cupola with glass windows
Themes - Architectural, Community Development, Education and Industry
Present owner Roman Catholic Archbishop 9/17/56,
Original owner; Mary Smith Byers;
The former convent for St. Augustine parish and the teaching nuns at the near by school was originally built as a carriage house and barn for Mary Smith Byers who built her new home at the corner of Central & School Street in 1892.
May 27, 1892 AT - A new barn for Mrs. Byers is to be built by contractor Brainard Cummings.
The gambrel roof design was to compliment the same style roof on her home.
When her property was sold to Jerome Cross, he used the carriage house as a garage, stable and riding academy.
Other uses - parochial school - 1914. . tore down old South Parish Manse and created 36 Central Street. Later they sold to Judge Cann, who sold to Jerome Cross, Sr. of Cross Coal Company. He built this carriage house to go with 36 Central Street property, after 1900.
In 1914, Rev. Frederick S. Riordan, C.S.A. of St. Augustine's Church purchased the Henry Tyer home and estate at 1 Chestnut St. and established the Sisters of Notre Dame there. Here they began a parochial school until St. Augustine's was built at corner of Central and Chestnut, former site of H.H. Tyer estate.
In 1951 the carriage barn was remodeled under direction of Saint Augustine's rector, Rev. P.J. Campbell into a new convent for the Sister of Notre Dame. It was still used as a convent 1977. As more lay teacher were hired the building was too large for the remaining nuns and the parish then used it as a religious education center which ended being used by St. Augustine's in 2006. Now empty and upkeep expensive the building began to deteriate. It was raze by the parish in 2010 and is now an expanded play area for the students at St. Augustine's School
Andover Historical Society files.
Fuess, Claude; Andover: Symbol of New England, 1959, p. 337.
Saint Augustine's Parish, Andover, Mass. 1866-1966-100th anniversary (centennial of church as independent parish)
One Hundredth Anniversary, Saint Augustine's Parish, 1852-1952, Lawrence 1952 (centennial of organization as mission of St. Mary's, Lawrence. )
|Historic District||Not Applicable|
|Historic Name||Sisters of Notre Dame Convent|
|Original Use||carriage house|
|Architectural Style||Greek Revival|
|Foundation||stone and concrete|
|Major Alterations||remodeled in 1951 Razed 2011|
|Acreage||less than one acre, 24,600 sq. ft., 115' frontage|
|Map and parcel||55-114|
|Organization||Andover Historical Commission|