Style: Picturesque - stick style - or Eastlake style popular from 1870-1890.
Other features: gable details intact - stickwork brackets (1976-1977)
Period photo below shows original look as built. Unique home style in Andover.
Former owner: McDonald, Clarence & Julia (9 Apr 1976 - 2013)
Themes: Architectural, Community development
Historical significance: Wing facing Washington Street used to be "community" store that was run by owner's father.
Horace Bodwell was born on Dec. 10, 1830 in West Pelham, NH, son of John & Lucinda (Young) Bodwell. Horace was a Master mason. He married on Mar. 3, 1853 in Andover to Mary F. Hill b. Nov. 4, 1828 in Andover, daughter of William & Phebe Hill. In 1880 the Bodwells live in Lawrence, MA. Horace died on June 21, 1890 and his widow inherited the property.
The 1906 Andover map has an unmarked house at or near this site. John H. Campion bought the property on July 5, 1905 and sold to Realtor Barnett Rogers on July 10, 1905. Rogers had the property for nearly two years.
Charles purchased the property on May 27, 1907. Charles T. Emerson born 1878 in North Reading, MA son of Benjamin A. & Laura (Brown) Emerson. Charles was a Motorman when he married on June 22, 1904 to Susan M. Peabody b. 1877 in North Reading, dau. of James W. & Olive (Symonds) Peabody. Charles lists himself as an Express-man in 1910. They owned just four years, sold and moved to 72 Park St. Charles Emerson would later become the Chief of the Andover Fire Department.
Charles Dolan bought next on Nov. 27, 1911 and owned until March 1915. Born 1888 in Scotland, he immigrated in 1904 worked as a wool finisher in Marland Mills. His sister Rose Dolan also worked in the mill as an inspector.
Etta S. Young, wife of David C. Young purchased the house on Mar. 3, 1915. Davis C. Young was born in Hamilton, Scotland, on July 28, 1867 son of Brown & Elizabeth Young. He immigrated to America in 1889, first to Manchester, NH where he worked as a butcher. David married there on July 27, 1892 to Etta S. Hutchinson b. 1872 in Tyngsboro, MA dau. of John & Lydia Hutchinson. They had a daughter Elizabeth M. b. 1894.
David went to work for the Valpey Brothers butcher and provisions store at 2 Main St. He lived at 5 Summer St. prior to this home. In July 1916, with the death of Ezra Valpey, the business was sold to David S. Lindsey & David C. Young of “Lindsey & Young”. Etta S. Young died in July 1920.
The 1920 Valuation lists House and shed $1200 and 9200 sq. ft. of land $800. Young ended his partnership with Lindsey in 1922 and they sold the business to Mr. Hormada of Lawrence. It appears that David may have built the “Little Store” attached to his home at 48 Summer St. The 1926 Andover Directory lists David C. Young under the Variety Stores advertising section at #48 Summer Street.
David Young re-married to Sarah E. “Sadie” Harding. The home was sold to George P. & Elizabeth. F. Bourne on July 10, 1926 and David & Sadie moved across the street to 69 Summer St.
George Percy Bourne was born Apr. 20, 1870 in Byfield, MA son of George & Josephine Bourne. George worked in the shoe factories in Haverhill, later a foreman. He married on Oct. 12, 1891 to Elizabeth F. Stevenson b. Scotland 1871 dau. of Robert & Lizzie Stevenson. She was a Leather Trimmer in the shoe factory. They purchased the home in Andover and opened a Grocery store in Young’s Variety Store. It is listed as 44 Washington Ave. from 1926-1935. Their son Robert Earl was a clerk there in 1935. Bourne retired and moved to Wakefield, MA.
Norman W. & M. Estella Pitman continued with the grocery store. In 1940 Norman was working in the paint department for a worsted wool company and in 1943 as a metal worker at GE in Lynn, MA.
Norman & Estella had two sons Paul b. 1933 and David b. 1935. It appears that the grocery business was managed by Rose Sullivan who lived at 59 Essex St. Sullivan purchased the store and building at 59 Essex St in 1941 and is listed at both stores in the 1943 directory.
Pitman would sell the property at the end of WWII to Agnes and Margaret M. Holmes on Sept. 22, 1945. Agnes & Margaret were sisters who worked in the mills of the American Woolen Co. They never lived in the home but rented to Edwin E. & Helen M. Johnson. Edwin was the manager of “Johnson’s Variety”.
Edwin was born Feb. 11, 1914, son of Thomas & Julia Johnson. The following year on Feb. 9, 1946 the Holmes sisters sell the property to Julie T. Johnson, wife of Arthur, and Helen M. Johnson, wife of Edwin.
On Oct. 22, 1954 Helen Johnson deeds ½ undivided share in the property and buildings to Julia T. Johnson, her sister-in-law. It was about this time that the Variety store was taken over by William H. & Elsie C. (Stiles) Haigh who lived at 34 Washington Street. A plan of the lot with buildings was done by Julia T. Johnson on October 24, 1962. The store closed and was converted into an apartment for Julia T. Johnson. Julia T. died on March 7, 1976 and property inherited by Julia P. McDonald b. 1935.
Julia P. & Clarence E. McDonald lived in the home with their children; Kevin A. b. 1957and Shelia b. 1958. Clarence Edward McDonald was b. May 25, 1926 in Muhlenberg, KY, son of Edgar & Flora (Allen) McDonald. Clarence enlisted in the Army on Sept. 7, 1948 and retired from active duty on Oct. 30 1968.
Julia McDonald was a substitute teacher in Andover for many years. Clarence died on Nov. 25, 1993.
Julia and her son Kevin continued to live in the home until 2013 when they sold to Jefco Inc., Doug Ahern on Sept. 11, 2013. A request for demolition was heard by the Andover Preservation Commission in 2013, and a demolition delay instated. A Public hearing was held on the property and a site visit by the commission board. Rehab was not an option and moving the building was also considered. After extensive review and adjustments of the new plans for the site the former home was razed in 2014. A larger two story structure erected on the site contains two condominiums.
Essex Northern Registry Deeds, Lawrence, MA
See Map plan #4681 - Oct. 24, 1962 - Julia T. Johnson
Ancestry.com - Bodwell, Emerson, Dolan, Young, Bourne, Pitman, Holmes, Johnson, McDonald
Andover Street Directories.
Plan #4681 - Julia T. Johnson Oct. 24, 1962
Horace Bodwell, wife Mary F. (Hill) Bodwell
Horace Bodwell estate died June 21,1890 - Mary F. Bodwell, heir
John H. Campion - July 5, 1905 - b. 222 p. 268
Barnett Rogers - July 10, 1905 - b. 222 p. 369
Charles T. Emerson - May 27, 1907 - b. 246 p. 134 portion of lot
Charles Dolan - Nov. 27, 1911 - b. 312 p. 79
Etta S. Young - Mar. 3, 1915 - b. 350 p. 324
David C. & Etta Young, Sadie Young - Mar. 12, 1920 - b. 417 p. 473
George P. & Elizabeth. F. Bourne - July 10, 1926 - b. 524 p. 188
Mary Estelle Pitman - Oct. 4, 1935 - b. 593 p. 460 - lot 1
Agnes and Margaret M. Holmes - Sept. 22, 1945 - b. 676 p. 180
Agnes and Margaret M. Holmes - Feb. 9, 1946 - b. 681 p. 418
Helen M. & Julia T. Johnson - Oct. 22, 1954 - b. 801 p. 118 2 lots
Julia T. Johnson & Julia McDonald - Aug. 9. 1974 - b. 1247 p. 54
Julia T. Johnson estate died Mar. 7, 1976, heir Julia P. McDonald
Julia & Clarence E. McDonald - Apr. 9. 1976 - b. 1279 p. 324
Clarence E. McDonald estate, died Nov. 25, 1993 - Julia McDonald heir - Probate
Jefco Inc., Doug Ahern – Sept. 11, 2013 – – b. 13651 p. 308
Jefco Inc. DOug Ahern – Zoning Board of Appeals – Mar. 28, 2014 - b. 13808 p. 199
Washington – Summer Condominium - Nov. 10, 2014 – b. 14035 p. 75 master deed
Unit 2 – 44 Washington Ave - Feb. 11, 2015 – b. 14124 p. 176
Unit 1 – 48 Summer St. - Mar. 9, 2015 – b. 14151 p. 278
|Historic District||Not Applicable|
|Historic Name||Bodwell - Young - McDonald House|
|Present Use||residence - with in-law apartment|
|Source||ERDS, NERDL, style,|
|Wall/Trim||clapboard/wood/ aluminum siding|
|Outbuildings / Secondary Structures||attached ell on west side about 1922 for Variety store.|
|Major Alterations||remodeled (1968), original deals covered or removed|
|Demolition Details||Razed in spring of 2014 for new two story, double condo home.|
|Acreage||less than one acre; lot size: 9,340 sq. ft.; approx. frontage: Summer Street - 80', Washington Street - 111'|
|Map and parcel||21-105|
|Recorded by||Stack/Mofford, James S. Batchelder|
|Organization||Andover Preservation Commission|
|Date entered||1975-1977, 5/27/2016, 3/25/2018|