Farmhouse style with Italianate hood roof over front entrance.
Shawsheen Village was named after the Native American name for the river Shawshin, which means Great Spring. Prior to Shawsheen Village this area was known as Frye Village. Most of the streets in the new Village were named for Castles & Cathedrals in Great Britain. Union Street however pre-dates Shawsheen Village. It was once referred to as the “low road from Frye Village to Lawrence" and also named South Union in the 1920's. Union St. and North Main were both open to two way traffic prior to the construction of Route 495 in 1962.
This home was not built as part of the Shawsheen Village development from 1918-1924 but was built earlier in the 1850s. William M. Wood, President of the American Woolen Company hired about eight different architects to design the homes and structures for the village. Homes were leased through the Homestead Association with offices in the Post Office building in Shawsheen Square, later moved into the Administration Building. Shepley, Binney and the former Fletcher Streets that surround this property were acquired by Wood for development.
Each home incorporated a different look, style and design modifications, most noticeable with the front door entrances. Decorative details on the corner boards and a variety of ornamental trellises, window boxes all added the “icing on the cake, of the original designs. Most of the homes now sport a variety of different colors, no longer all white with green shutters as dictated in the original deeds. Many of the original screen porches have been enclosed for an additional room. Wood also incorporated two family duplexes in every section of the new Village.
This property was once owned by Sylvester Smith who purchased the property along with Rev. William Leverett on Oct. 14, 1854. Smith was living in Millbury but his property in 1860 in Frye Village included 61 acres of land and buildings for a value assessment of $2737. The1870 valuation values the house $650, two barns $300, 30 acre of land $1350, 12 acre young wood $180, the Barnard house $200, 15 acres land $600. farm stock and carriages $902. Rev Leverett quit claimed his interest in the property in 1854. Sylvester Smith died intestate on April 18, 1889 in Worcester. His heirs J. Walter Smith and Clenora L. Smith are granted the estate through probate.
Sylvester Smith estate valuation in 1900 included the house at 49 Union St, two barns, 28 1/2 acres of land, 1 3/4 acres and a 12 acre woodland lot. The estate was then transferred in August 1901 to Howard E. Sumner, husband of Cleora L. (Smith) Sumner who was then made a trustee of the estate. Cleora later sold the property on Aug. 14, 1909 to Henry P. Binney, trustee of the American Woolen Co. The property was leased through the years until the property was deed to the American Woolen Co. in Dec.1920.
It is interesting to note that the 1901 map of Frye Village locates the Chickering St. west terminus at Agawam Street, now Shepley St. Merrick St. is now Binney St. and a connector street at the east end was named Madison St.but never built by Wood. Deeds reference these earlier names.
The property was sold to Bror G. & Martina Blomquist on January 2, 1923. Binney and Shepley Streets were designed around the Blomquist property. Bror Gustave Blomquist was born on April 11, 1890 in in Angelholm, Skane Sweden. He was the son of Gustave & Karolina Blomquist who immigrated to America in 1894 when Bror was just four years of age. He had one sister Lilly and a brother Ejner born in Andover in 1901. Gustave lived at 35 Poor Street and worked on the estate of William M. Wood for many years as a coachman and hosteler, caring for the horses and livery. Gustave had served as a Calvary officer in Sweden prior to coming to the States.
Bror became an electrician and worked at the Pacific Mills in Lawrence. He served in the Navy during WWI and after his return married Martina Johnson (Jenson) in 1919. Martina was born on Oct. 15, 1889in Maine, daughter of Lars Christina and Pauline P. (Vinther) Jenson of Denmark. Bror did sell a portion of the property, 9000 sq. feet, to Wood and the American Woolen Co. in April 1923. The house number in 1926 was listed as #41 Union St. but Valuation of 1900 list it as #49. The adjoining property at 45 - 47 Union remain out of sinc and the house numbers are reversed creating confusion when researching occupying residents. The Blomquists however owned the property for 50 years. ["My great Uncle Bud (Bror Blomquist) lived on Union Street. He raised champion English Setters and used the prefix "Shawsheen" for his dogs' names. (Shawsheen Flora, Shawsheen Iris etc.)" Julie Shaw 3/2016] The couple had no children. Bror died on May 26, 1967 intestate. The Probate courts then released the property to his widow Martina. Martina then sold to Gregory J. & Linda M. Dudak on July 31, 1971.
Essex County Registry Deeds, Salem, MA
Essex Northern Registry Deeds, Lawrence, MA
Andover Maps, 1852, 1872, 1888, 1906, 1926
Frye Village map 1901
Andover Street Directories
Andover Townsman, obituaries
Mills, Mergers and Mansions, by Edward Roddy 1982
See Map plan #876 – June 1932 – Textile Realty Co -Lot Blomquist
Map #1050 – March 1937 – amended map #876 for narrowing street.
Sylvester P. Smith and William Leverett
Sylvester P. Smith - Oct. 14, 1854 - b. 451 leaf 293 - Salem deeds
Sylvester P. Smith estate, of Worcester, MA - died. Apr. 18, 1889
J. Walter Smith and Cleora L. Smith of Worcester, MA heirs
Howard E. Sumner - Aug. 9, 1901 - b. 187 p. 497
Cleora L. (Smith) Sumner, Trustee - 1901
Henry P. Binney, Trustee of AWCo. - July 30, 1909 - b. 277 p. 314
American Woolen Co. Dec. 30, 1920 - b. 435 p. 215 -(3rd tract of paragraph 4)
Bror G. & Martina Blomquist - Aug. 24, 1922 - b. 471 p. 46
Bror G. Blomquist estate, Martina Blomquist, heir - d. May 26, 1967 - intestate - Probate
Gregory J. & Linda M. Dudak - July 31, 1971 - b. 1176 p. 607
Roland H. & Eleesa P. Constanineau - Dec. 11, 1975 - b. 1273 p. 330
Roland H. Constanineau - Jan. 27, 1993 - b. 3675 p. 52
June G. McLaughlin - Dec. 16, 1994 - b. 4184 p. 73
Roland H. & June G. Constanineau - Nov. 10, 1997 - b. 4895 p. 267
Anthony F. Bono and June G. McLauhlin (Constanineau) - July 2, 2014 - b. 13904 p. 27
Additional Smith deeds;
Sylvester Smith - Sept. 1, 1871 - b. 10 p. 578 lot of land from Catherine S. Robbins & Tarbell W. Robbins
from George H. Smith - Apr. 8, 1872 - b. 13 p. 513
from James S. Batchelder to George H. & Sylvester Smith - Apr. 8, 1867 - b. 657 leaf 175 rec. Apr. 8, 1872
|Place||Shawsheen Village - Frye Village|
|Historic District||Not Applicable|
|Historic Name||Sylvester P. Smith House|
|Present Use||residence - two family|
|Construction Date||1852 - 1854|
|Roof||asphalt - gable|
|Outbuildings / Secondary Structures||Attached barn|
|Major Alterations||addition to the rear of house and barn|
|Map and parcel||34-31|
|Recorded by||James S. Batchelder|
|Organization||Andover Preservation Commission|
|Date entered||October 11, 2015|