Shawsheen Village was named after the Native American name for the river Shawshin, which means Great Spring. Prior to Shawsheen Village this area was known as Frye Village. All the streets in the Village were named for Castles & Cathedrals in Great Britain. Enmore Street takes its name from Enmore Castle, an historic building in the village of Enmore, Somerset, England.
This home was built as part of the Shawsheen Village development from 1918-1924 by William M. Wood, President of the American Woolen Company. Wood hired about eight different architects to design the homes and structures for the village. Homes were leased through the Homestead Association who had offices in the Post Office building on the corner of North Main & Poor Streets.
Each home incorporates a different look, style and design modifications, most noticeable with the front door entrances. Decorative details on the corner boards and a variety of ornamental trellises, window boxes all added the “icing on the cake, of the original designs. Most of the homes now sport a variety of different colors, no longer all white with green shutters as dictated in the original deeds. Many of the original screen porches have been enclosed for an additional room. This home is unique in design to the street and its handsome curved front porch and corner board coining details.
After the death of William M. Wood on Feb. 2, 1926 most of the residential and commercial buildings were then sold. Some were held by the Wood family in the "Arden Trust" and others with the American Woolen Company, which had been deeded the property in December 1920. The A.W.Co. Board of Directors authorized its President, Lionel J. Noah, to deliver all deeds, as deemed necessary to the Textile Realty Co. for sale on Dec. 29, 1931.
The Textile Realty then transferred ownership to the Andover Shawsheen Realty Company on June 30, 1932, holding the mortgage on the properties. T. Edwin Andrew, treasurer, was authorized to sell or lease the properties. With the Great Depression sales were sluggish and many homes were rented until the economy rebounded.
One of the first occupants of record to lease the home in 1926 was Robert & Mae Barron. Robert age 34 was a florist in Lawrence. His mother Emma age 66 also shared the home. In 1928 George F. & Alice Parker rented. George was a plumber. In 1935 Frederick & Louise Hulme were the residents Fred was a clerk in Boston. 1937-1940 James & Jemima Porter rented the house. James was age 78 in 1938 and a mill operator in the Shawsheen Mill. In 1941 Alexander & Bella Blamire have moved in. Their son Alex Jr. age 20 is also listed.
This house was purchased by Alexander M. & Bella M. Blamire on June 30, 1945. Alexander was an overseer at the Shawsheen Mill of the American Woolen Co. Blamire owned the property for nine years, lived here 13 years, then sold to Joseph A. & Dorothy J. Tassinari on July 9, 1954. In 1961 Joseph b. 1925 listed occupation is Assistant District manager. Dorothy b. 1922 a housewife. The Tassinari family were long term owners of 32 years before selling to Stephen P. & Robbin R. Farley on Oct. 17, 1986.
Essex County Registry Deeds, Salem, MA
Essex Northern Registry Deeds, Lawrence, MA
Andover Maps, 1852, 1872, 1888, 1906, 1926
Andover Street Directories
Mills, Mergers and Mansions, by Edward Roddy 1982
See Map plan #704 - American Woolen Company - Sept. 1927
#877 - June 1932 - Textile Realty Company lot #31 & 31A
#975 - Oct. 29, 1921 - Dufton to AWCo.
George C. H. Dufton, wife Susanna - 1921 - 18 acres-
American Woolen Company, Wm. M. Wood Pres. – October 29, 1921 – b. 470 p. 341 – 18 acres
Textile Realty Co., Lionel J. Noah, Pres. A.W.Co. - Dec. 30, 1931 - b. 563 p. 351
Andover Shawsheen Realty Co. - June. 30, 1932 - b. 565 p. 87 - 7th parcel
Andover Shawsheen Realty Co. - Oct. 30, 1937 - b. 611 p. 177
Alexander M. & Bella M. Blamire - June 30, 1945 - b. 674 p. 410
Joseph A. & Dorothy J. Tassinari - July 9, 1954 - b. 794 p. 397
Stephen P. & Robbin R. Farley - Oct. 17, 1986 - b. 2332 p. 32
David A. & Simone J. Shrestinian - June 28, 1991 - b. 3278 p. 30
Paul A. & Regina C. DeBenedictis - Jan. 15, 2004 - b. 8516 p. 70
|Place||Shawsheen Village - Frye Village|
|Historic District||Shawsheen Village NRH District|
|Historic Name||Alexander & Bella Blamire House|
|Construction Date||1921 - 1922|
|Source||ERDS, ENRDL, AHS file, njs, style|
|Architectural Style||Colonial Revival|
|Roof||asphalt - hip|
|Major Alterations||replacement windows, asphalt roof replaced slate|
|Map and parcel||19-36|
|Recorded by||Stack/Mofford, James Batchelder|
|Organization||Andover Preservation Commission|
|Date entered||1975 - 1977, 8/10/2015|