Two fireplaces; steam heating and auto burners
This land once belonged to John Abbot and was sold to Oliver H. Perry on Oct. 21, 1855 who had purchased the Cogswell house at 68 Phillips St. This six acre parcel ran south along the west side Abbot St. from the corner of Phillips St. At this time it was referred to as the road to Wilmington and Boston. It was later named Woburn St. beginning at Phillips St and continued all the way to the Wilmington line. About 1900 the east end of Woburn St was renamed extending Abbot St. to Porter Rd.
With the death of Oliver Perry his wife Mary Ann Perry inherited the estate and then sold to Lyman A. Belknap of Boston on June 10, 1879. The estate contained four parcels of land and the Cogswell house. This property was a portion of the first parcel of 6 acres mentioned in the deed to Belknap.
Belknap then began to develop the vacant property along Abbot Street dividing up house lots. According to Andover Townsman, this section of Abbot Street appears to have been developed around summer 1890. "This promises to be one of the most attractive parts of Andover" - "several new houses to be erected here this summer."
This lot was sold to Helen P. Willis. Willis then sold to Cornelia S. Chapin on April 15, 1898 two parcels. Cornelia Chapin was the wife of Edward Chapin and lived at 38 Phillips St. She purchased this property and the one next door at 47 Abbot which she deeded to her son E. Barton Chapin in 1920. This home was used as rental income until sold to William Y. Humphreys on June 18, 1920.
In the 1910 Census Percival Dove, wife Alice and family are renting the house. Dove is the son of George W.W. Dove and Susan C. Dove and grandson of John Dove of the Smith & Dove Manf. Co. His parents built the new home at 24 Phillips St. after selling the "Croft" at 274 North Main St in 1895. Upon the death of George W. W. Dove on Oct. 24, 1908, Susan sold the home and moved to 43 Abbot St. Percival would buy the Whipple Mansion at 290 So. Main St. in 1912 and moved there. His mother then purchased the home next door at 286 So. Main in 1913.
Thaxter & Lucy A. Eaton purchased the house on June 29, 1931. Thaxter was the Town Treasurer. Thaxter Eaton died March 18, 1956 and the property was sold on Oct. 2, 1959 to Gordon P. & Charlotte A. Guest after the death of Lucy Eaton.
Lieut. Wadhams, wife & sons occupied the home (MS/S/433 p. 37)
1900-10: Chapin, Mrs. Cornelius S. (38 Phillips) owns #49
1926: J.G.S. Humphreys (John & Doris) Rawson Molding Co., Waltham
1957: Eaton, Lucy A.
1959: Von Siebenthel, Ida, domestic
1994 awarded Certificate for Exterior Preservation
Essex Northern Registry Deeds, Lawrence, MA
Andover Historical Society
Helen P. Willis, Charles O. Hemenway, Lyman A. Belknap
Cornelia S. Chapin - April 15, 1898 - b. 162 p. 147 - two parcels
William Y. Humphreys - June 18, 1920 - b. 426 p. 48
Thaxter & Lucy A. Eaton - June 29, 1931 - b. 559 p. 499
Thaxter Eaton estate, died March 18, 1956 - Probate
Lucy A. Eaton - March 1958
Lacy A. Eaton estate, Roland H. Sherman, Extr. Apr. 18, 1959 - Probate
Gordon P. & Charlotte A. Guest - Oct. 2, 1959 - b. 902 p. 452
Charles A. & Eleanor Ellis Jr. - July 31, 1963
Charles A. Ellis Jr., wife Eleanor died May 12, 1969
Joel H. & Erlinda Parks - June 28, 1976 - b. 1285 p. 213
|Historic District||Not Applicable|
|Historic Name||Willis-Eaton House|
|Architectural Style||Queen Anne|
|Architect/Builder||Charles B. Mason|
|Foundation||brick or stone|
|Major Alterations||pool (1970)|
|Acreage||less than one acre; 18,530 sq. ft.; approx. frontage 151'|
|Map and parcel||74-15|
|Recorded by||Stack/Mofford/Thibault/James Batchelder|
|Organization||Andover Historical Society - Andover Preservation Commission|
|Date entered||1975-77, updated 12/2014|