Trust – June 1, 2017 – b. 15101 p. 211
|Street||Haggetts Pond Rd|
|Place||West Parish - Osgood District|
|Historic District||Not Applicable|
|Historic Name||Haggetts Station Depot - Andrew K. & Grace I. Innes House|
|Original Use||Railroad station depot|
|Construction Date||1866 - 1869|
|Source||ERDS, NERDL, style,|
|Foundation||stone & granite|
|Outbuildings / Secondary Structures||2-bay garage|
|Move Details||circa 1927 - 1928|
|Acreage||1.42 acres; approx. frontage: 50'; approx. distance of building from road: 25'|
|Map and parcel||196-13|
|Recorded by||W. Frontiero, James S. Batchelder|
|Organization||Andover Preservation Commission|
|Date entered||Feb 25 1980, 8/1/2018|